Oedipus Tyrannus unreleased version?

exit81
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Oedipus Tyrannus unreleased version?

Post by exit81 »

We're all famiiar with the 3 tracks that TD did for Oedipus Tyrannus at Chichester 1974; Overture, Zeus and Baroque, the best quality versions of which seem to have been released in the Tree project, TT46. But it wasn't until recently that I learned that TD rejected their first versions of the tracks (done at CBS studios). The later re-recording of the tracks at The Manor appear to be the better-quality versions released on the 'V' sampler and on TT46. But... I was recently listening to something called The Complete Oedipus Tyrannus; a fan-made collection of the 3 tracks, plus John Peel playing Mysterious Semblance on Radio 1. But track 4 was a 20 minute piece, which upon closer inspection turned out to be Overture, Zeus and Baroque grouped together as one 20 minute track with tiny gaps to seperate the 3 pieces. Sound quality was poor and very hissy. But what I found interesting was that the version of Zeus seemed to have slight differences to the version on TT46. The 2 versions SOUND the same when you listen casually, but listen carefully and I'm sure you can hear many of the weird sound effects played at diferent times, or grouped together differently, i.e. on one version, you get 2 sounds one after the other, but on the other version they don't follow in the same order. I then compared Overture, and am sure I found the same subtle differences. I guess if they recorded 2 versions of each track, then with this being 1974, the two versions would have each been improvised or recorded live with overdubs. With the unpredictable analogue gear of that era, it's to be expected that the two versions of each track had small differences. Has anyone else heard this 20 minute version from The Complete Oedipus Tyrannus? Care to do a careful comparison? Just in case we might have a nice rarity on our midst?
Cyclone

Re: Oedipus Tyrannus unreleased version?

Post by Cyclone »

Some info is on http://www.caby.de/klists/remcorr.txt:
'Oedipus Tyrannus' was recorded in June 1974 at CBS studios and mixed at
The Manor. There have only been three extracts heard: Overture (11min)
was on the "V" sampler LP, and this together with Zeus and Baroque(13min)
was broadcast from a private tape by John Peel on BBC. The actual
broadcast date, as confirmed by the book "In Session Tonight: The Complete
Radio 1 Recordings" by Ken Garner, was 11 July 1974.
There was no _live_ performance of the music at Chichester or anywhere
else. The three circulating tapes, 29.08.74 "BBC in Concert",
"BBC-Session" and "Chichester Festival" are all partially overlapping
excerpts from this same broadcast.