Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject: Ambient Highway Vol 1
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 am
Posts: 636
Location: Chicago
I dont know if anyone can answer these questions but I figured I'd ask.

All these questions came from my recent listening to Ambient Highway Vol 1.

1. As far as I can see, there is only one reworked track on this CD and that is track 2, Walkabout Abora. Is this track directly from the reworked version of Pinnacles or did EF rerecord this track a 3rd time?

2. The rest of the tracks are new compositions? Or are they leftovers from years gone by? The track Santa Elena Marisol really smells of early '90s TD.

Anyone know of any good review sites for the Ambient Highway Series? I only know of SMD's reviews.

_________________
http://tangerinedream.myfreeforum.org/index.php


http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubycon/collections/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:35 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Köln, Germany
"Walkabout Abora" is the only track from Edgar's 70's / 80's solo albums included here. It's the same version as on "Beyond The Storm" or "Pinnacles 2005".
"Santa Elena Merisal", "Carneol", "Bobcats In The Sun", "Magic Lantern", "Tierra Del Fuego" and "Dome Of Yellow Turtles" are all tracks originally released on "Beyond The Storm". There are some minor changes to some of these tracks, by the way.
"Afternoon On The Nile" and "Crane Routing" are compositions that could be found on the "Tangents" box set by TD.
The two remaining tracks "Sahara Child" and "Car Dreaming" were new compositions.

No one knows when all these compositions were composed or produced. I guess only Edgar could tell ... :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 am
Posts: 636
Location: Chicago
MrCox wrote:
"Walkabout Abora" is the only track from Edgar's 70's / 80's solo albums included here. It's the same version as on "Beyond The Storm" or "Pinnacles 2005".
"Santa Elena Merisal", "Carneol", "Bobcats In The Sun", "Magic Lantern", "Tierra Del Fuego" and "Dome Of Yellow Turtles" are all tracks originally released on "Beyond The Storm". There are some minor changes to some of these tracks, by the way.
"Afternoon On The Nile" and "Crane Routing" are compositions that could be found on the "Tangents" box set by TD.
The two remaining tracks "Sahara Child" and "Car Dreaming" were new compositions.

No one knows when all these compositions were composed or produced. I guess only Edgar could tell ... :wink:


Thanks MrCox.

So, Beyond the Storm was released before the Ambient Highway Series? I thought Beyond the Storm was a compilation of already released tunes. So you are saying that some of these tunes were new on Beyond the Storm and were re-released on the Ambient Highway series.

I think I understand now. It's just confusing to me since it appears that no one considers the Ambient Highway series to be true EF solo albums. Nor Beyond the Storm and that one had original tunes on it.

Very confusing.

_________________
http://tangerinedream.myfreeforum.org/index.php


http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubycon/collections/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:05 pm
Posts: 11363
Location: Glasgow
rattymouse wrote:
MrCox wrote:
"Walkabout Abora" is the only track from Edgar's 70's / 80's solo albums included here. It's the same version as on "Beyond The Storm" or "Pinnacles 2005".
"Santa Elena Merisal", "Carneol", "Bobcats In The Sun", "Magic Lantern", "Tierra Del Fuego" and "Dome Of Yellow Turtles" are all tracks originally released on "Beyond The Storm". There are some minor changes to some of these tracks, by the way.
"Afternoon On The Nile" and "Crane Routing" are compositions that could be found on the "Tangents" box set by TD.
The two remaining tracks "Sahara Child" and "Car Dreaming" were new compositions.

No one knows when all these compositions were composed or produced. I guess only Edgar could tell ... :wink:


Thanks MrCox.

So, Beyond the Storm was released before the Ambient Highway Series? I thought Beyond the Storm was a compilation of already released tunes. So you are saying that some of these tunes were new on Beyond the Storm and were re-released on the Ambient Highway series.

I think I understand now. It's just confusing to me since it appears that no one considers the Ambient Highway series to be true EF solo albums. Nor Beyond the Storm and that one had original tunes on it.

Very confusing.


If these releases aren't Edgar solo albums, what are they classed as ?

Ive always found the ambient highways series to be pretty hard going, untill I revisited them and played them end to end recently.
I think Beyond the Storm is a better compilation, but Orange Light Years is the best IMO.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:58 pm
Posts: 7275
I love these albums, top quality


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:35 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Köln, Germany
"Beyond The Storm" was released in 1995. The "Ambient Highway" series was released in 2003.
I think the four AH CDs are much better albums than the BTS double CD. Somehow Edgar managed to create track lists that are really enjoyable. Furthermore some BTS tracks were reworked, just a little but to great effect. I rarely listen to BTS but enjoy the AH CDs a lot. The best one IMHO is Vol. 2 with some great classics and a lot of energetic music. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 am
Posts: 636
Location: Chicago
corrected due to double post.

_________________
http://tangerinedream.myfreeforum.org/index.php


http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubycon/collections/


Last edited by rattymouse on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 am
Posts: 636
Location: Chicago
timer wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
MrCox wrote:
"Walkabout Abora" is the only track from Edgar's 70's / 80's solo albums included here. It's the same version as on "Beyond The Storm" or "Pinnacles 2005".
"Santa Elena Merisal", "Carneol", "Bobcats In The Sun", "Magic Lantern", "Tierra Del Fuego" and "Dome Of Yellow Turtles" are all tracks originally released on "Beyond The Storm". There are some minor changes to some of these tracks, by the way.
"Afternoon On The Nile" and "Crane Routing" are compositions that could be found on the "Tangents" box set by TD.
The two remaining tracks "Sahara Child" and "Car Dreaming" were new compositions.

No one knows when all these compositions were composed or produced. I guess only Edgar could tell ... :wink:




Thanks MrCox.

So, Beyond the Storm was released before the Ambient Highway Series? I thought Beyond the Storm was a compilation of already released tunes. So you are saying that some of these tunes were new on Beyond the Storm and were re-released on the Ambient Highway series.

I think I understand now. It's just confusing to me since it appears that no one considers the Ambient Highway series to be true EF solo albums. Nor Beyond the Storm and that one had original tunes on it.

Very confusing.


If these releases aren't Edgar solo albums, what are they classed as ?

Ive always found the ambient highways series to be pretty hard going, untill I revisited them and played them end to end recently.
I think Beyond the Storm is a better compilation, but Orange Light Years is the best IMO.


I dont know.

All the reviews i read of Dalinetopia stated that this CD was Edar's first solo album in 21 years. So everyone just tossed aside, Beyond the Storm, Ambient Highways, and Orange Light Years (whatever that is).

_________________
http://tangerinedream.myfreeforum.org/index.php


http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubycon/collections/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:23 am
Posts: 273
Location: Planet Earth
They're "compilations with bonus tracks".

For the record, ALL the original tracks (as well as what IMO are the more tasteful remixes) from Beyond the Storm are included on the AH series in some form. Likewise all of Edgar's solo tracks from CD5 of Tangents (but not the collaborations).

I also just charted out how much overlap there is between AH and OLY. Turns out that it's a few from vol 1, six from vol 2, and only three previously-released (as in "before Beyond the Storm") from the remaining two.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:45 pm
Posts: 177
I always think that edgars music sounds somehow different to his music as Tangerine Dream but I find it hard to say why !

I think his commercial tracks are more commercial than TD's

His less commercial tracks seem more less commercial

It also sounds more German and maybe a bit more classical and not a rocky or progressive

I dont know if any of this makes any sense ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
MrCox wrote:
"Beyond The Storm" was released in 1995. The "Ambient Highway" series was released in 2003.
I think the four AH CDs are much better albums than the BTS double CD. Somehow Edgar managed to create track lists that are really enjoyable. Furthermore some BTS tracks were reworked, just a little but to great effect. I rarely listen to BTS but enjoy the AH CDs a lot. The best one IMHO is Vol. 2 with some great classics and a lot of energetic music. :D

Very true. The AH releases sound much better to my tired old ears than BTS.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 am
Posts: 636
Location: Chicago
Chris Monk wrote:
MrCox wrote:
"Beyond The Storm" was released in 1995. The "Ambient Highway" series was released in 2003.
I think the four AH CDs are much better albums than the BTS double CD. Somehow Edgar managed to create track lists that are really enjoyable. Furthermore some BTS tracks were reworked, just a little but to great effect. I rarely listen to BTS but enjoy the AH CDs a lot. The best one IMHO is Vol. 2 with some great classics and a lot of energetic music. :D

Very true. The AH releases sound much better to my tired old ears than BTS.


I have made it up to Ambient Highway Vol 3 this week. So far Vol 2 is the best by far.

_________________
http://tangerinedream.myfreeforum.org/index.php


http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubycon/collections/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage