Phaedra 2005

Chris Monk
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Chris Monk »

epsilon75 wrote:but its interesting enough for me to give time up to listen to it and i think its a decent enough modern re-working
That's always been my criteria for a good album, if I listen to it over a period of time, and enjoy it, then it's a success. Nothing worse than an album you buy but can't bare to listen to. By that measure Phaedra 2005 has been very successful for me.
har

Post by har »

DSJR wrote:Have you lot gone mad or summat? IT'S AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - well at least the title track is...

Sorry for the above abuse, but Phaedra '74 was my first true musical epiphany and I treasure the memories of my first listen just after it came out.

After reading some very negative reviews of this CD I bought a copy a couple of years ago out of curiosity.

I appreciate this is a remix of an old re-working from 1988 I understand, but it has none of the feeling of the original, the sequence isn't quite right (compared with CF's eventual tunings) and the whole "lay it on with a trowel" approach just doesn't stay true to the vibe of the original. The remix on TD plays TD is a bit more subtle but still.....

I don't mind the additional bits on 'Movements Of A Visionary' but Sequent c has been annihilated, Delphi just whittles by and 'Mysterious Semblance' isn't so different from the original as I remember, the one track Edgar did on his own with Monique's help late one night I understand....

Sorry all, I rate Edgar as one of the greatest "EM" musicians of his era, such are his "visionary" talents for blending hours of work together to make a truly cohesive whole and for some lovely solo work over the years, but this? - NO CHANCE!
Cheers for your opinion there. I think its an excellent reworking of what for me is probably the greatest TD album in the world.

I thoroughly enjoy listening to Phaedra 2005. Thats the way it is.

PS only slightly mad :wink:
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

I’ll never goanna bought it. :D

:!: :arrow:
exit81

Post by exit81 »

I'm listening to it at the moment. To me, it's basically what we heard at SBE 2005 with Visionary, Sequent and Delfi added. I'm really surprised they didn't play the whole of this CD (apart from Delphi) at the gig, because that's how the gig was advertised, and they had clearly been working on re-recording all of the album at the time.

I agree with most of the views here...it's different enough to remain interesting, while never attempting to be as ground-breaking as the original (it never could be of course). And at 38 minutes, doesn't this qualify as a cupdisc??? :D
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I listened to it for the first time this morning on the bus on the way into town. Now I can hadly be called a brown noser, if I don`t like something I am not afraid to say it here. But to be honest I LOVED it. Phaedra has always been my favorite of the early TD albums so I have always been reluctant to listen to this 2005 version, BUT I can`t really fault it, I like everything about this album and it will certainly be one I listen to more often than not.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

cantosis wrote:I listened to it for the first time this morning on the bus on the way into town. Now I can hadly be called a brown noser, if I don`t like something I am not afraid to say it here. But to be honest I LOVED it. Phaedra has always been my favorite of the early TD albums so I have always been reluctant to listen to this 2005 version, BUT I can`t really fault it, I like everything about this album and it will certainly be one I listen to more often than not.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with all of you then :)

I didn't mind the title track on first hearing, but it just began to irritate more and more and now I never play it, although I have this in the car. I really find it offensive......... Only "Movements...05" gets played - but I usually jump to the original part way in to the track.

Just the view of a sad old git who was there (and blown away) first time round.....
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

I've yet to hear this album and have been slightly reluctant to do so, given the genius of the original (the album that first lured me into the TD world, back in '74) and the generally negative views the 2005 version received on it's release.
I'll eventually get around to it and I'm intrigued by which camp I'll fall into.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

DSJR wrote:
cantosis wrote:I listened to it for the first time this morning on the bus on the way into town. Now I can hadly be called a brown noser, if I don`t like something I am not afraid to say it here. But to be honest I LOVED it. Phaedra has always been my favorite of the early TD albums so I have always been reluctant to listen to this 2005 version, BUT I can`t really fault it, I like everything about this album and it will certainly be one I listen to more often than not.

I didn't mind the title track on first hearing, but it just began to irritate more and more and now I never play it, although I have this in the car. I really find it offensive......... Only "Movements...05" gets played - but I usually jump to the original part way in to the track.

Just the view of a sad old git who was there (and blown away) first time round.....
I think the 05 version is the greatest possible insult to the original. Truly a vile creation. A catastrophe of unrivaled proportions.

Just my opinion.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

rattymouse wrote:
DSJR wrote:

I think the 05 version is the greatest possible insult to the original. Truly a vile creation. A catastrophe of unrivaled proportions.

Just my opinion.

Ouch 8)