Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:58 pm
Posts: 7275
sparrow wrote:
Well as soon as I got back and saw that these two were available I sighed heavily first then a couple of clicks of the mouse and bought them. I am a kinda completist but IMO theres far too many releases in such a short space of time. I'm lucky at the moment that I can afford them but next year or thereafter things may change financially in the Sparrow household.




I know what you mean mate, it is great for people who want a constant flowing river of new CDs but I have always prefered quality over quantity. Not that I can say the music has been poor quality because overall most of the music coming out of TD towers has been a high standard.

But for me, I just like to suffer a bit for my music, there is nothing like waiting for a new album to come out from your fave band, in the waiting time you get little snippets of news about it, letting the excitment build before getting hit.

With modern TD you barely get over one new CD than news of another coming hits you hard.

Not that I want to sound like a moaner as most fans are enjoying this I would think and as it has been said countless times, if you don`t want it don`t buy it.

But even so, for me personally I like things sparringly. thats why I am not going to moan too much about the lack of new music from Jerome, I would like to hear new stuff from him but then again its only just under a year since Shiver Me Timbers, when word gets out he is working on a new album than the excitement will build.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 am
Posts: 636
Location: Chicago
Michael66 wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Any ideas why these editions are limited?? What possible reason is there for this?

Creating an impression of scarcity is one of the golden rules of marketing - stuff sells better and faster then ...


Either TD is selling at most a few thousand CD's at a time or they are screwing over a ton of people who want these recordings for no real good reason for what I can see.

Why not limit ALL recordings to only 1000 copies? Wouldnt that create even better marketing scheme?

Scarcity is suppose to result in higher prices. And these albums sell for the exact same price as the "regular" releases.

Something don't add up here.....

_________________
http://tangerinedream.myfreeforum.org/index.php


http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubycon/collections/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 am
Posts: 636
Location: Chicago
cantosis wrote:
sparrow wrote:
Well as soon as I got back and saw that these two were available I sighed heavily first then a couple of clicks of the mouse and bought them. I am a kinda completist but IMO theres far too many releases in such a short space of time. I'm lucky at the moment that I can afford them but next year or thereafter things may change financially in the Sparrow household.




I know what you mean mate, it is great for people who want a constant flowing river of new CDs but I have always prefered quality over quantity. Not that I can say the music has been poor quality because overall most of the music coming out of TD towers has been a high standard.

But for me, I just like to suffer a bit for my music, there is nothing like waiting for a new album to come out from your fave band, in the waiting time you get little snippets of news about it, letting the excitment build before getting hit.

With modern TD you barely get over one new CD than news of another coming hits you hard.

Not that I want to sound like a moaner as most fans are enjoying this I would think and as it has been said countless times, if you don`t want it don`t buy it.

But even so, for me personally I like things sparringly. thats why I am not going to moan too much about the lack of new music from Jerome, I would like to hear new stuff from him but then again its only just under a year since Shiver Me Timbers, when word gets out he is working on a new album than the excitement will build.


Great post sir. I'll be darned if I can think of any other band that knocks out so much product as TD does. Does anyone even come close?? Count out the number of releases in the past 5 years. It will blow your mind.

_________________
http://tangerinedream.myfreeforum.org/index.php


http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubycon/collections/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:49 am
Posts: 296
cantosis wrote:
sparrow wrote:
Well as soon as I got back and saw that these two were available I sighed heavily first then a couple of clicks of the mouse and bought them. I am a kinda completist but IMO theres far too many releases in such a short space of time. I'm lucky at the moment that I can afford them but next year or thereafter things may change financially in the Sparrow household.




I know what you mean mate, it is great for people who want a constant flowing river of new CDs but I have always prefered quality over quantity. Not that I can say the music has been poor quality because overall most of the music coming out of TD towers has been a high standard.

But for me, I just like to suffer a bit for my music, there is nothing like waiting for a new album to come out from your fave band, in the waiting time you get little snippets of news about it, letting the excitment build before getting hit.

With modern TD you barely get over one new CD than news of another coming hits you hard.

Not that I want to sound like a moaner as most fans are enjoying this I would think and as it has been said countless times, if you don`t want it don`t buy it.

But even so, for me personally I like things sparringly. thats why I am not going to moan too much about the lack of new music from Jerome, I would like to hear new stuff from him but then again its only just under a year since Shiver Me Timbers, when word gets out he is working on a new album than the excitement will build.


God thanks, TD don't release one CD every three years like Jerome...(Maybe we only could stand the situation concerning Jerome's low level of new releases JUST BECAUSE TD release permanently!!! Let's think about it!)
A TD release every three years - this would be a nightmare for me!! I do enjoy their music too much.
Besides it is absurd to dictate an artist when and how much and what to release - let's enjoy TDs/EFs very creative phase! We should be thankful being a fan of such an active band - and - what would WE forum members do without any conversation on new music from our favourite band? It would be bleak....
And another positive side effect: I have the feeling that because of TD, because of their activity, many of the forum members did become friends! This is maybe a good reason for letting the band being creative! 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:28 pm
Posts: 2776
Location: Brixton, London
rattymouse wrote:
Michael66 wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Any ideas why these editions are limited?? What possible reason is there for this?

Creating an impression of scarcity is one of the golden rules of marketing - stuff sells better and faster then ...


Either TD is selling at most a few thousand CD's at a time or they are screwing over a ton of people who want these recordings for no real good reason for what I can see.

Why not limit ALL recordings to only 1000 copies? Wouldnt that create even better marketing scheme?

Scarcity is suppose to result in higher prices. And these albums sell for the exact same price as the "regular" releases.

Something don't add up here.....

My guess is that these will be for sale only through the TD shop and perhaps Groove / C&D Services... - rather than going on general release through Amazon etc.

_________________
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:28 pm
Posts: 2776
Location: Brixton, London
I'm really looking forward to these re-releases. I have been so impressed with the re-recorded snippets I've heard so far - so my order has been firmly placed (besides, my copies of Tangram and Hyperborea are still only on Vinyl!)

FWIW - the highlights from the Tangents box-set for me where the re-recorded versions of bits of Encore and Logos... Of course they will never replace the originals, but I thought they were excellent nonetheless.

_________________
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:01 am
Posts: 2459
Location: Iris & Linda's underwear draw
I must be honest i never like the idea of bands revisiting past music and making so called improvements i don't always think that they are any better than the originals.
If your gonna re-release them re master them and add unreleased music from that period as a bonus

_________________
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
alipaul wrote:
I must be honest i never like the idea of bands revisiting past music and making so called improvements i don't always think that they are any better than the originals.
If your gonna re-release them re master them and add unreleased music from that period as a bonus


Fair point daz...so does this mean you won't be buying them then?

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:01 am
Posts: 2459
Location: Iris & Linda's underwear draw
24db wrote:
alipaul wrote:
I must be honest i never like the idea of bands revisiting past music and making so called improvements i don't always think that they are any better than the originals.
If your gonna re-release them re master them and add unreleased music from that period as a bonus


Fair point daz...so does this mean you won't be buying them then?


Andy not entirely sure, but my wife regards me as a TD Anorak so i'll probably buy them. (actually she uses the 4 letter word Tw** but i can't use it on here).
I did buy Phaedra 2005 but i only really listen to Delphi off this album

_________________
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
alipaul wrote:
24db wrote:
alipaul wrote:
I must be honest i never like the idea of bands revisiting past music and making so called improvements i don't always think that they are any better than the originals.
If your gonna re-release them re master them and add unreleased music from that period as a bonus


Fair point daz...so does this mean you won't be buying them then?


Andy not entirely sure, but my wife regards me as a TD Anorak so i'll probably buy them. (actually she uses the 4 letter word Tw** but i can't use it on here).
I did buy Phaedra 2005 but i only really listen to Delphi off this album


why waste your money mate? It's like me saying JMJ is rubbish and then going to see him live...er...oh right...I can see your point now ;)

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 am
Posts: 636
Location: Chicago
billythefish wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Michael66 wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Any ideas why these editions are limited?? What possible reason is there for this?

Creating an impression of scarcity is one of the golden rules of marketing - stuff sells better and faster then ...


Either TD is selling at most a few thousand CD's at a time or they are screwing over a ton of people who want these recordings for no real good reason for what I can see.

Why not limit ALL recordings to only 1000 copies? Wouldnt that create even better marketing scheme?

Scarcity is suppose to result in higher prices. And these albums sell for the exact same price as the "regular" releases.

Something don't add up here.....

My guess is that these will be for sale only through the TD shop and perhaps Groove / C&D Services... - rather than going on general release through Amazon etc.


That's a shame for us in the US as the shipping costs out of Germany are just insanely expensive. I could buy another CD for what it costs to ship one small disc.

_________________
http://tangerinedream.myfreeforum.org/index.php


http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubycon/collections/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 883
Location: Chelmsford - home of the Chelmsford TDBA
I'm glad that Edgar has hit a creative stride, that seems like it began in earnest after Madcap's. (perhaps inspired by mortality and the time we have left in the world). But, it still hits the wallet in uncertain times! :lol:

Tangram is one of my favourite all time albums from any artist (I say it a lot on here, too :wink: ). It's almost sacred, and I don't play it that often. Why not? To me, it is like a work of art, to be savoured. I know that sounds pretentious, but it's how I feel. I couldn't put it on in the background whilst doing the dishes. I have to immerse myself in it.

I've pre-ordered the 2008 version because I'm open to a variation. The only thing that might concern me is that the newly remixed Sides one and two, don't wuite work.

Hyperborea doesn't command quite as much reverance from me, so I'm interested in seeing what is done with it.

More so, I'm interested in what comes next; a Miracle Mile re-release? A further volume of Dream Mixes?

It' s going to be another interesting year for TD fans, that is the truth.

_________________
http://wayfarer2006.blogspot.com/
http://www.last.fm/user/Browncoat
TDBA - Chelmsford Battalion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:28 pm
Posts: 2776
Location: Brixton, London
rattymouse wrote:
That's a shame for us in the US as the shipping costs out of Germany are just insanely expensive. I could buy another CD for what it costs to ship one small disc.

You may have already seen this, but in case you didn't:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ta ... sage/78950

_________________
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 am
Posts: 636
Location: Chicago
billythefish wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
That's a shame for us in the US as the shipping costs out of Germany are just insanely expensive. I could buy another CD for what it costs to ship one small disc.

You may have already seen this, but in case you didn't:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ta ... sage/78950


Yep, I did see that. But thanks for posting.

_________________
http://tangerinedream.myfreeforum.org/index.php


http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubycon/collections/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:59 am
Posts: 1415
alipaul wrote:
actually she uses the 4 letter word Tw**


What? Twin?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5 [ 63 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage