Album reviews?

lemonstar
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Album reviews?

Post by lemonstar »

Hello Tangfans - my first post.

Apart from
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1295

where else would you look for a reliable and comprehensive set of TD reviews?

I followed the Tangs from 74-92 buying alomost eveything I could lay my hands on/afford. I saw the Tangs twice:
Dominion 1982 (back of my head is on the front cover!)
Hanley 1986

82 being far the more interesting concert - JS really bringing some life to the spectacle and the live sound quality was incredible. Most memorable thing from Hanley was some guy standing up on his seat in the stalls at the front and shouting "Vorsprung durch Technic!" before the concert started.

After too many disappointing releases from TD and EF I drifted away - I think Canyon Dream was the last one I bought. More recently I picked up a cheap copy of Mars Polaris which was better than I was expecting so I was thinking where on earth do I start if I'm looking to listen to more TD?

Neil
24db

Re: Album reviews?

Post by 24db »

lemonstar wrote:Hello Tangfans - my first post.

Apart from
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1295

where else would you look for a reliable and comprehensive set of TD reviews?

I followed the Tangs from 74-92 buying alomost eveything I could lay my hands on/afford. I saw the Tangs twice:
Dominion 1982 (back of my head is on the front cover!)
Hanley 1986

82 being far the more interesting concert - JS really bringing some life to the spectacle and the live sound quality was incredible. Most memorable thing from Hanley was some guy standing up on his seat in the stalls at the front and shouting "Vorsprung durch Technic!" before the concert started.

After too many disappointing releases from TD and EF I drifted away - I think Canyon Dream was the last one I bought. More recently I picked up a cheap copy of Mars Polaris which was better than I was expecting so I was thinking where on earth do I start if I'm looking to listen to more TD?

Neil
welcome Neil

you could do worse than getting hold of a copy of TD's new(ish) album Purple Diluvial...it seems to be the most widly praised of TD's recent crop of releases (especially by people who drifted away from the group for a while), either that or get the Booster two disc compilation

andy

https://www.ssl-id.de/edgarfroese.de/sh ... p?p=dc801d
Nero

Post by Nero »

Welcome Neil. I think there is absolutely no risk in buying most of their new CDs. Maybe you could start with Springtime in Nagasaki and Summer in Nagasaki,
Sleeping Watches Snoring in Silence up to Views From A Red Train, Tangram and Hyperborea 2008 and the Anthology Decades etc etc.
Booster is also a good mirror of the last years' highlights.
If you like operatic sounds you could try the Dante series with Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso. Just have a try, you can't go that wrong.:wink:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Hi Neil,
How about picking up a copy of Booster (2CD). It contains snippets from the EPs that TD have been releasing to coincide with various concerts over recent years and most of it is pretty cool.
timer

Post by timer »

Welcome to the Forum Neil 8)
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Welcome Neil. I would say you must get Booster. it really shows TD at the top of their game, it has some really great tracks on it.
lemonstar

Post by lemonstar »

Hey thanks for the welcome and the pointers - I feel it's about time I dumped some of my vague electronica memories from the late 70's, 80's somewhere; there was a time when I used to eat, sleep and drink electronica and spend every penny I could save on new material - everything from Ashra, Ian Boddy, Cluster, Eno/Egg, Far East Family Band, Gunter Schickert, Heldon, etc...to Bernard Zolotl, Stomu Yamashta and Zed.

So - no other suggestions about a comprehensive source of reviews?
24db

Post by 24db »

lemonstar wrote:Hey thanks for the welcome and the pointers - I feel it's about time I dumped some of my vague electronica memories from the late 70's, 80's somewhere; there was a time when I used to eat, sleep and drink electronica and spend every penny I could save on new material - everything from Ashra, Ian Boddy, Cluster, Eno/Egg, Far East Family Band, Gunter Schickert, Heldon, etc...to Bernard Zolotl, Stomu Yamashta and Zed.

you could try rate your music.
har

Post by har »

Hi lemonstar.

I also had a lot of catching up to do and following the lads recommendations on here, I initially downloaded;

Sleeping Watches
Bells Of Accra
Spring in Nagasaki
Summer in Nagasaki.

All are superb and revitalised my interest in the Tangs.

I would also thoroughly recommend Booster as the other lads have also mentioned.

Please also get a hold of Jeanne D'arc. A work of immense beauty the totally blew me away 8)
razor

Post by razor »

I think Amazon.com is a very good place to start to read reviews of other peoples opinions about TD albums etc :)

You get a pretty good view of what is good and not so good....
"You Laugh At Me Because I'm Diffrent, I Laugh At You Because You're All The Same"
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

24db wrote:
lemonstar wrote:Hey thanks for the welcome and the pointers - I feel it's about time I dumped some of my vague electronica memories from the late 70's, 80's somewhere; there was a time when I used to eat, sleep and drink electronica and spend every penny I could save on new material - everything from Ashra, Ian Boddy, Cluster, Eno/Egg, Far East Family Band, Gunter Schickert, Heldon, etc...to Bernard Zolotl, Stomu Yamashta and Zed.

you could try rate your music.
A helpful aspect of Rate Your Music is being able to see what's in the reviewer's own collection... a useful feature for pointing out where their natural tastes may lie and therefore where they're coming from.

Welcome Neil BTW...
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I recommended Booster to another 70~80s TD fan as a feeling of TD today and he's well chuffed and may be going to London
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
24db

Post by 24db »

alipaul wrote:I recommended Booster to another 70~80s TD fan as a feeling of TD today and he's well chuffed and may be going to London
I've been getting the feeling that quite a few people who drifted away from TD (or fell TD drifted away from them) have gone back to the band in the last 12 months. Strangely enough I also think that TD are just starting to pick up some new fans as well...who would have thought it? ;)
hansx

Post by hansx »

24db wrote:
alipaul wrote:I recommended Booster to another 70~80s TD fan as a feeling of TD today and he's well chuffed and may be going to London
I've been getting the feeling that quite a few people who drifted away from TD (or fell TD drifted away from them) have gone back to the band in the last 12 months. Strangely enough I also think that TD are just starting to pick up some new fans as well...who would have thought it? ;)
I have the same feeling. Most fans who left the band after the Franke period will never return. they simply don't like what TD is doing the last years or has done after the Franke period.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

You cant go wrong with either Springtime or Summer In Nagasaki...beautiful albums with lots of emotions within.

If you wanted a cross section of music, Booster or The Anthology Decades or maybe the Electronic Magic of...these cover some varied music from TD's recent output with the Anthology (or Electronic Magic of...) covering some very varied times.