how would you describe...?

NAVEL OF LIGHT
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

how would you describe...?

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

heres an interesting topic of discussion. One of my work collegues asked me to describe TDs sound. I always try to avoid the 'normal shelf edge labels, electronic rock, new age, jarre but less poppy, so i did my best and offered her a couple of my fave bands latest output.

So how would YOU describe TD to someone who hasnt heard them before.

I know this is really tricky cos you could never compare albums like ZEIT to LE PARC to ROCKOON to THE DIVINE COMEDY SERIES and so on. (just goes to show how TD have given so much in their musical life, and i purposely missed out their biggest sellers like PHAEDRA and STRATOSFEAR etc).
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I've been asked the question a lot ... I usually answer with you'd have to hear them or a wee bit like Jarre ..they are a difficult band to describe in words. I also struggle picking something for someone who hasn't heard any TD. I let a mate hear Rubycon and he just said it was wierd. However he loved Inferno :shock:
24db

Post by 24db »

'music'!....how people want to classify it is their problem ;)
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

i only use a comparison to Jarre if i really have to cos the people im explaining TD to may well of heard of jarre but i try to avoid it because apart from been 'electronic instrument' users , think thats where the simularity ends.
I think Edgar himself explained on the 'Phaedra~shep.bush' dvd that TD just trigger our minds and the journey (or visualization) is up to the listener. I mean, without the lyrics, the music of TD conjures up all kinds of imagary. We sometimes use the title as a clue as to where we are going but we all see something different. Which is fascinating.

The thing i found with the 'uninitiated'is that theyre are looking for catchy 'songs', (its hard work trying to get a much younger x factor disciple to listen to TD).

Would i be sounding snobby if i said you have to be of a certain 'mind set' to listen & enjoy Tangerine Dream?
har

Post by har »

Its difficult to find words to describe the Tangerine Dream music.

Its impossible.

Nothing in the world remotely like it.

I find it difficult also to choose something for folk to hear, I mean where do you start :shock: Have to say all the recent releases have raised interest in this house. Several queries from the rock dude teenagers "Who's that dad, thats good " :shock:

And I think you could be right about the mind set thing NOL :wink:
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

simply magic :)
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)
redziller

Post by redziller »

It's a tough one. I resort to playing my phone ringtone - SWSIS at the moment. TD should have its own genre on iTunes
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
har

Post by har »

Having pondered on this, I have decided that perhaps the direct approach is best.

Having been inspired by just listening to "sound of a shell" there,

I think I would just say;

" Tangerine Dream's music is bloody brilliant"

or perhaps

" Tangerine Dream are absolutely bloody marvellous"

Think that about sums it up effectively and succinctly. I am away out now to try it out on some random people :D
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Cliched, repetitive, elevator soundtrack wallpaper muzak for nerds?

Seriously...there ARE no words, that's what makes it so great. You can't describe it, translate it, decode it, catagorise it or articulate it. You just either feel it or you don't. Thankfully we all do.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Gave up trying to describe TD's music a long time a go. If someone expresses an interest I usually lend them some and let them make up their own mind.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

simplicity maybe EXIT 81, i think it was Edgar again who said he wanted to create with music what Dali created on canvas. Im a massive fan of Dali and we know EF was very influenced by him after spending time with Salvador Dali in the early days. Even now, 'Persistance Of Memory' is a TD title shared with one of Dali's greatest art pieces.
But you really cant explain that to someone who has Take That sitting comfortably next to an 'x-factor/britains got talent/pop star' winner on their ipod. :-)
HYPERBOREA

Post by HYPERBOREA »

Trying to describe the sound of Tangerine Dream is like trying to explain sight to a blind person - impossible !

Ive just asked my wife how she would describe it and she said electronic music that wont be most peoples cup of tea !
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

How to describe TD's music?

tough, but easy - it is globular and timeless, in a way only pure creative original music can be, pure, as in, it has a reason to exist. Globular as in spherical, totally of itself, to describe TD music to someone I would say this: Possibly, Tangmusic is soul music....Its music for listening to. Carefully and with an open mind, then you get what you require.

BM reminds himself, that to really appreciate classic TD music, one must be prepared.

:arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

If anyone expresses any interest then I send them edited soundclips or a comp. Before anybody gets on the bandwagon about music rights and piracy, I got into, and spent a lot of money on, a few bands based upon cassette comps back in the 80s. TD being one such band.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

wayfarer wrote:If anyone expresses any interest then I send them edited soundclips or a comp. Before anybody gets on the bandwagon about music rights and piracy, I got into, and spent a lot of money on, a few bands based upon cassette comps back in the 80s. TD being one such band.
I've done that a few times in the past and it's always resulted in TD selling a few more albums.