Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

* FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:09 pm 

Desert_Voyager wrote:
We 'all' love Phaedra, but even there, there are two tracks which don't tickle my fancy, they are Movements of a Visionary and Sequent C'.

Same here. I like Phaedra mainly for it's title track and Edgar's wonderful "Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares". :D
And as for Green Desert, I think it is a great album, but, once again, mainly for it's title track. Side two isn't bad, though. :wink:
Played through it once this morning, and twice in a row just a few hours ago. It is a... special album, I think. No other TD record sounds quite like it (for obvious reasons). I've got only one copy of it, the old Jive Electro CD release with the green cover. I need to get my paws on the remaster...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:26 am 

Mephistopheles wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
We 'all' love Phaedra, but even there, there are two tracks which don't tickle my fancy, they are Movements of a Visionary and Sequent C'.

Same here. I like Phaedra mainly for it's title track and Edgar's wonderful "Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares". :D
And as for Green Desert, I think it is a great album, but, once again, mainly for it's title track. Side two isn't bad, though. :wink:
Played through it once this morning, and twice in a row just a few hours ago. It is a... special album, I think. No other TD record sounds quite like it (for obvious reasons). I've got only one copy of it, the old Jive Electro CD release with the green cover. I need to get my paws on the remaster...

If the remaster is anything like as good as Atem and the other Jive re-makes, it should be pretty good.

I'll leave it at this comment - when I've played GD I've just said "OK, what's next?" and reached for Phaedra (or similar), which, after what must be hundreds of playings by now, still sends that shiver down my spine (as for sequent c, it's a masterpiece ending to this album)... Heck, I even like Electronic Meditation for Gawd's sake- I HATED this one with a passion for years and only played it again a few days ago :shock: :o :idea: :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:25 am 

Mephistopheles wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:

Yes indeed Mephistopheles, Green Desert and Indian Summer in particualar are good for a meditational style of listening. It's a very special album and I would like to get the LP with the desert scene on the cover but it's very rare, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:00 am 

Desert_Voyager wrote:
There is only one track on Green Desert that I have never cared for which is Astral Voyager because it is too repetative. However, some people like it. Bar that track, I must repeat that the album is amazing, IMHO. .

Funnily enough IMHO Astral Voyager is the best on the album a classic bit of EM if I may say so, this an Indian Summer get regular airings on the MP3/Minidisc, White Clouds good but not brilliant, Green Desert has its moments, particularly the last 5 minutes but has an unfinished feel to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:03 am 

Red Morpho wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
There is only one track on Green Desert that I have never cared for which is Astral Voyager because it is too repetative. However, some people like it. Bar that track, I must repeat that the album is amazing, IMHO. .

Funnily enough IMHO Astral Voyager is the best on the album a classic bit of EM if I may say so, this an Indian Summer get regular airings on the MP3/Minidisc, White Clouds good but not brilliant, Green Desert has its moments, particularly the last 5 minutes but has an unfinished feel to it.

What do you think makes Astral Voyager classic Electronic Music?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:19 pm 

everything about this CD just encapsulates the spirit of vintage TD, the phased strings, the sine wave flute solo instrument, the edgy drones .... it just grabs you and transports you to another dimension 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:53 pm 

JD wrote:
everything about this CD just encapsulates the spirit of vintage TD, the phased strings, the sine wave flute solo instrument, the edgy drones .... it just grabs you and transports you to another dimension 8)

I agree, every track is classic Electronic Music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:45 am 

Desert_Voyager wrote:
Red Morpho wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:

What do you think makes Astral Voyager classic Electronic Music?

It 's my opinion and not one I'll waver from, suits my personal taste and deserves the tag 'classic' in my book, love that pulsating rhythym and eveything else about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:01 am 
I once played Green Desert for my friend, who's a drummer. I don't believe he's heard it since, but subconsciously, it has cropped up in his band's - They call themselves Your*Best*Friend - track called Northern Overture.

http://www.y-b-f.com/downloads/Northern.mp3

http://www.y-b-f.com/downloads.php 8)

Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ] 

Jump to: