Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
cyclone


but for I: mad rigal meridian is a steamhammer* over the head : its metalmusic : I love its POWER and serene finale



*of course :wink: :wink:

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:13 pm
Posts: 869
Location: Twiddling with a HiFi system somewhere
Desert_Voyager wrote:
Sfearical Sequence wrote:
It always seemed to me that the entire album gets trashed by so many people merely because it has vocals on it. They seem to forget that one entire side of the album is purely instrumental (and IMO very much on par with "Force Majeure"), plus "Bent Cold Sidewalk" has a great instrumental break with vocals only at the beginning and end. The only real throwaway track is "Rising Runner" and at only 4 minutes, you're not losing very much if you skip that one altogether. Musically, the album is still very much the TD you would expect of the period, so it's easy to overlook the vocals. Not only that, the lyrics are kind of abstract and surreal anyway, so they aren't a bad fit for the music.

Rising Runner is a disgusting song and is solid proof that everything of the Virgin Years was not golden, IMHO.


'Ere we go again, you and me.

I think Rising Runner's a masterpiece from Cyclone and it works a treat for me.

Oh Gawd. Better wash my ears out!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:17 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Somerset
DSJR wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
Sfearical Sequence wrote:
It always seemed to me that the entire album gets trashed by so many people merely because it has vocals on it. They seem to forget that one entire side of the album is purely instrumental (and IMO very much on par with "Force Majeure"), plus "Bent Cold Sidewalk" has a great instrumental break with vocals only at the beginning and end. The only real throwaway track is "Rising Runner" and at only 4 minutes, you're not losing very much if you skip that one altogether. Musically, the album is still very much the TD you would expect of the period, so it's easy to overlook the vocals. Not only that, the lyrics are kind of abstract and surreal anyway, so they aren't a bad fit for the music.

Rising Runner is a disgusting song and is solid proof that everything of the Virgin Years was not golden, IMHO.


'Ere we go again, you and me.

I think Rising Runner's a masterpiece from Cyclone and it works a treat for me.

Oh Gawd. Better wash my ears out!

That's good. This forum would be boring if everyone liked all the same music all the time.

My opinion is that it just doesn't sound at all like Tangerine Dream of any period to me. I suspect it had little or nothing to do with EF or CF. If I can disregard the vocals the rest of the album is much better, IMHO.

So why do you like Rising Runner?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:58 pm
Posts: 541
Location: under the bed.
Desert_Voyager wrote:
DSJR wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
Sfearical Sequence wrote:
It always seemed to me that the entire album gets trashed by so many people merely because it has vocals on it. They seem to forget that one entire side of the album is purely instrumental (and IMO very much on par with "Force Majeure"), plus "Bent Cold Sidewalk" has a great instrumental break with vocals only at the beginning and end. The only real throwaway track is "Rising Runner" and at only 4 minutes, you're not losing very much if you skip that one altogether. Musically, the album is still very much the TD you would expect of the period, so it's easy to overlook the vocals. Not only that, the lyrics are kind of abstract and surreal anyway, so they aren't a bad fit for the music.

Rising Runner is a disgusting song and is solid proof that everything of the Virgin Years was not golden, IMHO.


'Ere we go again, you and me.

I think Rising Runner's a masterpiece from Cyclone and it works a treat for me.

Oh Gawd. Better wash my ears out!

That's good. This forum would be boring if everyone liked all the same music all the time.

My opinion is that it just doesn't sound at all like Tangerine Dream of any period to me. I suspect it had little or nothing to do with EF or CF. If I can disregard the vocals the rest of the album is much better, IMHO.

So why do you like Rising Runner?



I love Rising Runner, I like the instrumentation, it reaks of the 70s and i think its wonderfully catchy. But like you say, each to his own :)

_________________
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:13 pm
Posts: 869
Location: Twiddling with a HiFi system somewhere
Desert_Voyager wrote:
DSJR wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
Sfearical Sequence wrote:
It always seemed to me that the entire album gets trashed by so many people merely because it has vocals on it. They seem to forget that one entire side of the album is purely instrumental (and IMO very much on par with "Force Majeure"), plus "Bent Cold Sidewalk" has a great instrumental break with vocals only at the beginning and end. The only real throwaway track is "Rising Runner" and at only 4 minutes, you're not losing very much if you skip that one altogether. Musically, the album is still very much the TD you would expect of the period, so it's easy to overlook the vocals. Not only that, the lyrics are kind of abstract and surreal anyway, so they aren't a bad fit for the music.

Rising Runner is a disgusting song and is solid proof that everything of the Virgin Years was not golden, IMHO.


'Ere we go again, you and me.

I think Rising Runner's a masterpiece from Cyclone and it works a treat for me.

Oh Gawd. Better wash my ears out!

That's good. This forum would be boring if everyone liked all the same music all the time.

My opinion is that it just doesn't sound at all like Tangerine Dream of any period to me. I suspect it had little or nothing to do with EF or CF. If I can disregard the vocals the rest of the album is much better, IMHO.

So why do you like Rising Runner?


I don't know, it's just mad :P

It has a breathless quality (the whole album does I think), very intense and you get carried away with it; very much indicative of the whole "punk" thing that was going on at the time.

I really do think that TD were under huge pressure at the time and, whatever went on behind the scenes, the loss of PB was very deeply felt for a while until the new "dynamic" settled down..

I enjoy Cyclone now far more than I did then..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:59 pm
Posts: 10
Actually, Cyclone is a absolute UNDERRATED album, and one of the best TD albums. I have enjoyed a lot hearing this disc, and some of my friends too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:17 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Somerset
xenon wrote:
Actually, Cyclone is a absolute UNDERRATED album, and one of the best TD albums. I have enjoyed a lot hearing this disc, and some of my friends too.

No, it isn't underrated at all because nearly everyone here is very excited about it except for me and one or two others at the most. If it was a fact that this album is one of the best by TD, I would not be a fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:59 pm
Posts: 10
I wasn't talking about the forum membership, I was talking about general people or critics, specially in the time Cyclone was released...

Yours,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:28 pm
Posts: 288
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
JD wrote:
I love Rising Runner, I like the instrumentation, it reaks of the 70s and i think its wonderfully catchy. But like you say, each to his own :)

I like the first 8 seconds of Rising Runner. The opening synthesizer lines have a lot of promise, but then (for me anyway) the remainder of the track just doesn't deliver on that promise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:17 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Somerset
Sfearical Sequence wrote:
I like the first 8 seconds of Rising Runner. The opening synthesizer lines have a lot of promise, but then (for me anyway) the remainder of the track just doesn't deliver on that promise.

That makes two of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:01 am
Posts: 2459
Location: Iris & Linda's underwear draw
Madrigal Meridian always gives my HiFi a good stern test and blows the cobwebs out of the speakers !!!

_________________
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:50 pm
Posts: 547
Location: Louisiana, USA
Because Cyclone was to be TD's first release with vocals, I was a bit ambivalent about it because in my mind TD was an instrumental group. But the concept of vocals intrigued me. I had a hunch that the vocals would be unlike anything mainstream. In that sense, I wasn't disappointed. The two vocal tracks were quite unusual, rather what I expected from TD. But I could only tolerate them in small doses. Side Two was more my speed because it was an album-length instrumental. So I don't dislike Bent Cold Sidewalk or Rising Runner, though of the two, the former is the better offering IMHO.

_________________
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 221
Location: The long way returning from the Orange Dreamland
Cyclone still rules at the second place for me, Madcap's Flaming Duty is my new number one.

_________________
The way a world of dreams is going on!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:42 pm
Posts: 4483
Location: Netherlands
I don't play it a lot, Don't know why. For some reason it is not a cd which I take out of the closet too soon. Maybe the vocals. However there are some decent instrumental tracks on it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:46 am
Posts: 2603
Location: Maroubra Bay
I just got Cyclone and as a new fan I had read alot about it which was mainly negative. I was really surprised to find that it is a great listen. To me the vocals don't detract from the record at all it just gives it an extra dimension albeit a rather strange and slightly punky/prog one. 8)

_________________
"Sydney till I Die"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage