The Island of the Fay

Justin
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Justin »

Top album, one of my fave TD releases of the last few years... until the next one!
Look for the sounds of Digital Horizons at http://digitalhorizons.bandcamp.com/ and on iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon Downloads and Reverbnation.
Erik

Post by Erik »

i'm halfway through, and i'm floored by how good this is.
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Anyone know how the string sounds were created at the end of the Cycle Of Eternity track? It sounds like a real string section to me but there's no credit for any strings on the album cover. Very nice piece of music BTW.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I've had the album for a week now and every listen it just gets better. I must admit after the first spin last Saturday I was a wee bit disapointed but of course I always give new TD albums a chance. IMO this is classic TD which harks back to the glory days of the 70's & 80's.
bp59

Post by bp59 »

got the album on Wednesday , very good, love cycle of eternity and darkness veiling the night. Look Forward to seeing if this is a change of direction. 8)
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

For me, it's the best TD album in many years. I think it's maybe even better than Jeanne d'Arc, Views from a Red Train, Summer in Nagasaki, The Endless Season and Seven Letters From Tibet, which were my favourites from the last 11 years.

Lots of melody, varied rhythms, sounds and styles, and a lot of beautiful textures. It's got mystery, some emotional moments.

I think Thorsten Quaeshning's contribution makes it outstanding. The combination of the two musicians is better than the sum of the parts, even if they sign seperately, nowadays.
I do wonder if there is actually only one of them playing alone on each track that they sign, which wouldn't exactly make it a "band" album...
HarryPotter No7

Post by HarryPotter No7 »

Darkness Veiling The Night is the best track I've heard from TD for quite some time......I can just imagine them playing it as an encore at The Lowry........Amazing!

Beauty Kissing Matter's Mouth comes in second.

For me it's quite clear the difference Thorsten's contributions make.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

HarryPotter No7 wrote:For me it's quite clear the difference Thorsten's contributions make.
You also like Picture Palace Music a lot then, I guess ?
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
HarryPotter No7 wrote:For me it's quite clear the difference Thorsten's contributions make.
Also recommend Babylon The Great Has Fallen, from Booster IV
HarryPotter No7

Post by HarryPotter No7 »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
Also recommend Babylon The Great Has Fallen, from Booster IV
I've got a couple of PPM CDs and yes, BTGHF from Booster 4 is another excellent TQ track as well as Day Shift from 40 Years Roadmap To Music - a very talented chap.
32 years + counting

TQ's VERNAL RAPTURE at the TDOC

Post by 32 years + counting »

I've sung TQ's praises elsewhere on this forum, and I'll keep doing it with tracks like DARKNESS VEILING THE NIGHT adding to his already superb canon.

I was looking around and discovered that he'd done a TDOC only track a while back called VERNAL RAPTURE, which everybody seemed to rave about....but it didn't make it on to BOOSTER IV.

I'm not a TDOC member, so would one of you kind folk please tell me if there's any way to buy this track from TD without joining?

And if not, is the download still available at the TDOC?

If it is, and if I join just to obtain this track, it will be the single most expensive piece of music I've ever bought....but I have a feeling it might well be worth it.

Thanks.
Nero

Post by Nero »

The 'Island of the Fay' is an excellent album just as good as the 'Endless Season', but different concerning the musical colours. The mysterious story of Edgar Allan Poe is obviously demanding that musical change.
My favourite tracks are 'Marmontel Riding On A Clef' (bombastic!), 'Fay Bewitching The Moon' (magical!), 'Death In The Shadow' (exceptional) and 'Beauty Of Antagonism (mysterious!)' - sorry, all Edgar's compositions.... I also like 'Breath Kissing Matter's Mouth' from Thorsten very much but I don't think that his 'Cycle Of Eternity' fits into this otherwise homogenous and well-structured album. It's too jazzy for my taste....
'Darkness Veiling The Night' is a good attempt, especially in the beginning, but it's quite a bit too repetitive and therefore lengthy.
But all in all I think it's not too fair to divide this great album into single pieces, because as a whole, as musical unity it works very well (except for 'Cycle of Eternity' - another track like 'Fay Bewitching The Moon' would have been much better - IMO).
8/10
(Endless Season: 9/10)
Chris Monk

Re: TQ's VERNAL RAPTURE at the TDOC

Post by Chris Monk »

32 years + counting wrote:I've sung TQ's praises elsewhere on this forum, and I'll keep doing it with tracks like DARKNESS VEILING THE NIGHT adding to his already superb canon.

I was looking around and discovered that he'd done a TDOC only track a while back called VERNAL RAPTURE, which everybody seemed to rave about....but it didn't make it on to BOOSTER IV.

I'm not a TDOC member, so would one of you kind folk please tell me if there's any way to buy this track from TD without joining?

And if not, is the download still available at the TDOC?

If it is, and if I join just to obtain this track, it will be the single most expensive piece of music I've ever bought....but I have a feeling it might well be worth it.

Thanks.
Just checked and it's still there.

I'm quite fond of TDOC. You quite often get rare tracks posted and there are lots of nice photos and videos.

There's a version of Boat to China I think is better than the version that was released.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
32 years + counting

VERNAL RAPTURE + TDOC

Post by 32 years + counting »

Thanks Chris.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and join.
Erik

Post by Erik »

i had no idea, i need another job
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "