TD @ Fopp (again)

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:its sad to see the 'high street' record shops going. I heard recently that Mr.Cds and Select a Disc in Berwick Street, London have gone. A few years back, me and a couple friends used to save our christmas bonus and christmas money and book a day off in january and go and spend it all on records and cds. We'd come home with the plastic bag handles straining under the weight of our purchases. Golden days!
I try to avoid downloads as i prefer the product...to hold the cd case, read the credits etc.
I do use mail order because its the only way to get alot of music i love.

Shops are suffering because of the download market ....but i think the music industry has pushed things in this direction. Record labels ripping off artists and fans alike for years. Two of my favorite bands,(TD and MARILLION) both have their own labels and studios. With Marillion, we even pay for the album up to 2yrs in advance. In return, we get a special extended edition of the album, our name in the credits list etc. The band use the funds to promote the album etc.

And how many HMV's or small indie record stores could you purchase TD's latest offerings from.

It may not be great for record shops but its the way it is.
Selectadisc hasn't really gone...as such. Sisteray bought them out and run the shop almost 100% the same (same layout and range...basically, perhaps with some more vinyl).

How many HMVs stocked TD? about 99% of them had MFD, as it was promoted and distrubuted beyond this website.

Yes some shops are closing, however some are opening, such as Rough Trade East. In fact if you look at the latest Music industry figures for this year you'll see that digital sales are up (or at least they were pre-credit crunch). Perhaps, at last, the industry will open it eyes and see that Mp3s and downloads are an opportunity, and this goes for small record shops as well...they've got to move with the times. Know your market as the old cliche goes, offer people what they want, when they want...and perhaps challenge their tastes and tempt them into different forms of music
GAZZ

Post by GAZZ »

yeah,i've got to agree with navel of light about the high street record shops closing down. its not the same gettin music over the net etc, i used to love the buzz of travelling to a different town/city and finding something that you had been after in a record shop you had only heard about or found at random and driving home with that feelin you had got something special or a rare find :roll:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:Can you still order from Fopp on the internet?

I tried finding their old site earlier on but couldn't locate it.
sadly no, although the site says they'll be updating it soon. But it's been saying that for ages
Thanks Andy.

...and darn it, might have to take a trip down to the centre of Bristol.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:Can you still order from Fopp on the internet?

I tried finding their old site earlier on but couldn't locate it.
sadly no, although the site says they'll be updating it soon. But it's been saying that for ages
Thanks Andy.

...and darn it, might have to take a trip down to the centre of Bristol.
I'd check with them first mate, as some of these are for a limited time only. A few weeks back the Glasgow branch had quite a few TDI discs in, when I checked the other day almost all of them had gone.
Hobo

Re: TD @ Fopp (again)

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:The Highstreet store Fopp is once again selling some TD CDs very cheaply...at the moment (if you happen to be near Glasgow...and other branches across the UK) they are selling the following for £3 each (which is a bargain whichever way you look at it):

Electronic Meditation
Alpha Centauri
Zeit
Atem
Green Desert
Le Parc
Tyger
Poland
Live Miles

These are the 2002 Sanctuary re-issues that come with Paul Russels rather good sleeve notes.

A great way to get an instant collection for only 27 quid :)
Thanks for the heads up Andy. From that list, I am missing Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri and Tyger (on cd). Sadly, I am no longer near a Fopp store. :cry:
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Re: TD @ Fopp (again)

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:The Highstreet store Fopp is once again selling some TD CDs very cheaply...at the moment (if you happen to be near Glasgow...and other branches across the UK) they are selling the following for £3 each (which is a bargain whichever way you look at it):

Electronic Meditation
Alpha Centauri
Zeit
Atem
Green Desert
Le Parc
Tyger
Poland
Live Miles

These are the 2002 Sanctuary re-issues that come with Paul Russels rather good sleeve notes.

A great way to get an instant collection for only 27 quid :)
Thanks for the heads up Andy. From that list, I am missing Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri and Tyger (on cd). Sadly, I am no longer near a Fopp store. :cry:
ouch...sorry to hear that mate, typically your selection includes all the discs I didn't buy, otherwise I would have offered you any spares I might have :(

here's a photo to prove they were available though:

alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I could never get over the costs of these discs sure beats £15 that HMV charge
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
24db

Post by 24db »

alipaul wrote:I could never get over the costs of these discs sure beats £15 that HMV charge
somewhat ironic as I seem to remember that HMV bought Fopp and closed down 90 odd branches, or they closed down first and then HMV bought them...either way £3 is a good price
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I think i paid £17 for the US version of Tyger :x
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
24db

Post by 24db »

alipaul wrote:I think i paid £17 for the US version of Tyger :x
Yeah....but track one has a different mix mate ;)
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

At least Fopp ar still going ..shopping for CD's & vinyl in Edinburgh & Glasgow wouldn't be the same without them. Maybe not as good as they were but cheaper than most other shops.
24db

Post by 24db »

I see that Play.com are doing some CDs for £2.99 at the moment :)
Sorcerer
Green Desert
Le Parc
Tyger
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:I see that Play.com are doing some CDs for £2.99 at the moment :)
Sorcerer
Green Desert
Le Parc
Tyger
Some awesome albums from different bands there at giveaway prices 8) :P
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Sorcerer
Green Desert
Le Parc
Tyger
Also Zeit and Atem 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
Sorcerer
Green Desert
Le Parc
Tyger
Also Zeit and Atem 8)
out of stock mate I think