Tangram 2008

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: As you can tell by my screen name....

Post by 24db »

Tangram Fan wrote:.....Tangram is quite near and dear to my heart!! It was the very first TD album that I ever purchased, back in '82, quickly followed by Phaedra, which had been "updated" a couple of years back.

Anyway, I do like the new version, but I was legitimately fearful of it. Why mess with such a classic?!?!? I knew that it had the possibility to be "beat heavy", which it is, but I do like this version. Nothing can compare to the original, but for a different slant on the subject, I find it quite listenable and will revisit it many times to come.

Why Hyperbora 08 was not as beat heavy is a mistary to me, but that is a fine update as well, IMHO.

Briefly on another topic, why does Groove.NL have a TD concert listed for UCLA in the USA for October, and this site has yet to even mention this date, let alone a full US tour, which is MUCH overdo?!?!? :!: :!:
it's on November 7th at the Royce Hall, UCLA. TD are looking in to a full tour of the States (and Japan) in 2009, provided ticket sales go well for the LA gig. It appears that TD will play some of their Hollywood soundtrack material at this gig

The concert has been mentioned before (see the performance section of this forum), but tickets only go on sale after the 23rd. I'd guess that TD will officially announce this 'only' when tickets are on sale.

more info:

TD are to play the Royce Hall, UCLA on Friday, November 7th at 8.00PM:
Price: $48, $36, $24($15 UCLA students)

Tangerine Dream

Earning a tenacious cult following in 1974 for their stunning debut album Phaedra, the groundbreaking German group Tangerine Dream has played a major role in the rise of electronic music – from the krautrock of the early ‘70s to the synth pop of the ‘80s to the ambient and electronica dance music of today. Led by visionary founder Edward (sic) Froese, this über-influential band brings their spacey, pulsating sound to UCLA Live in a concert celebrating its 40th anniversary. Accompanied by the group’s dazzling trademark light and video choreography, the program will feature music from their more than 50 television and movie soundtracks, and some of their most popular works from the 1970s-1990s. “Tangerine Dream stays vigorously on track and on theme, daring their listeners to follow them into the surreal landscapes of the dreamed and desired” [The New York Times].

SINGLE TICKETS GO ON SALE JULY 23.

Phone 310.825.2101
Mon-Fri from 10am-4pm; Sat & Sun from 10am-2pm via phone only

(Note: The box office will not have weekend hours during the month of July, 2007, but tickets are still available online)

Download an order form for fax or mail

Fax

Mail
UCLA Central Ticket Office
P.O. Box 24607
Los Angeles, CA 90024-0607

In person
The CTO windows are located in the James West Alumni Center and are open Mon-Fri 10am-4pm.

We accept American Express, VISA, MasterCard, and Discover. Make checks payable to UC Regents.

SINGLE EVENTS

Add the following single events to your Series Subscription and save 10% off the single event ticket price. Call Central Ticket Office at 310.825.2101.

Césaria Évora
Hal Willner's Stay Awake: The Official 20th Anniversary Concert
Tangerine Dream
Guillermina Quiroga Dance Company*
Musicians from Marlboro
Manuel Göttsching

*Not eligible for discount
24db

Post by 24db »

Cyclone wrote:
24db wrote:any reason why the new version and The Soft Dream Decade (download) have exactly the same artwork?
... because it's very nice. :wink:
perhaps all the albums could have the same artwork and Edgar could just change the number ...1.2 1.3 1.4?
hansx

Post by hansx »

Finally got this one. Have to say, this one is a really modern version of Tangram. It sounds fresh. I like it better than the Phaedra version.
Will hear it a lot, as far as I can see now.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

hansx wrote:Finally got this one. Have to say, this one is a really modern version of Tangram. It sounds fresh. I like it better than the Phaedra version.
Have to agree..........its the best of the re-recorded versions IMHO.... 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I like all the re-recorded albums its a tight finish between them for which I like best though, it changes each time I listen to a different one.
hansx

Post by hansx »

epsilon75 wrote:
hansx wrote:Finally got this one. Have to say, this one is a really modern version of Tangram. It sounds fresh. I like it better than the Phaedra version.
Have to agree..........its the best of the re-recorded versions IMHO.... 8)
Yep, have to make Edgar a compliment. I only wonder what the others think of those recordings. And then I mean Christopher or Johannes :D
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

I hear that sound it really better.
Too bad cloud Released as Regular Edition.
Also Come with the New Digital Copy Music so you take it too go. :D :wink:

:!: :arrow:
Froesesque

Post by Froesesque »

I quite like Tangram 2008, I think the new embelishments are an intersting addition. As for Hyperborea 2008, mmmmmmmmmmm jury is still out for that one for me.

:roll:
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
har

Post by har »

Have to say, like others on here, I was a bit concerned regarding one of my favourite TD albums, in fact favourite EVER albums. being reworked.

Two days after download...............................

BRILLIANT.

'Nuff said.
homeless

Post by homeless »

Froesesque wrote:I quite like Tangram 2008, I think the new embelishments are an intersting addition. As for Hyperborea 2008, mmmmmmmmmmm jury is still out for that one for me.

:roll:
Ditto exactly.

The original Hyperborea, even then, the hairs on my neck lay flat.
I don't know what it is. I 'got' Tyger eventually.

Hyperborea never did get out for first gear for me.

:oops:

If played 'live' at the 'Athens of the North' .... it may change my mind.

:wink:

homeless
jacob

Post by jacob »

Nice to see that Tangram 2008 is already sold out, and will be re-printed soon.
Appearantly many people are very interested in re-worked classics, so I guess we haven't seen the last one yet. 8)
Jacob's Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

jacob wrote:Nice to see that Tangram 2008 is already sold out, and will be re-printed soon.
Appearantly many people are very interested in re-worked classics, so I guess we haven't seen the last one yet. 8)
I've not been disappointed with any of them so far so I'll be quite happy to see more. :D
GAZZ

Post by GAZZ »

just got my copy of tangram 2008. the original 1980 copy is one of my favourite td albums so i was more than nervous when i put the new version into the player. why was i nervous .... as always td have re-worked this classic and its now got added balls to go with it awesome!! bring on a re-worked white eagle ..... please :roll: :roll:
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

jacob wrote:Nice to see that Tangram 2008 is already sold out, and will be re-printed soon.
Reprinted? I thought it was a limited run of 2000 only?
aaronmcphee

Post by aaronmcphee »

The general concesus so far on Tangram 08 seems to be a positive one, I only got around to downloading it several weeks after it's release & I have to say I'm lovin it!! It is one of the few TD albums that can get away with sounding current, partly I believe, due to the original being a masterpiece of it's era, & partly (or more obviously) the additional percussion/synths.

I can't think of a instance throughout the entire album that caused me to cringe, frown or grimace, remixing something that is already intended to be a finished piece, the creation of which involved the colaboration of all the members at the time, is very difficult to do well & not compromise the original.
Tangram 08 gets a big thumbs up from me....Hyperborea 08! well that's a different matter....eeeek! I guess Edgar & co's creative juices must have run out by then.
Tiger Tiger burning bright....Bruce! throw another shrimp on!