The KEEP

tdream4ever
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

The KEEP

Post by tdream4ever »

Whats the story on the CD soundtrack "The KEEP" TDI that was being sold at the London show? Is this a special edition release?
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I was told something by someone but I didn`t make the merchandise stall in the end to find out. Wasn`t a great fan of the music and actually sold my copy on ebay months ago but I am starting to get the collecting bug back and would like to get it again, I dont think I gave it the attention it deserves.

Nice to see you in the abbey though mate.
billythefish

Re: The KEEP

Post by billythefish »

tdream4ever wrote:Whats the story on the CD soundtrack "The KEEP" TDI that was being sold at the London show? Is this a special edition release?
The version for sale this last weekend is the second release from TDI. The first, from 1997, is much rarer, but the second was originally released as part of the 'Millennium Booster' box in late 1999. The difference between them is only the artwork IIRC.

The TDI music was remastered and remixed from what is heard on the film soundtrack, and there is quite a lot of material missing. I love the album though and it has some of my all-time faves on it.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

billythefish wrote:
tdream4ever wrote:Whats the story on the CD soundtrack "The KEEP" TDI that was being sold at the London show? Is this a special edition release?
The version for sale this last weekend is the second release from TDI. The first, from 1997, is much rarer, but the second was originally released as part of the 'Millennium Booster' box in late 1999. The difference between them is only the artwork IIRC.

The TDI music was remastered and remixed from what is heard on the film soundtrack, and there is quite a lot of material missing. I love the album though and it has some of my all-time faves on it.
The track Heritage Survival is an awesome slice of FFS period TD and as far as I'm aware isn't available elsewhere.
timer

Post by timer »

Chris Monk wrote:
billythefish wrote:

The track Heritage Survival is an awesome slice of FFS period TD and as far as I'm aware isn't available elsewhere.
Heritage Survival is a Classic - without question IMHO
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

timer wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
billythefish wrote: The TDI music was remastered and remixed from what is heard on the film soundtrack, and there is quite a lot of material missing. I love the album though and it has some of my all-time faves on it.
Heritage Survival is a Classic - without question IMHO
Absolutely - and 'Ancient Powerplant' is another that I keep having to listen to.
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

... Puer Natus Est Nobis (Gloria) is an excellent symbiosis of TD music with human's voice.
Last edited by Cyclone on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

The problem with the TDI edition of The Keep is that it bears little resemblance to the music in the film. Seek out the Tangerine Tree edition--it's the real deal.
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:The problem with the TDI edition of The Keep is that it bears little resemblance to the music in the film. Seek out the Tangerine Tree edition--it's the real deal.
On one hand, I agree - but on the other, it's nice that we get a cd of mostly original/unheard music (while still having the Tree to keep us happy)!
Sfearical Sequence

Beaubourg wrote:
Sfearical Sequence wrote:The problem with the TDI edition of The Keep is that it bears little resemblance to the music in the film. Seek out the Tangerine Tree edition--it's the real deal.
On one hand, I agree - but on the other, it's nice that we get a cd of mostly original/unheard music (while still having the Tree to keep us happy)!
But why even call it The Keep? Even though it's not labeled as an original soundtrack, it's still deceptive. If it's mostly original/unheard music (which--you're right--it is), it should be called something else.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:
Beaubourg wrote:
But why even call it The Keep? Even though it's not labeled as an original soundtrack, it's still deceptive. If it's mostly original/unheard music (which--you're right--it is), it should be called something else.
This is the same as a lot of the official TD soundtracks though... themes from the film were built on and re-worked to form a proper album. The soundtracks that have not had this treatment (say 'Dead Solid Perfect' for example) are almost unlistenable because the tracks are so short and bitty.
24db

Post by 24db »

Beaubourg wrote:
nearly all of TD's soundtrack albums have been re-worked after the film was released...so you never really get the Original Music
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

"Directly from the scoring reels" and "re-done from scratch" are far from the only choices…

Tho I don't think anything but Zoning falls firmly in the latter extreme?
Sfearical Sequence

24db wrote:
Beaubourg wrote: On one hand, I agree - but on the other, it's nice that we get a cd of mostly original/unheard music (while still having the Tree to keep us happy)!
nearly all of TD's soundtrack albums have been re-worked after the film was released...so you never really get the Original Music
To an extent, yes, but it's for the most part the music that was initially created for the film, refined or remixed a bit. Sorcerer is problematic in that very little of the music was actually used in the film anyway, but with STs like Thief, Wavelength, Firestarter, and Legend, for example, the music, however much "reworked," still sounds pretty much like it does in the film. The TDI Keep contains a large proportion of material that has nothing whatsoever to do with the film, and the tracks that are related to the film bear little resemblance to the film versions. It's obvious that much of it was recorded many years afterward due to the use of instruments that didn't exist at the time. We know it's all due to legal reasons, so apparently there was a limit to how close to the original they could get. The tracks that do sound close to the film score are:
"The Night in Romania"
"Supernatural Accomplice"
"Ancient Powerplant"

That's about it.

Some of the tracks evoke the feeling or mood of the film ("Canzone," "Sign in the Dark," "Weird Village," "Challenger's Arrival"), but others are simply WTF? such as:
"Arx Allemand" (TD doing Bach by way of Wendy Carlos :? )
"Voices From a Common Land"
"Love and Destiny"

The overdubs on Heritage Survival simply ruin it for me, after hearing all the incredible live renditions of that fine piece.

Where is the menacing "Stormbringer?"
Where is the chilling "Dinu Pass"

The TDI edition of The Keep has some great music and is enjoyable to listen to, no doubt, but it is not The Keep.
24db

Post by 24db »

nah...don't agree. Nice post though