Optical Race

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by bigmoog »

also, OR on vinyl is very special as the die cut sleeve is very stylish and evocative of the age......also I find many tracks on the LP have a very positive upbeat and almost humourous feel

Sungate I really love for its uplifting soundscape :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I just listed it it again today. It does have one or two good tracks as people have said Sungate. but overall its probably an album I will listen to once in a blue moon.
akaihead

Post by akaihead »

A thought from 20 years ago.....

Remember getting this sometime after its official release (was it delayed or something in UK ???) as it was nearer the end of 88 when I got to buy it - dispite having been a TDholic since 74 I was unaware of the label change.
Anyway I loved Livemiles (still do one of my favs) and I recall on first listening to OR 'Jezz not a single seq in sight' but I liked the slick production and upbeat feel and polished cover. Then I got to 'Love Song' which to this day is still my favourite all time TD track - saved the day melody wise. Great coda pity its been extracted from subsequent re-releases.

Recent thought - I've never disliked anything - its all a journey - when its good its great (& I mean GREAT) and when its bad its..... well produced! :roll:
David Fox
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

akaihead wrote: - when its good its great (& I mean GREAT) and when its bad its..... well produced! :roll:
:D ROFL :D

Perfect description.
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

I've actually put One times One and Booster on hold as I am listening totally to Optical Race. It's a win, win situation because when my obsession with OR has eased then I can get back into the two new releases. :D
"Sydney till I Die"
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

I also have the CD Album and the Melrose Years Box set.

:!: :arrow:
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

Also starting to like Cat Scan. A very funky tune.
"Sydney till I Die"
hansx

Post by hansx »

Laserdisc Dream wrote:I also have the CD Album and the Melrose Years Box set.

:!: :arrow:
But the rest of that albums couldn't be in the shadow of OR in my opinion of course
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

Going to start listening to Lily on the Beach and Melrose next...but for the moment I am listening to OR endlessly.
"Sydney till I Die"
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

akaihead wrote:A thought from 20 years ago.....

Remember getting this sometime after its official release (was it delayed or something in UK ???) as it was nearer the end of 88 when I got to buy it - dispite having been a TDholic since 74 I was unaware of the label change.
Anyway I loved Livemiles (still do one of my favs) and I recall on first listening to OR 'Jezz not a single seq in sight' but I liked the slick production and upbeat feel and polished cover. Then I got to 'Love Song' which to this day is still my favourite all time TD track - saved the day melody wise. Great coda pity its been extracted from subsequent re-releases.

Recent thought - I've never disliked anything - its all a journey - when its good its great (& I mean GREAT) and when its bad its..... well produced! :roll:
"Love Song" is still on the Melrose Years set - only titled "Ghazal" (shortened from the original 1988 title "Ghazal (Love Song)".
timer

Post by timer »

I think this CD sounds digitally sterile ! too polished for my liking . :shock:
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

Is the version of Sun Gate that is on the 2003 OP the same as the one on Tangere Scales?
"Sydney till I Die"
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

SydneyFC wrote:Is the version of Sun Gate that is on the 2003 OP the same as the one on Tangere Scales?
Just played them both and the only difference i can hear is Iris,s percussion is not on the Tangines Scales version as it was on the 2003 Melrose Years version :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

i remember buying Optical Race on import and frantically searching through the booklet cos CF's name wasnt in it?! I remember reading the very small sleeve notes again & again thinking its gotta be on here somewhere!
It was a very odd & surreal moment realising a long time band member had just gone.
I know its probably been discussed here loads of times but is it true he left exactly the day after the Berlin 750th Ann.concert (livemiles pt.2)?
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

afterthought: on The Melrose Years set, does anyone elses cd make and odd skipping sound during Cool At Heart?

The cd timer remains true & steady but the cd sounds like its skipping.
(tried and tested on a dozen cd players).