Tangram 2008

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Tangram 2008

Post by 24db »

A track by track review/ highly opinionated description:

Tangerine Dream: Tangram 2008

Track ONE:

Episode 1: Wisdom And Tragedy: A single string note kicks the track off, but it’s not long before the familiar echoing Tangram sequence is introduced, together with a new sound from Edgar; a MFD-like rhythm with a bending spiked bass note. Under this a simple two note string refrain cycles along for a few bars, echoing the plaintive ‘wah wah!’ cry of the original, calling and responding until there’s a burst of noise, followed by a slight swell and then a squelchy ‘processed’ percussion loop kicks in. Highly modulated it adds a certain amount of drive and fits the tempo and track nicely. Another synth swell and a gorgeous choir note takes centre stage, and it’s here that a more forceful drum hit marks the chord changes and then the choir drops away, percussion ripple, creating a nice dynamic punch. A few beats, and once again the choir is back. The piece builds with extra synth notes, pattering drums and 12 string-like strums. The sequencers & volume start to build and then the usual rhythmic chord-sequence punches in (which strike me as newly recorded), a white noise burst and then it’s straight into a brand new sequence (Edgar having removed the rather cheesy flute melody of the original, thankfully for me as it always made me cringe) and at:

4.37…a stomping rhythm takes over with atmospheric burbling synth ripples (I can’t really describe it, but imagine if a Blue whale could scat, it might sound something like this). Everything starts whooshing all over the shop…the key drops and at…

5.06… the old Tangram is back! but this time with a thumping bass drum (techno-ish) make over. It adds more drive with the old strident chord sequence banging along for company, but this time replete with the new choir sound, Edgar turns everything up to 11 with a rolling bass line...Granny get your glow-sticks!, but just in time he brings his guitar back to remind us of the original. The choir builds and the drums mark time…for a few bars…thump! Thump! thump! thump! and then, bang!!!!! the stomping rhythm is back with funky drum syncopations, it builds to a crescendo and then to a quick fade.

If you don't think this would sound great live then I suggest you check for a pulse ;)
24db

Tangram 2008 clip on Groove.nl

Post by 24db »

Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

What I'd like to understand is the thinking behind Groove Unlimited being allowed to have the samples on their website, but TD headquarters, while updating the website player, not including tracks from T & H 2008. Don't they want to showcase their newest releases?
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:What I'd like to understand is the thinking behind Groove Unlimited being allowed to have the samples on their website, but TD headquarters, while updating the website player, not including tracks from T & H 2008. Don't they want to showcase their newest releases?
I agree, although it might be that TD's policy is that they don't have stuff on their player, unless you can download it from them? (I'm probably wrong as I haven't got the time to check all the new tracks on the Website player).
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

24db wrote:although it might be that TD's policy is that they don't have stuff on their player, unless you can download it from them?
Yes I agree, that could be...
24db

Post by 24db »

http://eng.generator.pl/x_C_I__P_5713410-5710001.html

more clips for those who haven't made their mind up whether the new version is worth getting..

and if not, why not? ;) :D
Six By Nine

Re: Tangram 2008

Post by Six By Nine »

24db wrote: If you don't think this would sound great live then I suggest you check for a pulse ;)
And that's where they should have stayed!
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

24db wrote:http://eng.generator.pl/x_C_I__P_5713410-5710001.html

more clips for those who haven't made their mind up whether the new version is worth getting..

I have - and no thanks!
24db

Post by 24db »

Six By Nine wrote:
24db wrote:http://eng.generator.pl/x_C_I__P_5713410-5710001.html

I have - and no thanks!
good man
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

24db wrote:If you don't think this would sound great live then I suggest you check for a pulse ;)
i've written a review for my blog but it's in pen form right now not electronic. I will get around to transcribing it.

My only problem with Tangram 2008 is track 2 which I think is a mess, and the misuse (IMHO of course) of drum beats where they really aren't necessary. Apart from that, it's a great album to have! I still have the original to reminiesce (sic) with. Live T08 could be awesome. Get the glow sticks out for Track 3. :lol:
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

wayfarer wrote:
24db wrote:If you don't think this would sound great live then I suggest you check for a pulse ;)
i've written a review for my blog but it's in pen form right now not electronic. I will get around to transcribing it.

My only problem with Tangram 2008 is track 2 which I think is a mess, and the misuse (IMHO of course) of drum beats where they really aren't necessary. Apart from that, it's a great album to have! I still have the original to reminiesce (sic) with. Live T08 could be awesome. Get the glow sticks out for Track 3. :lol:

The original Tangram is probably in my top 10 TD albums but I do not listen to it that often, this helped me in a way when listening to Tangram 2008 because I was able to listen to it without the original still fresh in my mind, and because of this I did not compare the two.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

cantosis wrote:
wayfarer wrote:

The original Tangram is probably in my top 10 TD albums but I do not listen to it that often, this helped me in a way when listening to Tangram 2008 because I was able to listen to it without the original still fresh in my mind, and because of this I did not compare the two.
That'd be handy! :lol: :wink:

Honestly, my take on Tangram wasn't blinkered by my attitude towards the original. I did listen to T2008 with an open mind. Aurally, I found the second track to be a bit messy. In my soon to be published article I attempt to explain why. As I've posted before, I love the direction Edgar and TD have been going in, of late, so don't want to say too much on the official forum. Having said that, upon my review listen, T2008 didn't sound quite as bad as it did on my second listen of it. :lol:
24db

Post by 24db »

any reason why the new version and The Soft Dream Decade (download) have exactly the same artwork?
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

24db wrote:any reason why the new version and The Soft Dream Decade (download) have exactly the same artwork?
... because it's very nice. :wink:
Tangram Fan

As you can tell by my screen name....

Post by Tangram Fan »

.....Tangram is quite near and dear to my heart!! It was the very first TD album that I ever purchased, back in '82, quickly followed by Phaedra, which had been "updated" a couple of years back.

Anyway, I do like the new version, but I was legitimately fearful of it. Why mess with such a classic?!?!? I knew that it had the possibility to be "beat heavy", which it is, but I do like this version. Nothing can compare to the original, but for a different slant on the subject, I find it quite listenable and will revisit it many times to come.

Why Hyperbora 08 was not as beat heavy is a mistary to me, but that is a fine update as well, IMHO.

Briefly on another topic, why does Groove.NL have a TD concert listed for UCLA in the USA for October, and this site has yet to even mention this date, let alone a full US tour, which is MUCH overdo?!?!? :!: :!:
Everything is beautiful, once you open your eyes!