Purgatorio (2004)
11%
Paradiso (2006)
7%
Madcap's Flaming Duty (2007)
54%

Total votes: 28

epsilon75
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by epsilon75 »

timer wrote:Its a great CD. 8)
I love it 8) :D :P
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

cantosis wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:MFD is definitely one of TD's finest hours.

looks like most people are in agreement ;)
I really do feel that MFD is quintessential TD. I did not like it much when I first heard it on the promo CD but at the Astoria 2007 it was very moving and powerful.... pure class. :P

There are also some of TD's finest songs on Purgatorio and Shy People

:!: :arrow:
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I so wanted to vote for something from the Dante series but decide to vote for MFD because it is so consistantly good. Very heartened to read that Tyger and Cyclone have their supporters too because I've always rated those albums very highly. It makes me think that the rumour of them being despised by the fans is pure doo-doo.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Chris Monk wrote:I so wanted to vote for something from the Dante series but decide to vote for MFD because it is so consistantly good. Very heartened to read that Tyger and Cyclone have their supporters too because I've always rated those albums very highly. It makes me think that the rumour of them being despised by the fans is pure doo-doo.
I've always disliked the vocals on Cyclone, did you not dislike them to start with?
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Chris Monk wrote:I so wanted to vote for something from the Dante series but decide to vote for MFD because it is so consistantly good. Very heartened to read that Tyger and Cyclone have their supporters too because I've always rated those albums very highly. It makes me think that the rumour of them being despised by the fans is pure doo-doo.

I hated Cyclone and Tyger in the 90s when I first got into TD but I was in my 20s then. Now I am older and uglier I`ll give them another try!
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I still have a very hard time listening to the vocals on Tyger, but there are some blindingly good instrumental sections which I LOVE. I think that the songs on Tyger would be sooooooooooo much better with Iris singing

Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Desert_Voyager wrote:I've always disliked the vocals on Cyclone, did you not dislike them to start with?
I was surprised to find out that Steve Jolliffe wasn't German, some of his phrasings on Cyclone sounds like Klaus Meine from the gawd-awful Scorpions!

However I rate it masterpiece, I like and admire Jolliffe to bring in some eccentrity into the band. It didn't always work during the tour, but he was a good addition to Froese and Franke. I also like his solo albums, as he's a good musician.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Pertou wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:I've always disliked the vocals on Cyclone, did you not dislike them to start with?
I was surprised to find out that Steve Jolliffe wasn't German, some of his phrasings on Cyclone sounds like Klaus Meine from the gawd-awful Scorpions!

However I rate it masterpiece, I like and admire Jolliffe to bring in some eccentrity into the band. It didn't always work during the tour, but he was a good addition to Froese and Franke. I also like his solo albums, as he's a good musician.

I thought he was german, where is he from?
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

England. He also played verr briefly in Supertramp and recorded one LP with Steamhammer.
In 1967/68 he was a member of TD. On Jolliffe's album Poland :!: there's a short recording from that era.
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:England. He also played verr briefly in Supertramp and recorded one LP with Steamhammer.
In 1967/68 he was a member of TD. On Jolliffe's album Poland :!: there's a short recording from that era.
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... clone.html
24db

Post by 24db »

nice to see TD's black sheep have some fans as well ;)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:nice to see TD's black sheep have some fans as well ;)
Lovely guy and a great musician t/boot :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:nice to see TD's black sheep have some fans as well ;)
Lovely guy and a great musician t/boot :arrow:
lol...er yes mate :D :D

Nice review of MFD which I've just found:

Madcap’s Flaming Duty
by richard spann
Tangerine Dream is on a roll. The new disc is entitled Madcap’s Flaming Duty, a tribute to Syd Barrett, who passed away last year (for those who don’t know, Syd Barrett was a founding member of Pink Floyd). This third release since 2005 follows Jeanne D’Arc and Paradiso, the dual disc completion of TD’s three-part interpretation of Dante’s Inferno.

Continuing the trek through western Europe, Madcap’s Flaming Duty is not a typical Tangerine Dream treatment. Unlike the trademark TD sound of Jeanne D’Arc or the operatic Paradiso, Madcap’s Flaming Duty includes vocals on every song. On all but one song the lyrics are adaptations of the poetry of such writers as Blake, Shelley, Emerson and Whitman.

The soaring vocals were performed by guest Chris Hausl (Foreshadowing). All composing was handled by TD leader Edgar Froese and Thorsten Quaeschning. You TD purists reading this may be cringing from the news of another release featuring vocals. I think you will find Madcap’s Flaming Duty more than acceptable. This disc is not at all like Canyon or Tyger. Chris Hausl’s voice fits well with Tangerine Dream’s musical arrangements.

Jerome Froese has been absent from the credited TD lineup since Purgatorio. Based on information at Jerome’s website, it appears he has embarked upon a full time solo career.

Since it is known that Tangerine Dream is a very busy band, publishing not only studio work but sound tracks and even private commissions, one would expect a proportional slate of live concert dates. Unfortunately, TD does not tour that much any more, rarely even traveling to North America.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Desert_Voyager wrote:I still have a very hard time listening to the vocals on Tyger, but there are some blindingly good instrumental sections which I LOVE. I think that the songs on Tyger would be sooooooooooo much better with Iris singing

I'm with you on this one Jason. Jocelyn Bernadette Smith's vocals are IMO competent but her voice doesn't fit with TD. Iris or someone with a more smooth and less harsh voice would've made Tyger a better album.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Maybe she should sing one in the next TD live show as an encore or something
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache