Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

* FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
 Post subject: TD Tree DVD s
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:22 pm 

A couple of years ago I paid one of the members of the TD Tree to make me copies of some TD footage on DVD. I paid for the price of the blank DVDs and postage (not the
actual footage on them) But only a couple of years down the line most of them show no data and don't play. I emailed the guy about this but he wanted me to pay the same again to get them. I think its a bit unfair seeing as he supplied the DVDs that are obviously sub standard. Surely a DVD should last at least a few years.

One of the films I mostly regret (and can't understand a word as it's in German) is the footage of Baumann. Froese and Franke dressed in old costumes playing their synths and also footage with John Peel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:48 am 

I heard DVD R's only last a couple of years. My sisters wedding DVD is only just two years old and won't play. I still think VHS was a better way of storing & keeping recordings. As long as you don't play them to death they'll last for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:47 am 

That is not good news about DVDs.....wonder what the life span of a CD is? :shock:

Post subject: Re: TD Tree DVD s
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:43 am 

Marbury wrote:
A couple of years ago I paid one of the members of the TD Tree to make me copies of some TD footage on DVD. I paid for the price of the blank DVDs and postage (not the
actual footage on them) But only a couple of years down the line most of them show no data and don't play. I emailed the guy about this but he wanted me to pay the same again to get them. I think its a bit unfair seeing as he supplied the DVDs that are obviously sub standard. Surely a DVD should last at least a few years.

One of the films I mostly regret (and can't understand a word as it's in German) is the footage of Baumann. Froese and Franke dressed in old costumes playing their synths and also footage with John Peel.

I have 5 of these DVD's myself - bought maybe 5 or 6 years ago - and none of them will play anymore :( . Perphaps it's just very poor quality DVDR's used :?: :?:

Post subject: Re: TD Tree DVD s
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:49 pm 

bergen-dreamer wrote:
Marbury wrote:

I have 5 of these DVD's myself - bought maybe 5 or 6 years ago - and none of them will play anymore :( . Perphaps it's just very poor quality DVDR's used :?: :?:

All DVD r's are the same they have a very short lifespan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:20 pm 

Im the same, i have the Rock For Peace concert from Poland and a variety of TD video clips obtained from a TD fan and they all stutter and stall making them unwatchable.
Pity but if you pay cheap, thats what we get. :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:51 pm 

The only solution to this is to make back ups on a PC's HD, or portable HD. They're relatively cheap now. It'd save future heartache from losing precious memories.

One generous TD fan made me a copy of a rarity that is OOP and that has got a CD stutter, sadly.

I've had few CDs with CD rot. Not surprisingly a couple of bootleg soundtracks, but more irritatingly, the original Factory release of New Order's Republic from 1993.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:56 pm 

I bought these DVDs five years ago and they still run. When I´ve read your post I made copies of these DVDs before they don´t run anymore

But another question for these DVDs: when I bought them I was a bit amazed that most of these films have a very very poor quality, some of them like the concert from 1981 at the Berlin Reichstag or the video clips are nearly unwatchable. Also the poland concert from 1983 and the athens concert from 1984 are in a very poor quality. Others like the documentation "Signale aus der Schwäbischen Strasse" are ok.

Does anybody know if there are any copies of the concerts in a better quality? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:11 pm 

phaedra1974 wrote:
I bought these DVDs five years ago and they still run. When I´ve read your post I made copies of these DVDs before they don´t run anymore

But another question for these DVDs: when I bought them I was a bit amazed that most of these films have a very very poor quality, some of them like the concert from 1981 at the Berlin Reichstag or the video clips are nearly unwatchable. Also the poland concert from 1983 and the athens concert from 1984 are in a very poor quality. Others like the documentation "Signale aus der Schwäbischen Strasse" are ok.

Does anybody know if there are any copies of the concerts in a better quality? :?

Who ever holds the masters , has great quality viewing Richard. I have come across an excellent quality version of Poland 1983 but alas only about 30 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:11 pm 

phaedra1974 wrote:

It might be because they are actually bootlegs - recorded on very poor equipment and never intetended for commercial release :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:49 pm 

The poland concert was originally filmed for the polish tv and is only 30 minutes long.

The concert at the Berlin Reichstag 1981 was originally filmed for the german tv, so there must be a master somewhere.

And I think that the athens concert was filmed for the greece tv, because there is an interview at the beginning of the DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:35 pm 

It all depends on the brand of the DVD. It makes me laugh when people say they just bought a pack of 100 blank DVDs for a fiver, and they burn fine. Yes, they'll burn fine...but try playing them in 18 months!! You need a good make of DVD (and CD of course), preferrebly Taiyo Yuden, which seem to be what studios use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:33 am 

It's like floppies - too cheap to sell to make well now.

Funny how docs 000s of years old on paper endure while the latest tech is so fragile.

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:26 am 

exit81 wrote:
It all depends on the brand of the DVD. It makes me laugh when people say they just bought a pack of 100 blank DVDs for a fiver, and they burn fine. Yes, they'll burn fine...but try playing them in 18 months!! You need a good make of DVD (and CD of course), preferrebly Taiyo Yuden, which seem to be what studios use.

Yep, Taiyo Yuden is by far the best brand of optical disc to use. All my important music (TD Trees) are archived on Taiyo Yuden.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubycon/collections/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:35 am 

Backed all my tree stuff onto 1TB hardrive
so much capacity makes my lights dim when i use it :roll:

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache

Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] 

Jump to: