Re - Recordings

Thomas Mc Nulty
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re - Recordings

Post by Thomas Mc Nulty »

With all the rerecordings we've had lately, and IMHO all excellent and fresh sounding, what about the band veering away from Tangerine Dream compositions and covering some other artist's classic albums? I would be surprised if any current or former member of the group hasn't heard a piece of music/song and thought "S**T I wish I'd written that" Two albums in particular I would love to hear TD cover are Mike Oldfield's Amarok and Vangelis's El Greco
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

:shock: I'd rather TD done their own stuff...I like the re recordings they've done but would rather have all new music.
har

Post by har »

Not that keen on TD recording other folks stuff tbh, they dont need to.

However that situ was ammended slightly for me when I heard Tomorrow never knows on Booster, which is astounding 8)

So maybe one or two of the early Floyd stuff :wink:
timer

Post by timer »

Ive liked all the re-recordings released so far. From Stratosfear 1995 to Cloudburst Flight 2008 these recordings show a different angle with modern sounds and production coming into play. Plus the variation on musicians from the original to the present .

Whatever TD bring out I'll still be buying it - roll on March :D
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

As long as there is a majority of new material i don't mind them re vamping some of the old stuff.

I would prefer it on a cupdisc & not on a new album like scrapyard & cloudburst 2008
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

TD doing more covers?

Not sure about that one, they've done some great ones in the past (Purple Haze, House of the Rising Sun, The Snowman, etc) so I suppose I wouldn't be too averse to the idea. I wouldn't want then to turn into a covers-band though.
tangmaster

Post by tangmaster »

Chris Monk wrote:TD doing more covers?

Not sure about that one, they've done some great ones in the past (Purple Haze, House of the Rising Sun, The Snowman, etc) so I suppose I wouldn't be too averse to the idea. I wouldn't want then to turn into a covers-band though.
Don't forger Eleanor Rigby
The way a world of dreams is going on!
24db

Post by 24db »

or Back in the U.S.S.R
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

here's a rerecording of BM speaking....rerecorded on C90 memorex:

'Zeit........etc

original music created in a vacuum by genius musicians will always crush pointless cover versions in my humble opinion.......'

over and out :D :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

Sorry to buck the trend here - all those cover versions have been awful -imho of course!

TD should do what they've always done best - exploring uncharted territories and let others follow in their wake.
Nero

Post by Nero »

Eleanor Rigby and Purple Haze were terrific covers in my opinion! A cover version from time to time that's no bad thing, but I think what we especially like from TD is their own music, their special compositional structures, sounds and atmospheres. TD isn't in need of doing cover versions at all.
24db

Post by 24db »

personally I think the covers are just done for a bit of fun, a smile and a wink back to the old days. Can't see it being a problem, unless they want to do it all the time, but to come to think of it there's enough covers bands out there as it is
har

Post by har »

Six By Nine wrote:

Sorry to buck the trend here - all those cover versions have been awful -imho of course!

TD should do what they've always done best - exploring uncharted territories and let others follow in their wake.
I absolutely hate that song House of the Rising Sun, it is shite, even the TD one :wink: This is just my opinion though :D

PS no keen on TD purple haze either, but as suggested above its just a bit of fun methinks. And Tomorrow never knows is class!
Nero

Post by Nero »

har wrote:
Six By Nine wrote:

I absolutely hate that song House of the Rising Sun, it is shite, even the TD one :wink: This is just my opinion though :D

PS no keen on TD purple haze either, but as suggested above its just a bit of fun methinks. And Tomorrow never knows is class!
Purple Haze is a classic and got a Grammy Nomination in 1993 - well deserved!
Quote: BEST ROCK INSTRUMENTAL PERFORMANCE "PURPLE HAZE" 1993
Hipgnosis

Re: Re - Recordings

Post by Hipgnosis »

Thomas Mc Nulty wrote: ... are Mike Oldfield's Amarok and Vangelis's El Greco
Ohh my word ... someone else has it!

I would like to add to this Riuychi Sakamoto's pieces in a couple of soundtracks, specially the ones "The Last Buddha" soundtrack. These are, sort of, similar to the vocal passages in El Greco ...

To my ear, the experimentations that TD/EF have done with words are ... sub-par ... the ones with poetry is not have as good as the poem in Vangelis' Direct (the one .. btw .. it's a beautyful morning ... ) which is much more "fresh", up to date, and "honest" and "direct". It speaks for our time better. It does not mean that Blake, Milton, Willie and others' work is not good enough ... it's great stuff ... but the music for it ... is still not "found".

I'm a writer, and have written many poems, and once asked Edgar if I could use his music (not TD's btw) for an issue of the Ygdrasil Journal of Poetic Arts, when I was attempting to put together another "live poetry issue" ... and in the end I ended up using Anthony Phillips and Gilly Smith (Gong), and it went fairly well. My own poetry was totally extempore and live, and (to me) an exploration of what the sound of the music made me feel at that moment. I still have a couple of poems dedicated to TD's music ... but doubt there is an interest for folks here, or TD to hear it ... I would prefer to "hear it" ... rather than "read it" ... since, like TD's music, this is about "feeling it" ... not quite thinking it.

But I have always thought, that the greatest composers of our time, and the most representative of the music time period and changes ... are Mike Oldfield, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream ... and then one can slowly add Jean Michel Jarre, and a couple of others here and there ... to my ear, this is "god's work" and the visions that several decades later we define many "composers" ... and in many ways, I find TD as busy/fast as Mozart, for example. I do think that R. Sakamoto also deserves a mention here, and not only because he has an Oscar in his closet ... he has created some magnificnet works as well.

My greatest desire in life (I'm 58 now) is to one day see Vangelis and/or Mike Oldfield and/or Jean Michel Jarre in concert ... I've been lucky ... I have seen TD at the Santa Monica Civic (1st American Tour), Greek Theater (where the picture of the trees on fire was taken with Lazerium providing the fireworks), then a third time in Portland, Or in 86 or 87 ... and I remember those 3 fondly ... and a lot of this was because I can close my eyes and flow with the music ... and it has always been a special music ...

The other one that I would love to see, also a very interesting composer in my experiential time/mind is Klaus Schulze ... but I doubt that these giants are even capable of sitting together and pat each other in the back ... beautiful job you all have done ... and shared a common hug. This is a mechanical, maniacal and really non-loving era, and even folks like TD are considered old fashioned already ...

You can see Keyboard Magazine and the like ... they are not even capable of seeing the history of the synthesizer and how important these people were in helping develop anything that is now digital and considered ... not good and old school ... and worst of all ... "analog" ... they would never even consider Edgar a good keyboard player ... and probably neither are these other folks ... Herbie and Keith take the stage ... screw the others!