Stratosfear

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Stratosfear

Post by 24db »

corrected
Last edited by 24db on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rico

Post by Rico »

A quiet impression for an album that isn't that light and unbruised by sincerest depth, after all.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

What were some of these guys on :roll: i bet half of the critics would listen to an album once and once only before giving their verdict.....TD were always a band that required serious listening time to appreciate the sheer class of the music within..........Some of the grizzlies just would not give them a chance :x
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:What were some of these guys on :roll: i bet half of the critics would listen to an album once and once only before giving their verdict.....TD were always a band that required serious listening time to appreciate the sheer class of the music within..........Some of the grizzlies just would not give them a chance :x
even more mystifying as he wrote this review a few years earlier:

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... ed-in.html
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Invisible Limits a waste of space? Sums up nicely why I don't place much faith in reviews. I do wish critics would stick to describing the music rather than their opinions of what they think it sounds like.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:Invisible Limits a waste of space? Sums up nicely why I don't place much faith in reviews. I do wish critics would stick to describing the music rather than their opinions of what they think it sounds like.
Hey, compared with some reviews it's enthusiastic ;)

Wait until I post some of the others
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

What a load of F***ing bollocks! What the f*** is Popstar Weekly anyway?
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Red Morpho

Post by Red Morpho »

Not quite sure why the (ahem...) journalist 'reviewed' Stratosfear 3 years after it was released. Not quite sure that he was listening to the same album I know and love as Stratofear...oh silly me..not quite sure why I'm bothering making the presumption that he actually listened to it.....
You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink...but if you get it to float's on it's back then you've got something...
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:What a load of F***ing bollocks! What the f*** is Popstar Weekly anyway?
hey this is a good review, you wanna see the bad ones ;)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Hobo wrote:What a load of F***ing bollocks! What the f*** is Popstar Weekly anyway?
A weekly magazine about popstars :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
A weekly magazine about popstars :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Might be the follow up to National Rockstar?, as the same muso wrote for both
24db

Post by 24db »

Red Morpho wrote:Not quite sure why the (ahem...) journalist 'reviewed' Stratosfear 3 years after it was released. Not quite sure that he was listening to the same album I know and love as Stratofear...oh silly me..not quite sure why I'm bothering making the presumption that he actually listened to it.....
I'm only going by what the person who sold me the cutting wrote on the back, there's no other way to check the details. But....so far their dates have been spot on
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

Clichés? That reviewer is full of them. Title track is repetitive? Duh. Most TD tracks are somewhat repetitive--repetition is their MO. What was that Michael Hoenig quote, "Repetition is the image of eternity in music," or something like that. The problem with most critics is that they come at it with expectations. Nothing can destroy one's appreciation for something like expectation.

My only criticism of Stratosfear is that it's too short, even for a vinyl LP (side one barely exceeds 15 min). I know they had a host of problems making it, but surely they could have come up with another 5-8 minutes of material. They could have put on a little bit of live tape from the 1975 tour and no one would have been the wiser.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:Clichés? That reviewer is full of them. Title track is repetitive? Duh. Most TD tracks are somewhat repetitive--repetition is their MO. What was that Michael Hoenig quote, "Repetition is the image of eternity in music," or something like that. The problem with most critics is that they come at it with expectations. Nothing can destroy one's appreciation for something like expectation.

My only criticism of Stratosfear is that it's too short, even for a vinyl LP (side one barely exceeds 15 min). I know they had a host of problems making it, but surely they could have come up with another 5-8 minutes of material. They could have put on a little bit of live tape from the 1975 tour and no one would have been the wiser.
All great albums are too short, but would they appear so great, if they were longer? I guess we'll never know!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

epsilon75 wrote:What were some of these guys on :roll: i bet half of the critics would listen to an album once and once only before giving their verdict.....TD were always a band that required serious listening time to appreciate the sheer class of the music within..........Some of the grizzlies just would not give them a chance :x
Just like many bits of audio kit that were reviewed by a certain magazine without opening the packing box... (TRUE!)...

I rather think that if Stratosfear had been stretched a bit and made a bit more "up front", I'd have liked it very much... I just think that as it stands, its a bit "quiet" and, well, lacking somehow - didn't they have all kinds of problems when making it? - I also read that PB and EF were "under strain" as a working couple by then...