Paradiso cd's

71 dB
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 71 dB »

24db wrote:btw I'm not saying Bach is rubbish, I'm just saying 'I' don't like 99% of his stuff, I should add that I don't like Mozart either
Have you really heard 99 % of J. S. Bach's music? I haven't. He composed about 200 hours of music. He composed late-baroque music that is about the culmination of baroque music. In order to understand Bach's greatness one has to understand counterpoint. Listen, listen and listen. Gradually you will start to understand and enjoy more. Finally you'll thank me. :wink:

Mozart is very different but brilliant in it's own way. Try his Piano Concertos Nos. 20-27.
timer

Post by timer »

Classical music is like all genre;s of music a matter of taste.

In my youth classical music was all we heard in the house, as our father was anti Rock / pop music.

There are many pieces of classical music I can appreciate, but it's definately not my first listening choice these days !
24db

Post by 24db »

71 dB wrote:
24db wrote:btw I'm not saying Bach is rubbish, I'm just saying 'I' don't like 99% of his stuff, I should add that I don't like Mozart either
Have you really heard 99 % of J. S. Bach's music? I haven't. He composed about 200 hours of music. He composed late-baroque music that is about the culmination of baroque music. In order to understand Bach's greatness one has to understand counterpoint. Listen, listen and listen. Gradually you will start to understand and enjoy more. Finally you'll thank me. :wink:

Mozart is very different but brilliant in it's own way. Try his Piano Concertos Nos. 20-27.
this thought process is facile....it's like saying unless I own everything by TD then I can't judge it. It's reducing your capacity to think to a maths problem and there's only one answer

You can't judge art on a 'oh I've been told this is mastepiece' therefore I'm therefore too illformed to say whether the music moves me on a biophysiological level until I've sampled all of it. This thought process has held several forms of music back for years, the two main ones being Classical and Jazz (both of which I love btw). The ethos of 'there must be something I'm not understanding, something 'to get', therefore I should just continue to do the same thing until I do so' is, IMHO (and forgive me) utter BS.

I have heard a fair amount of Bach's stuff, and still own some. But it doesn't do anything for 'me', whilst others do. It's how life is
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

24db wrote:This thought process is facile....it's like saying unless I own everything by TD then I can't judge it. It's reducing your capacity to think to a maths problem and there's only one answer
I'm not sure I follow. When I "discoved" Bach's greatness I had heard a very small fraction of his works (Violin Concertos, Cantata No 147). I used these works to extrapolate Bach's works. I use this method always when I explore music that is new to me. I "knew" Tangerine Dream rules after having heard "only" a collection CD of Pink years, Poland, Tyger and Force Majeur.
24db wrote:You can't judge art on a 'oh I've been told this is mastepiece' therefore I'm therefore too illformed to say whether the music moves me on a biophysiological level until I've sampled all of it.
It's wise to sample different kind of works. I "got" Mozart's greatness when I heard his Piano Concertos. It also helps if you understand what the composer was doing and what other composers were doing at that time. This all takes time and asks for perseverance.
24db wrote:This thought process has held several forms of music back for years, the two main ones being Classical and Jazz (both of which I love btw). The ethos of 'there must be something I'm not understanding, something 'to get', therefore I should just continue to do the same thing until I do' is, IMHO (and forgive me) utter BS.
It's up to you what you do, of course. I could have chosen not to explore Tangerine Dream. I am glad I did.
24db wrote:I have heard a fair amount of Bach's stuff, and still own some. But it doesn't do anything for 'me', whilst others do. It's how life is
So which classical composer you do enjoy?
24db

Post by 24db »

Satie, Holst, Debussy, Aram Khachaturyan, Barber, Elgar, Mahler, Prokofiev, Ravel, Tchaikovsky & some Beethoven.
Last edited by 24db on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

Old Johann Sebastian was the sequencer king of the 18th century - listen to the harpsichord solo in the first movement of the 5th Brandenburg concerto. He must have been a real rocker at heart... ;-)
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:Old Johann Sebastian was the sequencer king of the 18th century - listen to the harpsichord solo in the first movement of the 5th Brandenburg concerto. He must have been a real rocker at heart... ;-)
:) can we start another thread on Bach please?
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

24db wrote:Satie, Holst, Debussy, Aram Khachaturyan, Barber, Elgar, Prokofiev, Ravel, Tchaikovsky & some Beethoven.
Cool. My favorites are:

Elgar
J. S. Bach

Händel
Mozart
Buxtehude
Bruhns
Rameau
M.-A. Charpentier
Beethoven (String Quartets!)
Fauré
Villa-Lobos
Granados
Finzi
Fasch
Nielsen
Puccini
Purcell
Dittersdorf

+ so many more!
24db

Post by 24db »

71 dB wrote:
24db wrote:Satie, Holst, Debussy, Aram Khachaturyan, Barber, Elgar, Prokofiev, Ravel, Tchaikovsky & some Beethoven.
Cool. My favorites are:

Elgar
J. S. Bach

Händel
Mozart
Buxtehude
Bruhns
Rameau
M.-A. Charpentier
Beethoven (String Quartets!)
Fauré
Villa-Lobos
Granados
Finzi
Fasch
Nielsen
Puccini
Purcell
Dittersdorf

+ so many more!
respect :)
har

Post by har »

Right, I am away to dig out my Bach's greatest hits CD to listen to tomorrow. :wink: There's a book that goes with it as well, so I will suss out the story :D

Should really listen to more classical, never get the chance with all this cool TD , Namlook and Rock stuff the now 8)
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

har wrote:Right, I am away to dig out my Bach's greatest hits CD to listen to tomorrow. :wink: There's a book that goes with it as well, so I will suss out the story :D
The concept "greatest hits" is complete BS in classical music. It only means the best known ( =best selling) works, not necessorily the best works. For example Vivaldi's Four Seasons is very well known but just a collection of four Violin Concertos. Vivaldi wrote hundreds of Concertos, better and worse than Four Seasons. People can find their own favorites, if interested.
har

Post by har »

71 dB wrote:
har wrote:Right, I am away to dig out my Bach's greatest hits CD to listen to tomorrow. :wink: There's a book that goes with it as well, so I will suss out the story :D
The concept "greatest hits" is complete BS in classical music. It only means the best known ( =best selling) works, not necessorily the best works. For example Vivaldi's Four Seasons is very well known but just a collection of four Violin Concertos. Vivaldi wrote hundreds of Concertos, better and worse than Four Seasons. People can find their own favorites, if interested.
The "greatest hits" comment was tongue in cheek 71 :) Found the disc it has the Brandenburg concertos, Toccatta & Fugue and the no1 hit - Air on your G string .

Think I will listen to it on Sunday, along with my morning cuppie. Should be good :D
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I like all of the above mentioned

Plus

Copland
Bruckner
Stravinsky

All were rockers of their generation rebelling against conformity
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

Same here, but I would also include:

Johannes Brahms
Leos Janacek
Gustav Mahler
Robert Simpson
Dmitri Shostakovich
William Walton
Richard Wagner
epsilon75