Comments from Edgar's friends and colleagues

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Comments from Edgar's friends and colleagues

Post by Jon »

Let this be a thread for comments from Edgar's friends and colleagues. If you happen to see a message somewhere, please share it here.

Here are some from Facebook:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Boots:
Terribly sad news, Edgar Froese died on Tuesday 20.1.15.
He has been an inspiration all these years for me and was one of the finest people in the EM scene!!
All my best wishes to Bianca, Jerome Froese and family.
Thank you for everything you did for the EM scene en me in person!!
Edgar, I will never forget you, your humor or great generosity.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thorsten Quaeschning:
It's incredible and fanthomless sad.
I can´t even realize it.
My greatest teacher, master, colleague and friend – Edgar Froese passed away on January 20th.
He was the most inspiring and wisest person I have ever met.
It´s a huge loss.
Jerome Froese:
Dear friends & colleagues, the Captain has left the ship ... I'm very sorry to inform you that my father Edgar Froese passed away on Tuesday afternoon (20th of January) in Vienna. And as you already know: Life plays no encores. Rest in peace Edgar, you will be sadly missed
Ulrich Schnauss:

it's very hard to find words in such an unbearably painful and sad time.
edgar froese (tangerine dream) has died on tuesday.

i will remember edgar as a person
who's been caring and empathetic in dark times,
who was never afraid to give either encouraging or critical feedback wherever necessary,
who's been incredibly inspirational on a philosophical level (far beyond just plain musical concerns) and had a profound impact on my thinking.
i guess i've often struggled to recognize authority figures - however, it's never been like that with edgar: even when we disagreed, i always respected his input and more than once had to acknowledge that he was right in hindsight.
essentially, in many ways edgar had the qualities of the kind of father most of us would like to, but few are actually lucky enough to have.
i'm eternally grateful for the advice and wisdom edgar has shared - and i will treasure it for the rest of my life.

finally, the world of electronic music has lost one of its most unique talents - and an artist who constantly managed to challenge and re-invent himself. rather than one of the classics from the 70s or 80s i'm therefore posting a video for a recent work by edgar below - one of my favourite pieces of the last ten years.

the dream will never be the same.
Iris Camaa:
I will always remember you this way Edgar - you´ll be missed by all of us so much!! Thank you deeply for all we shared together in all those years .... may your soul be peaceful and full of joy where ever you are now!
Linda Spa:

Goodbye Edgar.

Thank you for going together this long way for almost 25 years.
It will always be a part of me. The last steps must have been hard for you.
You have reached the eternal paradise now.
See you there, somewhere over the rainbow in tangerine heaven.

The dream lives on.
Forever.
Servus, Linda
Film director Bobby Roth:
My dear friend Edgar Froese, the founder of Tangerine Dream, has passed. I loved and worked with Edgar beginning in 1984 in Berlin... and later in Vienna and LA. He was never less than a fabulous gentleman and immense talent; teaching me so much as he produced wonderful music for HEARTBREAKERS, DEAD SOLID PERFECT, TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT, RAINBOW DRIVE, THE MAN INSIDE, and THE SWITCH. He was a complete person; humble and compassionate, funny and intelligent beyond belief. He will be missed by so many. If you were lucky enough to have known him this resonates, if not, listen to some of his fantastic scores from movies like THIEF, MIRACLE MILE, and RISKY BUSINESS. I send my love to his widow and his son.. . and also to his former partner, Christopher Franke. I am so sorry for your loss.
Hoshiko Yamane:
in English)
This is a message to you I am deeply sorry for during my solo tour in Japan.
On January 20th, Tuesday afternoon, my boss of Tangerine Dream Edgar Froese suddenly and unexpectedly passed away from the effects of a pulmonary embolism in Vienna.
We were on Tour on last November in Melbourne. This picture is that time on beach in Melbourne.
I met him first time 2011. I was just classical music student from Japan. My electronic music experience is everything from Edgar. I learned so many things. as a musician,as a performer,all electronic music.
First time we met,he said me,
I understand your technic is perfect. But I'm interesting for more crazy people. something new things. What can you play others? What is possibility of you?
He is looking for crazy,new...everytime.
After the first concert he said me,
I'm respect you as a musician.
I never forget what he said.
He gave me electronic violin,Ablton Push,
You can find your possible. Music is not that,that you just play the violin.
I am very very respect to Edgar. never forget.
Thank you Edgar. Rest in Peace.
Hoshiko
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Insvims

Re: Comments from Edgar's friends and colleagues

Post by Insvims »

Paul Haslinger:

saddened by the loss of my friend Edgar Froese - i am grateful for the years we spent working, touring and living together. i will miss him very much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Klaus Schulze:

R.I.P.
Edgar Froese
1944-2015

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon Kirkman:

I have just come in to some dreadfully sad news. Edgar Froese the founder of Tangerine Dream passed away suddenly on Tuesday. From my own perspective working on projects with Edgar there is so much running round my head right now. Edgar was a lovely guy, funny, witty and incredibly friendly, he was however one of the most creative people I have met. I will mourn the man as many will and treasure the memories of working with one of the great pioneers. A great composer and a maverick. We shall not see his like again sadly. My thoughts and condolences are with his wife Bianca and his family and the other mebers of Tangerine Dream as Edgar embarks on another adventure of his own. Edgar, until we meet again God Speed. I will miss you

Brian May:

So sad to hear of the sudden death
of my friend
Edgar Froese,
founder of Tangerine Dream.

Great memories

- RIP -

Bri
Schmoelling in wonderland

Post by Schmoelling in wonderland »

Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)

In memory of the creator of many of my favourite albums, Edgar Froese of Tangerine Dream, who passed away this week.

Steven made a TD "special" on his playlist

23rd January 2015
Edgar Froese 1944-2015

Tangerine Dream – Zeit
Tangerine Dream – Atem
Tangerine Dream – Phaedra
Edgar Froese – Aqua
Tangerine Dream – Rubycon
Edgar Froese – Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
Tangerine Dream – Stratosfear
Tangerine Dream – Sorcerer
Tangerine Dream – Cyclone
Edgar Froese – Pinnacles
marcurian

Post by marcurian »

(comment originally in Turkish... translated to English)

"He was one of those people who added all the best values to life, to art and to music.
Only a few people managed to teach me what I've learned from him.
I bow in front of his precious remembrance and immortal works. "

Can Atilla
Turkish EM artist
Jon

Post by Jon »

Another one from Ron Boots:

Edgar Froese - 1944 - 2015

We have lost a great soul.
A founder, A Musical Poet and a Visionary father.
A man of renowned stature.
A friend, A mentor but first of all A Unique Musician/Artist.
We can all feel the free spirit in the music of Tangerine Dream.
The free spirit in the music of Edgar Froese.

There is Poetry, there is Sculpture and there are Paintings.
But no art form goes so directly to ones heart as music does.
It touches our soul, our inner self, our true being.
And Edgar has touched so many in his life through his music.
He surely did touch mine.

From the 3 biggest influences in Electronic music he was the closest to me.
Vangelis I admire from a far but never met.
Schulze has been an inspiration and the few times I met him he was a great joy to be around.
But Edgar was a friend, gave me opportunities, always encouraged me to go on the path I choose.

We are the fortuned ones who lived to see him create and perform his music.
The music that will live on in times to come.
And now he is with the gods and angels making the heavens a more beautiful place.
He will dine at the same table as Beethoven, Bach, Miles Davis, Freddy Mercury, Jimmy Hendrix,
Frank Zappa and all those other true visionaries of music that have passed away.

We as mortal coil will have to wait until we will meet up with him again.
But let us rejoice in the fact that we can remember him and his music for ages to come.
Let the Dream continue every time we listen to the music of Edgar!
We will not forget.
I will not forget!

With my deepest respect and love I whish Bianca, Jerome, Thorsten and all his beloved ones all the best in these troublesome times.
Keep in mind that he touched millions with his music on this Earth, and although this world has become paler.
The heavens will light up with the musical flame he is bringing to them.
I will think of you with all my heart and hope that the despair and sorrow will pass soon.
And his remembrance will be an inspiration for times to come.

Yours Ron Boots.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Jonn Serrie:

Edgar Froese was a beam of electronic light illuminating the quantum path for others to follow. Thank you Edgar, you are forever within the spirit of space music...
Schmoelling in wonderland

Post by Schmoelling in wonderland »

2 posts on the Twitter account of William Frienkin

1st one :
With love and support to Bianca, the beloved widow
Of Edgar Froese. He's gone but his Dream will live on.

2nd one :
Another King died last Friday. Edgar Froese.
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

from Dean De Benedictis

I have lost some people who mean a lot to me over the last 4 years, but I think that's just the price someone like me pays for caring so much about a lot of people.
I'm not ashamed to admit that right now I am experiencing great feelings of regret and sadness. Last night I got news that someone passed away this week. Even though this person was famous, he was actually far more important to the world than he was ever given the right amount of credit for when he was alive. Edgar Froese, founding member of Tangerine Dream, and one of my few Godlike idols, is gone. I'm not doing well with this, because meeting him and/or connecting with him in any form was one of the last important things on my preverbal bucket list.
There was actually once a time when I told myself that if I met members Edgar and Christopher and Johannes, I would have fully lived and would then be okay with dying. A part of me still thinks that way, and I knew I should have at least emailed Edgar because he was getting on, but now it's too late. And it's really not just people like me. Check anywhere and you will find the entire world of electronic music mourning the loss of this man. He was literally one of the fathers of modern day electronic music. Almost everything with an electronic music influence that you hear today, anywhere, is because of Edgar and literally half a dozen other guys back in the 70s. Edgar and TD were in the company of Eno, Kraftwerk and Walter Carlos. He was that significant, some argue even more so.
These few people made what modern electronic music is today, and we thanked Edgar for it by laughing at him and making fun of the somewhat cheesy direction he ended up taking. I regret this immensely, because now I realize how admirable a person he was for not only sticking to his guns and following his bliss, but also not giving up, WELL into old age. Really, we forget that THAT is the equivalent of a true life super hero, not those ridiculous comic books. He was to be exalted even more for this, yet I gave up on him.
At one point of my life it wasn't considered hip to appreciate him anymore, and I wholeheartedly shared this few with others. He grew predictable as an artist, and I actually thought that that was grounds enough to loose faith in one of my truest heroes. How wrong I was. It just seems so pathetic that it takes someone dying to open the eyes of people like myself.
Now I not only see how wrong I was, but I can see how silly and frivolous we have all become as fans. We are selfish jerks when it comes to our preferences and appreciations. "I don't care about him/them/it. I don't like that stuff. Screw them. I know what I like. etc. etc." What total selfish jerks we've become, in the name of "what we like." And now I've lost an opportunity to connect with one of my most influential heroes because "I knew what I liked and didn't like." Really? Would it have really been so hard for me to occasionally visit Edgar and his world? Did I have to have such a compulsive craving for "the new NEW NEW" that anything less felt like an empty waste of time? It's hard to believe that I was thinking that way, but I was, and I guess I'm admitting all of this right now because I suppose I'd like you all to take me as an example and possibly check that you're not making the same mistake with anyone else.
Edgar is the first of his kind to go, the first of the few people who are directly responsible for most of electronic music as it stands today. A historic man, without a doubt to many. Go and see for yourselves.
I haven't even begun to describe what this man's music and the music of Tangerine Dream means to artists like me, but I probably will at some point. Today I am actually so devastated that I can't sit in this room anymore; I need to do something more appropriate that will ease this. Edgar used to love the Mojave desert, and I eventually came to know that place intimately because of him. In honor of Edgar Froese, I'm going to drive out to the Mojave desert today in the afternoon, Pacific time, and broadcast myself live from there. I'm not sure what I'll do out there yet, but I just need to be there. I know I promised I would do tests again before attempting the next broadcast, but this situation calls for throwing all caution to the wind. If I can't get a signal for you guys, then I'm sorry in advance, but mainly I just have to go there. I'm sure I'll be over this by the end of the week, but right now I feel like I'm dying inside. Not sure what I'll do out there yet musically, Tangerine DJ set or live set, but whatever it is, will be in honor of Edgar.
My condolences go out to his loved ones. Many of them were talented people who worked with Edgar. Apparently he was just as amazing a man in person as we all imagined him to be.
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
logos

Post by logos »

Michael Mann:

The legendary director shares his memories of joining Tangerine Dream in their Berlin studio to craft the soundtrack to his first film 'Thief.'

I was shocked to hear about the loss of Edgar Froese. It seems as if we were working together about fifteen years ago, not thirty-five.

It was on my first picture, Thief, and Berlin was still a divided city. I had culled music ideas from Tangerine Dream's Alpha Centauri and Phaedra, that I referred to constantly during shooting. In post, after shipping a dupe of the film, many phone conversations and cues back and forth, we spent a week together on the final in their studio. Their studio was amazing. It was a gutted cinema near the Berlin Wall.

Earlier, I had been divided between choosing music regionally native to Thief, Chicago Blues, or going with a completely electronic score. The choice was intimidating because two very different motion picture experiences would result. Right then, the work of Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk and Faust was an explosion of experimental and rich material from a young generation coming of age out of the ruins and separating itself from WWII Germany. It was the cutting edge of electronic music. And, it had content. It wasn't sonic atmospheres. There was nothing in the UK or the States like it.

Tangerine Dream's Edgar Froese Dead at 70

Further, there was a relationship between the blues and Froese because he had started out as a blues guitarist. Even though their music was electronic, it had a twelve bar blues structure to most of it. More importantly he, as an artist and a man, was connected to the material reality of life on the street and he found musical inspiration there, as does the Blues. Culturally, he was attuned to the politics of the '60s and '70s. Berlin was still steeped in its recent history and its history… the Wall, shrapnel damage to building facades…was still evident.

The score was adventurous with some real voyages of discovery. Working with analog sequencers and synthesizers we were also processing sound effects, which I had brought in a suitcase on mag, so that ocean waves might crash in G Major, the same key as the cue. It was a wonderful artistic collaboration. Thinking back to what was at the time cutting edge technology but so primitive now, it was more fun. They were innovating processes and re-combining components to do stuff on frontiers that Moog never envisioned, as new ideas showed up.

It was Edgar's open spirit and embrace of possibilities that made it all occur. A somewhat unique soundtrack for its time was the result. Working together with band-mates Johannes Schmoelling and Christopher Franke with Froese in the lead in a gutted movie theater, hard by the Berlin Wall, it seems like not so long ago and it was the best of times.

Heartfelt condolences to his family and to all the talented people who knew him and worked with him over the years....
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

I don't know who this Dean De Benedictis is (two posts above), but it hurts to read his words.

Here are som words from Steve Roach:

"We have lost one of our great fathers of electronic music. As many of you know, Edgar Froese (founder of Tangerine Dream) passed away last week. Edgar once said - There is no death, there is just a change of our cosmic address. From his address on this plane his influence on the evolution of contemporary technology-based music, artists and the instruments we take for granted today is immense. Right now I am listening to a personal favorite and ongoing inspiration, his 1975 second solo album Epsilon In Malaysian Pale. A mystical and emotional farewell from his own being living on."
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Jean-Michel Jarre:

"Today electronic music is orphaned of one of its most important father figures, Edgar Froese, the soul of Tangerine Dream - Band.
Edgar and I always followed each others work. We started electronic music at the same time. We spent some time together recently and we became instant old friends. I remember his vision of Life, his humor, his mysterious smile.
Edgar, wherever you are in the weightlessness of space and time, be sure that you will always remain with me and with all of us through the timeless and unique sound of Tangerine Dream."
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

Insvims wrote:I don't know who this Dean De Benedictis is (two posts above), but it hurts to read his words.
He did a cover version of "Exit" on Tangerine Ambience.
RAYMAN1970

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

It's been a week since the passing of our beloved friend and musical hero. We have heard from many of his band bates, both past and present as well as his musical contemporaries and fans from around the world, but NOTHING from Chris Franke; not a word.
Jon

Post by Jon »

RAYMAN1970 wrote:It's been a week since the passing of our beloved friend and musical hero. We have heard from many of his band bates, both past and present as well as his musical contemporaries and fans from around the world, but NOTHING from Chris Franke; not a word.
I asked Franke's producer/recordist Edgar Rothermich if there would be a statement from Franke. His response was simply "I don't know".

Nice to read the words from Mann and Jarre though.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:
Insvims wrote:I don't know who this Dean De Benedictis is (two posts above), but it hurts to read his words.
He did a cover version of "Exit" on Tangerine Ambience.
He also did the cover of Phaedra from the same CD, performing as Surface 10