TANGRAM 2008 & HYPERBOREA 2008

redziller
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by redziller »

Chris Monk wrote:
jacob wrote:I really like the way Cinnammom (sic) Road opens with the same sound as La Vision from Jean d'Arc :)
Ahhh that's where I've heard it before. I knew it was a recent TD track but haven't placed it yet.
Best bit of the whole tracks - sorry - I do go on
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
hansx

Post by hansx »

Got both today. As I already said in another topic I like Tangram. And Hyperborea? Even better, both sounds very fresh and modern. In this way, Edgar can do more of these albums. But not too much, it shouldn't be a supermarket product.
Red Morpho

Post by Red Morpho »

Just bought Tangram 2008 & Hyperborea 2008 from ebay hopefully will be with me within the next week. This is turning out to be a most expensive 6 weeks having recently purchased Views From A Red Train, Purple Diluvial (again ebay), Booster and Electronic Magic (damn fine prices from Amazon). A lot of music and not enough time to absorb it all properly!
You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink...but if you get it to float's on it's back then you've got something...
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Red Morpho wrote:Just bought Tangram 2008 & Hyperborea 2008 from ebay hopefully will be with me within the next week. This is turning out to be a most expensive 6 weeks having recently purchased Views From A Red Train, Purple Diluvial (again ebay), Booster and Electronic Magic (damn fine prices from Amazon). A lot of music and not enough time to absorb it all properly!
Do you use that Fawley guy from the UK.....some of the stuff he sells is cheaper that CDS. Well Hyperborea and Tangram were.
Red Morpho

Post by Red Morpho »

cantosis wrote:
Red Morpho wrote:Just bought Tangram 2008 & Hyperborea 2008 from ebay hopefully will be with me within the next week. This is turning out to be a most expensive 6 weeks having recently purchased Views From A Red Train, Purple Diluvial (again ebay), Booster and Electronic Magic (damn fine prices from Amazon). A lot of music and not enough time to absorb it all properly!
Do you use that Fawley guy from the UK.....some of the stuff he sells is cheaper that CDS. Well Hyperborea and Tangram were.
Thats the one, V-FART (£12.49) & Purple Diluvial (£9.99) came about 2 days after purchasing, once the Paypal payment has cleared (fairly new to Paypal and not sure how fast it works) I'm hoping that Tangram and Hyperborea will be as fast, the guy has an impressive array of stuff at a reasonable price (although some of its pretty expensive, but that could just be me and my limited wallet).

Damn it! you just made me look and One Time's One is on the way.....it beans for a week now...
You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink...but if you get it to float's on it's back then you've got something...
Red Morpho

Post by Red Morpho »

Tangram 2008 & Hyperborea 2008 arrived today, zapping it onto the mp3 player as we speak, then I'm definately going to give it some welly!
Red Morpho

Post by Red Morpho »

If the 2008 version were your first introductions to Tangram and Hyperborea then you could not fail to be impressed, however as much as I try to put any pre-conceptions out of my mind it is not easy approaching the recordings with entirely fresh ears after 25 years of absorbing the originials.

Both re-recordings are enjoyable, Tangram (set 1) is one of my all time favourites, and although there are some excellent moments in the 2008 version (Wu Wei) the addition of percussion and modern beats make it sound a bit rushed for my taste. Tangram (set 2) took a long time for me to appreciate in the 80's, 2008 version surpasses it in my opionion - excellent recording (particularly Point of No Return)

My preferences in the original Hyperborea was side one. With 2008 its the other way around. I don't like the 2008 No Mans Land at all, it lurches in parts where it should rock. I may come round in time (after another 25 years of absorbing?), Hyperborea is in my all time top 10 , the newer versions I & II do not capture the same emotions but nevertherless are solid versions, Cinnamon Road I can give or take (both versions).

The stunning revelation for me is Sphynx Lightning, I always found the original a bit sterile and never liked the middle slow section. The new version is quite simply superb and worth the price of both albums alone. The addition of the guitar solo in the slow section is perfect, played the track 5 or 6 times in the last few days and have never tired of it. It TD at their best and a reworking at its most inspired.

Of the 2 I looked forward to Tangram 2008 the most but overall prefer Hyperborea 2008
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

Hmm ... just noticed something. Remember the postcard TD printed for announcing VFART, MFD & Rockface?

close-up:

Now where have I seen this ... :wink:
redziller

Post by redziller »

Y'know I looked at the Hyperborea 08 artwork and thought, "this doesn't seem right, I'm getting... trains.. maybe with a hint of strawberry. Now I see why - not least with the "express special delivery" label. :wink:
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

redziller wrote:Y'know I looked at the Hyperborea 08 artwork and thought, "this doesn't seem right, I'm getting... trains.. maybe with a hint of strawberry. Now I see why - not least with the "express special delivery" label. :wink:
The Hyperborea 08 cover looks to me like a midday visit at the scrap yard after having had too much mushroom soup ... or something like that. ;)
24db

Post by 24db »

Ugh...nightmare I lost my copy of Tangram 2008 for a week, luckily I've found it again...phew. I'll have to go back and re-listen to it again and see if I still like it as much
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:
redziller wrote:Y'know I looked at the Hyperborea 08 artwork and thought, "this doesn't seem right, I'm getting... trains.. maybe with a hint of strawberry. Now I see why - not least with the "express special delivery" label. :wink:
The Hyperborea 08 cover looks to me like a midday visit at the scrap yard after having had too much mushroom soup ... or something like that. ;)
ah but scrap metal has increased in value recently ;)
hansx

Post by hansx »

After hearing Tangram a few times, I really think that it is better than the old version. Like it a lot.
homeless

Post by homeless »

The original Tangram is a real mellow work of art.

This new version is a much more dynamic beastie.

:)

homeless
24db

Post by 24db »

Tangram 2008(ish)

I was looking out of train window earlier today (going through Edinburgh) and saw this shop:

http://www.tangramfurnishers.co.uk/

it's a sign I tell you! ;)