Green Desert

Pertou
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Pertou »

It's on my top 10 list :D
Absolutely stunning. Chris' energy on the drums is breathtaking.
I like the feel of 73 and 84 at the same time. That's what makes this album so unique.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

It's true this rarely gets discussed, and sadly rarely played by me...

I can't think why, because I agree it's a superb album in its own right, with the best example of why Chris joined TD in the first place that I can think of.

I also find it superbly laid back and relaxing, even more so than Zeit.

(runs and ducks from Seagull droppings.... :wink: )
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Pertou wrote:It's on my top 10 list :D
Absolutely stunning. Chris' energy on the drums is breathtaking.
I like the feel of 73 and 84 at the same time. That's what makes this album so unique.

Superb album...................glad you agree its a stunner :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

An absolute must for any TD fan's record shelf IMHO. Some great stuff here, especially the title track. Wonderfully atmospheric and moody. Simply terrific. I haven't played it in some time now. I'm going to have to rectify that little oversight soon.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

The title track is just fantastic----------------have a listen on the headphones in the dark :wink:
Chris Monk

Re: Green Desert

Post by Chris Monk »

Hobo wrote:Why do you think it's not talked about more Chris? It's right up there with the best of them IMO.
I suspect that it doesn't get mentioned much because when you do the conversation usually goes off into a heated discusion about where and when it was recorded. So to avoid that sort of conflict you tend not to mention it.
Last edited by Chris Monk on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timer

Post by timer »

I read (years ago!) that GD was recorded at the same time as Phaera, and it's purpose was the choice to give Virgin in the original contract.
It is a truly magnificent work of art, that could have chnged to direction of music, or the follwing LPs of this period had it been chosen.
At the time of it's release I wasn't a great fan of Phaedra, and for a long time after listening to it thought it would have been the better choice, but then would it have posibly been No Rubycon follow (excepting Ricochet as its live) up! TD without Rubycon ! = TD without Edgar and keyboards!.
Title track for Green Desert is awesome ,and i have to agree that chris Frankes drumming is top notch.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I haven't listened to this one in a long while. I'll dig it out tommorow. Thanks for the wake up Mick.. :D
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

sparrow wrote:I haven't listened to this one in a long while. I'll dig it out tommorow. Thanks for the wake up Mick.. :D
Pleasure John. I'm glad that one or two fans are going to rekindle their interest in this album. It is simply stunning!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Hobo wrote:
sparrow wrote:I haven't listened to this one in a long while. I'll dig it out tommorow. Thanks for the wake up Mick.. :D
Pleasure John. I'm glad that one or two fans are going to rekindle their interest in this album. It is simply stunning!
I listened to the whole album earlier..I still love the title track..very Floyd like and the sublime sequencing on Astral Voyager simple but effective.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

BM played this LP this morning at 4am (Im a nite OweL)....it fitted the murky dawn perfectly.

GAwd I have forgotten how good the music is...I admit to have not listened to this record properly for AGES*

BigM

*another underated EF el pee.
...The wise.....are silent.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

timer wrote:I read (years ago!) that GD was recorded at the same time as Phaera, and it's purpose was the choice to give Virgin in the original contract.
Wasn't it recorded just before Phaedra and was shelved when Peter Baumann came back into the band os something like that?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Chris Monk wrote:
timer wrote:I read (years ago!) that GD was recorded at the same time as Phaera, and it's purpose was the choice to give Virgin in the original contract.
Wasn't it recorded just before Phaedra and was shelved when Peter Baumann came back into the band os something like that?

Spot on Chris..................i believe it was shelved as they were going to record Phaedra at Manor Studios 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:

Spot on Chris..................i believe it was shelved as they were going to record Phaedra at Manor Studios 8)
Yep, Green deseert got them the contract with Virgin (that and Virgin were selling loads of their OHR albums on import thanks to JP), but Peter has away again (he left TD anything up to 5 times, but reports differ). The advance from Virgin then allowed them to buy the 800,000 DM Moog modular that used to belong to the Rolling Stones (they also snapped up another synth from the Moody Blues). Obviously using that bit of kit was a major leap 'sonically' over Chris' and Edgar's effort and Peter had returned, therefore GD got shelved and 'mostly' forgotten for a decade.

that's the version I heard, but as always with TD, the truth might be completely different ;)
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Well, I've tried again with this recording (on LP this time) and i still don't get it. The sequenced track on side 2 is almost an EF solo effort and the whole thing is just bland to me....

I also found my copy of Electronic Meditation, which I didmissed as a "bloody racket" twenty plus years ago. I actually enjoyed it today and, whilst acknowledging the overall crudeness of it, I'd say it's vital to the understanding of where they went in later years.