Which is the best TD concert which you have attended?

RAYMAN1970
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Which is the best TD concert which you have attended?

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

This is an easy question because I have only ever been to ONE TD concert!

I will never forget the day. It was Saturday, September 17th, 1988 at the historical Saenger Theater in New Orleans (my home town). My girlfriend at the time went with me, but she was only a casual TD listener. I was a DIE HARD fan!

Andy Summers was the opening act. He performed songs from his soon-to-be-released album "Mysterious Barricades". Wonderful performance, but you can all guess what I was REALLY waiting for.

It was sort of a "new era" for the band, because long-time member, Chris Franke, was no longer with them. I got to experience Froese, Haslinger, and Wadephul and that experience was nothing short of mind-blowing. The lights, the music both combined to create a musical "experience" for me; not just a concert. It was practically a spiritual experience. My heroes, right there before me, performing absolute MAGIC.

One song I had never heard before captivated me and I wondered what it was for the longest time. It wasn't until the Spring of the following year that I finally identified the song when it was released as part of the sountrack to the film "Miracle Mile". The song - "After the Call". Wow.

At one point, I remember Edgar coming out onto the stage with his white Fender Stratocaster and the crowd around me began to cheer and scream. There he was - Maestro Froese - in all of his glory.

Ever since that night, I have been hoping they would return to the US to someplace close enough for me to be able to attend. Alas, that was never to be.

I miss Edgar. Even though I never met him face-to-face, he was, and still is, a HUGE part of my life. The music of Tangerine Dream will ALWAYS be a part of who I am. Edgar and his vision will live on inside of me as long as I am a resident of this current "cosmic address".

Thank you, Edgar, for the timeless memeories and inspiration. Thank you for the laughter, the tears, the excitement.....

Thank you for the JOURNEY.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Enjoyed reading that excellent post Rayman.

Especially this bit, made me smile.........and remember my own concert experience......
RAYMAN1970 wrote:
At one point, I remember Edgar coming out onto the stage with his white Fender Stratocaster and the crowd around me began to cheer and scream. There he was - Maestro Froese - in all of his glory.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

For sheer atmosphere,and the enthusiastic audience,it would have to be the 'London Eye' concert. The weather was absolutely awful,but it did not dampen the spirit of the fans,who gave the band one of the best receptions that I ever saw,personally. Fantastic night 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

epsilon75 wrote:For sheer atmosphere,and the enthusiastic audience,it would have to be the 'London Eye' concert. The weather was absolutely awful,but it did not dampen the spirit of the fans,who gave the band one of the best receptions that I ever saw,personally. Fantastic night 8)
A great gig CJ!
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
paul wood

Post by paul wood »

GlynRichards wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:For sheer atmosphere,and the enthusiastic audience,it would have to be the 'London Eye' concert. The weather was absolutely awful,but it did not dampen the spirit of the fans,who gave the band one of the best receptions that I ever saw,personally. Fantastic night 8)
A great gig CJ!
Totally agree! However, the omens at first were not good. We'd all waited outside in the pouring rain for what seemed like an eternity, so by the time we were eventually admitted most of us were damp, tired and a tad fed up. However, all this inconvenience was instantly put behind us when the opening moments of 'Trauma' came over the sound system...the music built & built until - the tabs opened to the reveal the band in their full glory bathed in shifting laser beams, cue a massive cheer from the crowd showing their appreciation of surely one of the best beginnings ever to a TD gig.

We were treated to a three hour epic that night, climaxing in the first ever live version of 'Cloudburst Flight'. Then afterwards the band did a marvellous meet & greet, with Edgar on particularly humourous form.

Thankfully we all have access to the superb video of the concert, but I am proud to say I was there!