What got you into TD?

Chris Monk
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Chris Monk »

TD, Theakston's and a bevy of beautiful young ladies !!!

Hell's teeth. :shock:

....actually I was only 14 at the time so I'd probably have been more interested in Lego. :roll:
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:TD, Theakston's and a bevy of beautiful young ladies !!!

....actually I was only 14 at the time so I'd probably have been more interested in Lego. :roll:
Lego? that was for posh kids only ;)
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

24db wrote:

Totally true Andy..the working clasa always had Meccano....effing brilliant although I couldn't make anything decent :lol:
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

For me it was nearly a coincidence:

This was in '78, and I went to the record shop to pick up Mike Oldfield's new album "Incantations". I asked if they could recommend something else, and they came up with the double LP "Encore" and I bought that as well.
Listening to it at home that evening I was totally blown away, and a few days later I went back to order the complete back catalogue and the solo stuff from Edgar as well...
Since then it has been a life long love affair 8) :D
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

sparrow wrote:
24db wrote:

Totally true Andy..the working clasa always had Meccano....effing brilliant although I couldn't make anything decent :lol:
I got into space Lego when I was about 12 but I was never really a great fan as I lacked the patience to complete what ever thing I was supposed to be making :lol:
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

LEGO! LEGO! Now we're talking!
Most sunday afternoons were taken up listening to Firestarter, Thief or Poland and building stuff out of Lego! Be it alien spacecraft or jet planes or trucks!
Ive got a huge commercial cooking oil drum full of lego in my loft and i didnt have the heart to 'break up' my constructions before i stored it up there!

As for lego been for posh kids...im as far from posh as possible. (in the nicest way):-)

(navel of light steps away from the pc and heads for the loft....)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:

Yes. Ones butler put it together for one. :wink:

...actually it's not often I get called posh. I'm going to enjoy the illusion for a moment or two. :wink:
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

24db wrote:
alipaul wrote:He copied his Td albums on to tape for me and took me to the Rainbow Theatre 1974 to see TD live.
Daz...two words....Lucky and Sod ;)

TD's first date on their UK 1974 tour (although not their first UK dates that year)

26.10.74 Rainbow Theatre (Finsbury Park), London, England. 7.30PM Presented by Virgin Concerts Limited. Tickets £1.70 available from London Theatre Bookings, 96 Shaftesbury Avenue, W1 (saturday)

That's the one :D
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

24db wrote:
24db wrote:
alipaul wrote:He copied his Td albums on to tape for me and took me to the Rainbow Theatre 1974 to see TD live.
Daz...two words....Lucky and Sod ;)

TD's first date on their UK 1974 tour (although not their first UK dates that year)

Wow TD used to have support bands 8)
Nah...don't think so. In fact TD have only had a support artist on a handful of occassions.

Shame Daz didn't get an invitation after the gig (here's the actual wording):

You are cordially invited to a RECEPTION in recognition of that auspicious occasion, namely. TANGERINE DREAM’S FIRST RAINBOW CONCERT

at London’s wonderful Rainbow Theatre of the same name

FEATURING
. FOUR Gigantic Barrel’s of Theakston’s Old Peculier Ale
. VERY Copious Quantities Of High Quality Italian Plonk
. A BEVY Of Beautiful Young Ladies
. Numerous Very Interesting Weirdos And Skilled Conversationalists
. LOTS Of other Things Too Divers And Recherche To Mention

AT THE RAINBOW THEATRE'S PURPLE ROOM DIRECTLY AFTER THE CONCERT
That's why my Uncle John looked pissed off after the gig as he had a teenager around his neck !!!! :wink:
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
24db

Post by 24db »

was there a shortage of scarfs that year? ;)
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

In Summer 1976 in the afternoon programme "Treffpunkt" of the westberlin radio station RIAS2 was announced Pink Floyd's Echoes for the night programme "Goldene 8 Meilen - Rockmusik mit Überlänge" (Golden 8 miles - overlength rock music).
I wanted to record Echoes, but it was the last track of the programme. The first track at that night was Stratosfear - my chance to discover TD.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

For me it was Tommy Vance on the Friday Night Rock show. He played the last sections of Barbakane from Poland (from Warsaw in the Sun onwards). I used to have my finger on the pause button of the tape deck in case something interesting came up. As soon as the dying effects faded away I rewound and listened to the recording four times rather than listen to the rest of the show. I got Poland for Christmas that year, and never looked back.

BTW - I had Meccano AND Lego! Plus lots of Airfix kits... I still associate White Eagle with building a model of a Hercules!
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
entropean

Post by entropean »

sparrow wrote:
24db wrote:

Meccano! We (my brother and I) kept ours in an old biscuit tin, but it went rusty when my brother, who was prone to sleep-walking, mistook the wardrobe for the bathroom and pee'd in the meccano tin. :roll:
har

Post by har »

This strange lad at school brought in Phaedra to play in music last day before christmas hols, must have been about 1977.

The seed was sown.

Saw him walking about carrying Cyclone LP. That album cover!

First holiday abroad, with woman, saw Force Majeure on cassette, spanish version, bought it, ( complete c.rap quality )instant love 8)

So thanks to Maurice, the strange lad, who departed Earth early 80s :( and heard no more Tangerine Dream :(
Misterdance

Post by Misterdance »

That was in 1988 the year Optical Race was released. Before that I listened already to J-M jarre, Vangelis, Klaus Schulze and so on. I discovered TD by coincedince listening to a dutch radio channel. I was sold amediatly and went to the store to buy it! After that I bought a lot of albums from Edgar / TD.

Nowadays my taste of music is wide, but TD is my most important influence. Still like Optical Race the most because it is and was my first love with TD.

MD
:)
Fred-E Skywalker fka Misterdance.

Visit my website: http://www.fredvdwerf.nl