What got you into TD?

wayfarer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by wayfarer »

billythefish wrote:I used to have my finger on the pause button of the tape deck in case something interesting came up.
I remember those days! :D
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

wayfarer wrote:
billythefish wrote:I used to have my finger on the pause button of the tape deck in case something interesting came up.
I've still got the tapes for those nostalgic moments :D
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:
wayfarer wrote:
I've still got the tapes for those nostalgic moments :D
release them :)
xsaram3

Post by xsaram3 »

wayfarer wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
Peter Beasley wrote: nor for some inexplicable reason did I attend any of TDs UK debut shows that year.
I didn't get to see TD until 1980 so totally missed out on all the Baumann years shows. I actually had the chance but turned it down. You can imagine how stupid I feel now. :roll:
You can imagine how I feel. I saw TD for the first time in 2005 :lol: 22 years after my formative listening sessions. :shock:
I can beat that for stupidness
first heard stratosfear '76 - First gig Barcelona 2004 - 28 years
" Eat Sh1t, a million flies can't be wrong"
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Circa 1982, a mate played me Sorcerer, and then loaned me a cassette with Logos on one side and White Eagle on the other, both playing too fast! I already liked all the synth pop stuff (Depeche, OMD, Numan, etc) and also Jarre....but it took a while for TD to truly sink in, I guess I was a little too young (16-17) to completely understand their music. However, getting Poland for Christmas in 1984 sealed the deal. After listening to the first 5 minutes on headphones on Christmas morning, I knew this was the music that I'd been waiting for.
A Hyperborean

Film music

Post by A Hyperborean »

cantosis wrote:Can`t remember to be honest, I think it was the Risky Business movie which really got my attention. I love the feel of that movie and how the music is used. It really stops the movie from being an average 80s teen flick to being one of the best comedy movies of the 80s INMHO.

Music can really leave deep impacts when watching movies. Platoon is another movie where the music really made it stand out from other war movies of the 80s
I agree 100%. I liked the way Near Dark used the music too. Violent and shocking, brilliantly emotionally coloured by TD's music. I'd like to see The Keep again, I used to have it on an old video tape.
Tangerine Dream cleans my brain.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Heard Rubycon at a mates in 1978/9 and was amazed at the sheer brilliance contained on that vinyl,i was heavily into rock and punk at the time and had never heard anything quite like it.
30 years on and countless fantastic TD releases have graced my ears,but Rubycon still amazes me to the current day and has a special place in my heart,its an incredible album IMHO.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

epsilon75 wrote:Heard Rubycon at a mates in 1978/9 and was amazed at the sheer brilliance contained on that vinyl,i was heavily into rock and punk at the time and had never heard anything quite like it.
30 years on and countless fantastic TD releases have graced my ears,but Rubycon still amazes me to the current day and has a special place in my heart,its an incredible album IMHO.
Whilst it's not my favourite TD album, I have to agree, Rubycon is utterly unique and still astounds some 30 plus years after it was recorded. I was listening to it the other day and realised, not for the first time, that I've never heard anything quite like it since. Many have tried but none have got anywhere close.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

har wrote:This strange lad at school brought in Phaedra to play in music last day before christmas hols, must have been about 1977.

The seed was sown.

Saw him walking about carrying Cyclone LP. That album cover!

First holiday abroad, with woman, saw Force Majeure on cassette, spanish version, bought it, ( complete c.rap quality )instant love 8)

So thanks to Maurice, the strange lad, who departed Earth early 80s :( and heard no more Tangerine Dream :(
When i was at school i was that strange lad !!!! :shock:
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Hyperboreauk

Post by Hyperboreauk »

Listened to my mates copy of Force Majeure the very next day bought the album from a Sunday Market and was hooked.
A Hyperborean

Post by A Hyperborean »

Chris Monk wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:Heard Rubycon at a mates in 1978/9 and was amazed at the sheer brilliance contained on that vinyl,i was heavily into rock and punk at the time and had never heard anything quite like it.
Whilst it's not my favourite TD album, I have to agree, Rubycon is utterly unique and still astounds some 30 plus years after it was recorded. I was listening to it the other day and realised, not for the first time, that I've never heard anything quite like it since. Many have tried but none have got anywhere close.
I have the same opinion of Rubycon, not a favourite but an absolute triumph. I see it as the icing on the cake that was Phaedra. For me Phaedra was pioneering and experimental, TD were still discovering the possibilities of the technology. Froese, Franke and Baumann took forward what Phaedra started and made a complete, perfect sphere of an album called Rubycon. It is unique and superb.
Tangerine Dream cleans my brain.
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

Sadly I’m No Long involved with Tangerine Dream music for long.

:!: :arrow:
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

Laserdisc Dream wrote:Sadly I’m No Long involved with Tangerine Dream music for long.

:!: :arrow:
No offence, but why bother answering then :?: :roll: :?
har

Post by har »

alipaul wrote:
har wrote:This strange lad at school brought in Phaedra to play in music last day before christmas hols, must have been about 1977.

The seed was sown.

Saw him walking about carrying Cyclone LP. That album cover!

First holiday abroad, with woman, saw Force Majeure on cassette, spanish version, bought it, ( complete c.rap quality )instant love 8)

So thanks to Maurice, the strange lad, who departed Earth early 80s :( and heard no more Tangerine Dream :(
When i was at school i was that strange lad !!!! :shock:
Thing is AP we were all a bit strange at that age, (and still are probably ) nothing stranger than folk :wink:

Wish I'd spoken more to the lad and kept up with him. Might have been able to help him out a bit when things got tough :( .

Anyhow, cheers to Maurice for igniting the Tangerine passion :!:
Lucan

Post by Lucan »

I got into them pretty much by accident. It was 1990 and I was a lad of 15 summers. I'd been into Jean Michel Jarre for a couple of years, and didn't know of any other contemporary musicians who played electronic instrumental music.

One day I was in the public library and came upon an LP with a rather interesting cover. It was called "Zeit" by some German group with the rather amusing name of Tangerine Dream. One of the band members painted the cover, which I found interesting, and then I looked at the track list. One track per side. The instrument list mentioned synthesizers, but there was no mention of vocals. Hugely interesting. Also, it came out five years before "Oxygene".

I had to take this album home and check it out. I'd never heard anything like it before.

No singing. No beat. No rhythm. No melody.

But such a beautiful sound! I'd listen to this album and feel like I was walking on the surface of Pluto or some other cold, rocky, lifeless planet billions of miles from Earth, so far away that if I wanted to go home it would take hours for the message to reach earth and decades for the spaceship to come and pick me up.

18 years on, "Zeit" is still my favourite album in the world. There are other albums that come very very close, but nothing tops "Zeit".
If celibacy was good enough for my father, and his father before him, it's bloody well good enough for me!