Baumann has left TD

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Baumann has left TD

Post by Jon »

No comments about this?

A pity it didn't last.
Steve C

Re: Baumann has left TD

Post by Steve C »

Jon wrote:No comments about this?

A pity it didn't last.
Yes Jon. I'm sad that this collaboration never materialised. I'll still be intrigued to see what Peter does on a solo basis after so long out of the music scene. However, the chance to hear what Peter might have recorded with the band members has gone and we can only imagine what might have been recorded.
Network23

Post by Network23 »

A pity it didn't last.
Here's a comment:

I'm surprised the album isn't done. I honestly thought it was near completion or at the very least, a work in progress. The news suggests Peter left without contributing anything significant. I thought they were working off "sketches" Edgar and Peter had already done before Edgar passed away.

Oh, well.
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

It doesn't really surprise me -- making music is a very emotional and personal thing, and chances are you don't gel well with your mates. I wouldn't be all too surprised had there been a clash of characters and egoes.

Not to forget, Baumann probably hadn't touched a musical instrument in years, and when he started making music again perhaps he found out exactly why he had quit many years ago. Also, there was a lot of speculation and anticipation which also exerted a considerable amount of pressure on both the musicians and the musical outcome -- not to mention the financial aspect.

Not all too ideal circumstances to work under.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

I'm not surprised, and i find that the whole thing was idealistic at best, and more than likely prevailing on Peter's ideas about music, which I am not sure that anyone at the current TD could relate to at all, as it is likely that Peter's ideas and thoughts in music are way too idealistic, and not exactly usable with the current players that do not use that style of composition or design in music.

It's tough. I think that many of us would have loved to see it, but that's just like us thinking that even Christopher Franke has a chance, and he is much more attuned to the instruments and the music, than Peter would be, unless someone thinks that Chris does not have the compositional or ideals to help define more music these days ... he certainly has not been as active on it for some time. But, honestly, the reappearance of peter Baumann into the mix, was just this side of totally weird ... even strange folks like Eberhard Schoenner, Peter Michael Hamel, Michael Hoenig and others in the German scene alone, would be better suited, is my thinking.

Again, as I thought ... whatever there is in those archives ... is going to be a problem ... no one can agree on anything, and everyone wants to do something different. And unless you have someone to throw the whip at the piano ... literally in this case ... it is not likely to happen and have people work together to create something of interest. I'm almost guessing that what Peter came up with was Mysterious Semblance ... Opus 35 ... with more contortions on the sound and the knob! I would love it ... but not sure everyone else would ... and the current folks definitely wouldn't!

I also mentioned on another thread that the time constraints and expanse would be very bad for everyone concerned, and it would create some difficult circumstances financially for all of them. you have to give up too much, to be able to expand on this ... and as much as you and I think that the TD folks are OK, burning resources on paying those folks a nice stipend ... is probably very difficult, and the reason why TD and Edgar toured so much ... they get the cash up front!
rigel

Post by rigel »

I understood that Baumann and Froese were working on ideas last year, which must have been a strong part of why Baumann wanted to get involved in the Quantum project with Thorsten and Schnauss. He may have left now, but perhaps it's possible that some of his contributions might have been recorded and will be included on the Quantum album...?
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

rigel wrote:I understood that Baumann and Froese were working on ideas last year, which must have been a strong part of why Baumann wanted to get involved in the Quantum project with Thorsten and Schnauss. He may have left now, but perhaps it's possible that some of his contributions might have been recorded and will be included on the Quantum album...?
Or possibly Thorsten and Schnauss already had it down, and Peter's additions, were not relevant enough for the piece of music?

My feeling is that Peter's ideas about music are not well developed, and he has not played enough on the equipment to get that ... but that's my thinking, since Peter has not exactly been in the music business playing for some time. But I'm willing to bet that there is serious lack of ability to talk to each other, since 2 are extremely modern folks that know their computers and what they are doing, and I think Peter has a massive long way to go to understand how much things have changed since the early days ... again, that's my thinking. I'm almost thinking that Peter still thinks one instrument/one sound, and the other guys are already thinking 15 instruments with 15 effects all mixed up into one hand on the left ... blah and blah ... I'm not sure that Peter ever got to see that stuff a whole lot.

AND, this would be an area where Edgar would be able to translate well, since he was there, and the other guys weren't.
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

A pity it didn't last.

Where did you read/hear about this? I can't find a thing posted online anywhere aside from the post you made. Links, please.
ant

Post by ant »

:D was mentioned on the last TD newsletter. :D
Biggus Dickus
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

TheXFactor wrote:Where did you read/hear about this? I can't find a thing posted online anywhere aside from the post you made. Links, please.

To get the newsletter just subscribe at http://www.tangerinedream-music.com/index.php > TD NEWS
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

Lame. Of all the former members, Peter Baumann is the one I would have liked to see rejoin. Although few in number, his solo stuff is the best of all the releases put out by the ex-members (who had a significant tenure in the band). The Private Music label also put out some great releases back in the day, and he had a hand in all of those as well.
RAYMAN1970

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

Sad news.

When I first heard that Baumann was returning, I nearly wept. I knew at that point the legacy would live on.

I am in no way taking away anything from the talents and capabilities of the remaining members. It's just that having an element from TDs strongest creative period (in my opinion) return to the fold after so long to "carry on the tradition" was an incredibly exciting and heartwarming event for me.

I guess we will never truly know the reason for his departure. was Baumann causing too much friction? Did his ideas differ drastically from those of Thorsten and Ulrich? was he too controlling? was he "lost" or "clueless" with the new musical tehcnologies? was he "stuck in the past"? Did he give his input and leave on good terms?

So many quesitons and possible scenarios.

Regardless, the Quantum Years will continue and I await the newest release with great anticipation.....but I still miss Edgar :(
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

RAYMAN1970 wrote:Sad news.

When I first heard that Baumann was returning, I nearly wept. I knew at that point the legacy would live on.

I am in no way taking away anything from the talents and capabilities of the remaining members. It's just that having an element from TDs strongest creative period (in my opinion) return to the fold after so long to "carry on the tradition" was an incredibly exciting and heartwarming event for me.

I guess we will never truly know the reason for his departure. was Baumann causing too much friction? Did his ideas differ drastically from those of Thorsten and Ulrich? was he too controlling? was he "lost" or "clueless" with the new musical tehcnologies? was he "stuck in the past"? Did he give his input and leave on good terms?

Regardless, the Quantum Years will continue and I await the newest release with great anticipation.....but I still miss Edgar :(
Well said Rayman. My thoughts exactly.
Network23

Post by Network23 »

RAYMAN1970 wrote:Sad news.

While the reason for Baumann's initial departure is unknown — he was also absent for the Australian shows that Michael Hoenig subbed him on — his subsequent actions simply point to a guy who may have felt he had said all he could within the context of Tangerine Dream.

Peter recorded two phenomenally good solo albums, and then tried his hand at electro-pop. Then he founded Private Music, a label which put out many albums that I spent my hard-earned money on! Eddie Jobson, Patrick O'Hearn, Yanni (before he went to cr@p with Niki Nana), Azuma, Lucia Hwong, and then Tangerine Dream themselves. The circle was complete. Those were exciting times!

Peter and Edgar clearly didn't have the same kind of falling out that transpired with Johannes or Chris. Tangerine Dream recording no fewer than four complete albums, including the excellent Miracle Mile soundtrack, for Private Music is proof alone. Private's promotion of Optical Race was above standard and the band's '88 North American tour was successful.

I, too, lament Peter's departure. I'm really interested in what he'll do on his own. The guy certainly has an ear for keen melodies and arrangements. Maybe his style simply didn't gel with Thorsten's and Ulrich's, and the fact that Peter is based in California, probably had something to do with it.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

It does say "we will continue staying in touch and will possibly cooperate ... "

It's possible, if not likely, that these folks will need the ideas that Peter had to ferment a bit in their heads and then they can see how to blend them into what they do ... I simply think that the difference was too harsh, compared to what these guys have been doing for several years, and that "forcing it", was not going to make it work.

Still, by the time all this happens I will probably already have my ashes thrown over my favorite spot. Best of luck with all those ideas is all I can say, now ... or then!