how would you describe...?

alipaul
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by alipaul »

exit81 wrote:Cliched, repetitive, elevator soundtrack wallpaper muzak for nerds?

Seriously...there ARE no words, that's what makes it so great. You can't describe it, translate it, decode it, catagorise it or articulate it. You just either feel it or you don't. Thankfully we all do.
One unkind colleague at work classed Td music as music for a cheap supermarket.

I describe it as Aural Sculpture
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
timer

Post by timer »

A vintage Classic band , like no other. A unique listening experience every time .
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Impossible to categorize IMHO......but i would describe it as GENIUS.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

epsilon75 wrote:Impossible to categorize IMHO......but i would describe it as GENIUS.

hush. Colin........I hear something....a rumbling......a grizzlin.....no...nuffink to worry about, its just a belly ache at tadream yahooooooooooooooooo :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
EricDraven

Post by EricDraven »

What ever you do, don't describe it as electronic music because, when I used to describe it as such the usual reply would be, "oh, you mean TECHNO" which would then lead to trying to define what electronic music is to some complete clueless goit :roll: .
Electronic music for sale at
http://www.synthnation.weebly.com
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

Agreed. You're being asked to describe the indescribable.

However, because TD has scored a number of popular movies, perhaps you could direct your friend to one of those films (Legend, Thief, Firestarter, Risky Business), telling him/her to pay close attention to the background music. That's not a definitive answer, I know, but at least it gives the person a basis on which to understand TD's music.

Otherwise, I tell people that their music is electronic, usually with a driving rhythm, creating "sonic landscapes." Their music can be introspective, contemplative, pastoral, eerie and mysterious.

But then you're right back at the beginning -- describing the indescribable.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
Nero

Post by Nero »

I always answer that TD is the soundtrack to my life. If people are interested in my life they of course want to hear my music and I borrow them some of my favourite CDs and - what a surprise! - most of them were hooked!
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I always struggle when asked. Sometimes, someone 'in the know' kindly steps in and likens them to 'Pink Floyd' or 'Jean Michel Jarre'... I usually baulk at the latter, but am inclined to agree about the former for the early '70s years.

My final answer is usually something like 'it depends what era you're asking about!'... then I'll rattle of a list of TD film scores as there's usually one that someone's heard of.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

I only pick one for lately album that all. :wink:

:!: :arrow:
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

One thing I've noticed is that you can't make people like TD ... they either get the music or they don't. If they don't, forget it...
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Michael66 wrote:One thing I've noticed is that you can't make people like TD ... they either get the music or they don't. If they don't, forget it...

Thats true, I have tried damn hard to get my other half to like them without much success.

Still I am not bothered, she likes Micheal Buble and Queen amongst other tripe.
timer

Post by timer »

cantosis wrote:
Michael66 wrote:One thing I've noticed is that you can't make people like TD ... they either get the music or they don't. If they don't, forget it...

Thats true, I have tried damn hard to get my other half to like them without much success.

Nothing wrong with Queen - as they were !
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

timer wrote:
cantosis wrote:

Nothing wrong with Queen - as they were !
I meant current queen with that numpty on vocals :D
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Queen were a superb outfit IMHO,a band who could master the craft of many different styles of music with ease,a fantastic group 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

cantosis wrote:

I'm still trying to get my wife to admit she likes TD. Been trying for a couple of decades now and things are only just beginning to improve.