Comments from Edgar's friends and colleagues

T4N63R1N3 DR34M
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Comments from Edgar's friends and colleagues

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

From Bernhard Beibl on Facebook:

've been very sad when I heard the bad news about Edgar's passing on the way back from my holidays.
The "Big Boss" as I called him over all the years has left this planet.
So many pictures immediately came to my mind. Experiences on the stage,
in the studio or simply private conversations and joking with this guy
who tried to persuade me once - as cool as a cowboy - that he could even do a slide over 4!!! octaves on the guitar!
Even though our musical ways parted last year due to financial disagreement I still respected Edgar very much
and continue to be thankful for my time with TD.
I will always keep him in good memory.
Who knows... if there's something like reincarnation, a topic which Edgar and I often talked about
we will maybe meet again someday somewhere somehow and who knows.. maybe rock together again!
I'm definitely looking forward to that!
Rest in peace, "Master of Knobs"...
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

from Hans-Joachim Roedelius:

Zum Tod von Edgar Froese:
Tut mir leid, Jerome und Bianca, dass er so gehen musste.
Edgar hat mir einmal sehr geholfen, das bleibt unvergessen, auch die Zeit mit ihm im Zodiak, als er noch nur Gitarre spielte, hier haben wir gemeinsam begonnen die Grenzen der allgemein akzeptierten Vorstellung davon, wie Musik zu sein habe, zu überqueren hinein in etwas, das dunnemals unvorstellbar gewesen ist.
Macht euch seine Einstellung zu eigen. Er hat nur die kosmische Adresse gewechselt.

I won't post the Google translation as it's a little rough grammatically, but anyone who does it on their own will get the general idea.
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

RAYMAN1970 wrote:It's been a week since the passing of our beloved friend and musical hero. We have heard from many of his band bates, both past and present as well as his musical contemporaries and fans from around the world, but NOTHING from Chris Franke; not a word.
Jon wrote:I asked Franke's producer/recordist Edgar Rothermich if there would be a statement from Franke. His response was simply "I don't know".

Nice to read the words from Mann and Jarre though.

I was thinking the same thing as far as ex-TD members are concerned. Comments from most of the recent members ("Eastgate Years" & "Quantum Years"), his wife and son of course, and Paul Haslinger. That's it?
ant

Post by ant »

:( Has anyone seen any comments from Johannes Schmoelling? So nice to see the comments from everyone else like JMJ, Brian May, William Friedkin and Michael Mann. No matter where Mr Froese went he left a lasting impression. What a man he was!! :(
Biggus Dickus
Rubyconesque

Post by Rubyconesque »

I heard with a little shock and surprise last week of Edgar's passing when I came to this site to check of possible tour dates. I calmly went and told my family and and phoned a few friends - with little emotion.
TD has been a major influence in my life since I heard Phaedra back in the mid 70's.
These last few days have gone by and I have read all the messages of condolence.
Yesterday and this morning I listened to my favourite album 220 Volts all alone -full blast ....and realised again the sheer genius of Edgar's composition and how they had permeated my life...the directionof my life has changed completely thanks to Tangerine Dream and I would not be the person I am today had I not experienced The Dream! My whole family have enjoyed the live concert experience many times driving down to Shepherds Bush for the evening - and we always came away thinking 'that was great'!
Earlier, I wen onto Youtube and watched Edgar and Linda perform live 'Blue Bridge'...and watching Edgar, the tears welled up in my eyes and streamed down my cheeks at the loss of the man who was a constant companion to me with his music for the last 44 years with his music!
God Bless you Edgar, may you find the great peace that you gave me and all of your fans over the years.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

It has been moving to read all these comments about the great man.

Especially nice to see those comments from Bernhard Biebel. Brought a smile to my face, which has been difficult these past few days.
dream2000

Post by dream2000 »

:cry: its been a week now since Edgar passed away and still cant believe it . I have been a fan for over 30 years and played his music all the time and was looking forward to more concerts this year .
He might be gone from our world but never from our memories, his music will carry on in our hearts.
until we meet again in the new world
RIP Edgar
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
Sfearical Sequence wrote:
Insvims wrote:I don't know who this Dean De Benedictis is (two posts above), but it hurts to read his words.
He did a cover version of "Exit" on Tangerine Ambience.
He also did the cover of Phaedra from the same CD, performing as Surface 10
Thanks. I thought he did another track on one of the two CDs, but couldn't find it. I had forgotten that he is also Surface 10. He is also featured on the Eno tribute CD doing a version of Bowie and Eno's "Warszawa."
tomkorth

Post by tomkorth »

I have been an Edgar and TD fan for 25 years. Have been fortunate to see them twice in the last couple of years-Moogfest and the Mountain Winery in California. Just joined the forum to pay my respects to Edgar and give sincere condolences to his family. Thank you Edgar for all of the joy that your music has given me and all of your fans. R.I.P. my friend.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Last weekend was for myself and many others difficult, sad and I listened to Edgars music in a way I never did before. It was a reflective kind of listening. On occasions uplifting on others a tear came.
The mala kunia cup disc track magalmasala at about 2.20 in has the most beautiful melody and although it's melancholic is one of Edgars most beautiful compositions
Simply beautiful.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

The Klaus Schulze site has also added a personal drawing of EF:

http://klaus-schulze.com/welcome.htm
Jon

Post by Jon »

David Wright:

A few days after hearing the sad news of the passing of personal friend Steve Roberts, who has been an influential writer and contributor to the EM scene in the UK, the global em scene was shocked by the sudden passing of one of its founding fathers, Tangerine Dream’s Edgar Froese.

I can’t believe anyone out there even only remotely interested in em doesn’t know the influence that Edgar and his music has had for almost half a century! He helped define a style that has not only endured, but evolved into so many modern styles that have, arguably, left the original sound and style behind. But that’s another discussion. The simple fact is that most electronic music fans and musicians know who Tangerine Dream and Edgar Froese are, in the same way that rock and pop fans know who Pink Floyd and the Beatles are.

The influence Edgar and his music has had on modern culture and electronic music is immense. Through groundbreaking albums to film music, Tangerine Dream have released a staggering 316 combined albums, soundtracks, singles and samplers. They’ve challenged the em scene and their fans by changing and evolving their sound, style and personal over the years, but have always retained the core essence that is ‘Tangerine Dream’.

Often imitated but never even remotely close to being matched, let alone bettered, Edgar Froese and Tangerine Dream defined electronic music in a way that no-one else has. They were the original pioneers of melodic, experimental sequencer style electronic music with form and structure. It was intelligent, moody, well constructed music that had the ability to transport us to, well, wherever our minds wanted to be transported to!

And when modern composers listen to those early recordings, it’s worth reminding ourselves that Edgar and Co. didn’t have the resources we have today to create the music. What may sound a simple sequence, sound or idea to us now was probably not quite as simple for them to create then. There were no endless tracks to record to, no workstations, no array of soft synths and thousands of presets, sequencer loops or banks of effects, no computers etc etc. Those guys created it all in a way the many may argue has been lost now to modern musicians – again a discussion for another day.

I saw Tangerine Dream live numerous times in the UK during the 70’s 80′ and 90’s and enjoyed every concert. They have been a part of my life since I bought Phaedra in 1972 and have been a huge influence of my music. Edgar lives on through the huge body of music he helped create and there are some Tangerine Dream albums that really do resonate for me because they remind me of important moments in my own life. And that is what music is, an emotional connection on many levels.

One such memory brings this post back to the beginning. I’m reminded of a great summer evening a few years ago when staying at Steve Robert’s home. We were watching the classic Tangerine Dream ‘Poland’ concert and we’d had a really enjoyable conversation about life, the universe and electronic music. As we sipped our wine we both laughed and agreed that “It doesn’t get any better than this”!

I’m sure that Steve Roberts and Edgar Froese will continue with similar conversations, and more, at that great gig in the sky.

I’ll be saying my own personal farewell to Steve very soon.

So to Edgar, “Thank you. Thank you for all the wonderful music, for the inspiration, and Goodbye”.
studio308

Post by studio308 »

Ron Boots - deep words, nearly poetry. Dean De Benedictis - bravo, a real cry of soul! Underline many statements. Jean Michel Jarre - glad he paid the tribute. Jarre is my hero and he is still being well, hope to hear much more of his music, besides endless remasters.

I was just interested about that would Edgar Froese appear in main news in Russia. But only some music sites wrote copypasted translated words. I'm sad about this... Demis Roussos was everywhere (just to compare, he was a hero too). Wished I could write such a tribute text about Edgar Froese, if I knew him and he knew me. Just a small home musician that grew on Tangerine Dream and Jean Michel Jarre, like most of others. He is granted with that we (want or not) are the seeds that grew from his talent and his influence. He is like one of electronic apemans who made several generations of electronic people.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Jon Jenkins:

"This album changed my life.
Thank you for everything, Edgar. You will be missed..."

(Then he linked to Force Majeure on Spotify)
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Glenn Main:

"A big musician, and a great person has left us all.
Edgar Froese,You have been a big inspiration for me over the years.
I grew up with your music, and I spent so many hours listening to you.
You have made a musical footprint that will be here for generations to come.
You will live on forever trough your timeless music.
Thank you for sharing your inner feelings with us trough your music...
Hope you are in peace and moved on to something even bigger now..
Have a safe journey Edgar Froese"