Unreleased Soundtracks

Would you commit to buying these soundtracks even if they had to be modified to get them released like The Keep ?

yes
90%
no
10%

Total votes: 40

rotwang
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by rotwang »

hansx wrote:if the soundtrack is something we don't have, i'll buy everything. :D
You said it, Hansx. I would love to have all of the unreleased TD soundtracks available -- the Soldier, Strange Behavior, The Keep, all of it.

As for buying anything with the Tangerine Dream name, the beauty supply store where my daughter works has a shampoo called "Tangerine Dreams." Think I'll have to give that one a try. :wink: :D
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

rotwang wrote:
hansx wrote:if the soundtrack is something we don't have, i'll buy everything. :D
You said it, Hansx. I would love to have all of the unreleased TD soundtracks available -- the Soldier, Strange Behavior, The Keep, all of it.

As for buying anything with the Tangerine Dream name, the beauty supply store where my daughter works has a shampoo called "Tangerine Dreams." Think I'll have to give that one a try. :wink: :D
I think we are all like this i'm going to have to move if i get anymore discs :shock:
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

Am I the first to cast my vote for Mandala? We even got samples in the jukebox a while ago, so the chances for that one should be pretty good actually.
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

Chris Monk wrote:Put the name Tangerine Dream on it and I'll want to buy it.

....don't tell Edgar will you. :wink:
I often get the impression that he is very well aware of this tendency.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

I would buy it for the music ... I couldn't give a cahoot about the majority of these films ... when in most cases (and Edgar has said so) the way the music was used was ... stupid, silly ... and typical of most Hollywood/Bollywood fanfare ...

What is strange ... specially with Werner Herzog doing his Wagnerian impressions on film ... that Edgar appears to not have done much with someone like him ... who would be more willing to do something with the music that is more akin to making the film shine even more ... give it a break ... something like AGUIRRE would probably not be as good without the music ... I've tried to watch that film without the music ... and the funny thing is that the music "sticks" ... it's too late ... you hear the wails of the christian fathers trying to make their way through the jungles of the world into ... neverland. Even conceptually, the cinematography lived up to it ... and I don't think that TD has ever had that opportunity, not even Chris with Babylon 5 ... which had some nice bits here and there, but for the most part the direction of the acting/scenery with the music was totally incidental and ... not important at all. I can not tell you of a scene that stood out where the music drove it ... in any movie that TD music has been on ...

On the other hand, I'm not sure that Edgar, or any other TD member past preset or future ... have the time to be able to devote to a soundtrack and nurture a film ... in that sense the chances of a film script improving because of the music, or the music developing even further up ... just diminished. While I love what Edgar does, somehow I don't see him having enough patience to sit through these things ... and I really don't blame him ... film is the least "open minded" of all the arts out there ... and few film makers "experiment ... as Godard used to ... let's say.

At this point in time, I think that Edgar probably feels ... there's no need for it ... he would probably more interested if the San Luis Obispo Symphony did Stratosfear and Phaedra ... and an evening of TD ... than he would on some Joe or other saying they want to make a film ...
pb2rdf

Post by pb2rdf »

Just put my feet back to ground .......

Which unreleased soundtracks are known ??
Has someone a list, and maybe some sound to it.

My condition for buying, I have to like the music, unless it's from TD. ;-)
I don't buy unconditional.

grtz, Peter

PS. just for the record :
At this moment I can listen to over 70 albums of TD, this is at least 100hrs of music. Count 8hrs to listen/day, so you need a forthnight to listen the albums once. :idea:
Mars

Post by Mars »

Forbidden and Brandmale :-)
TangFanIRL

Post by TangFanIRL »

Beaubourg wrote:Not sure if The Solder track from his album can be considered a sketch considering a side-by-side comparison to the track in the film itself is an exact match.

Perhaps Conrad could look into this... (and while he's at it, find out if there's more out there to be released).
Just saw this. I can try...
GAZZ

Post by GAZZ »

the two that i would like to see relaesed properly would be forbidden and street hawk :roll: :roll: gazz collins TD yorkshire division
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Are you all trying to financially cripple me???

The thing with some of TD's unreleased soundtrack work is that some of it isn't of great quality musically. Much of it is fairly routine, background, filler music, because in terms of its place in the film, that's all it was designed to do. Much of it doesn't stand up as good music in its own right. But TD were doing so much music in this period that there's no wonder this happened. Remember, the workload and diluting of quality was one of the reasons Johanens decided to leave.

In the case of Sorcerer, I've a feeling that a lot of the music on the mythical 90 minute tape was either extended versions of tracks that ended up on the album, or pieces that eventually appeared in different versions on other studio albums of that era (as is often the case), or perhaps wasn't good enough to make the OST. But maybe, just maybe, there are some long-forgotten gems in Mr Friedkin's cupboard. I wonder where that tape is now?
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

exit81 wrote:Are you all trying to financially cripple me???

The thing with some of TD's unreleased soundtrack work is that some of it isn't of great quality musically. Much of it is fairly routine, background, filler music, because in terms of its place in the film, that's all it was designed to do. Much of it doesn't stand up as good music in its own right. But TD were doing so much music in this period that there's no wonder this happened. Remember, the workload and diluting of quality was one of the reasons Johanens decided to leave.

In the case of Sorcerer, I've a feeling that a lot of the music on the mythical 90 minute tape was either extended versions of tracks that ended up on the album, or pieces that eventually appeared in different versions on other studio albums of that era (as is often the case), or perhaps wasn't good enough to make the OST. But maybe, just maybe, there are some long-forgotten gems in Mr Friedkin's cupboard. I wonder where that tape is now?
Forbidden was an excellent soundtrack in it's own right this would make an excellent release along with Mandala
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Erik

Post by Erik »

pb2rdf wrote: Which unreleased soundtracks are known ??
here's what i know of:

1968 - Der Meteor (not to be confused with the "Der Meteor" from the 90's)
1969 - Auf Scheißer schießt man nicht
1969 - Never shoot the bathroom man
1971 - Vampira
1972 - Geradeaus bis zum Morgen
1973 - Ein für allemal
1978 - Kneuss
1979 - Jahreszeiten der Liebe
1979 - certain episodes of Das verbotene Spiel
1980 - Daniel
1981 - Strange Behavior
... aka Dead Kids
... aka Human Experiments
... aka Small Town Massacre
1982 - Solomon's Nightmare: A Study in Gray
1982 - The Soldier
... aka Codename: The Soldier
1982 - Rainer Werner Fassbinder - Letzte Arbeiten
1983 - Brandmale
1983 - Spasms
... aka Death Bite
1984 - Forbidden
1985 - Street Hawk
1985 - Vision Quest
...aka Crazy For You
1985 - Fright Night
1985 - Red Heat
1986 - City of Shadows
... aka Nightmare City
1986 - Legend unreleased tracks
- Jack Versus Darkness
- Once Long Ago
- Apocalypse
- Forgiveness
- The Fairy Weapons
- Legend Leftover
1987 - Canyon Dreams unreleased tracks
- Sunrise on an Eagle's Flight
- A Matter of Time (Colorado Mix)
- Purple Nightfall (Extended)
- Shadow Flyer (Extended)
- A Wild Shore
- Sunset's Power
1987 - sound cues for Shy People
1987 - City of Shadows
1987 - Tonight's the Night
... aka The Game of Love
1989 - Red Nights
1990 - Mandala (can be heard on the TD rarities hour broadcast)
1990 - Rainbow Drive
1982 - 1991 - certain episodes of Tatort contained unreleased music
1991 - Metropole Berlin
1993 - The Switch
1996 - Memphis PD: War on the Streets

unknown info:
- Heisser Schnee(?)
- Mechanic Thunder(?)
- Good Morning Manhatten
- Strange Days
- Volcano Dancing
- Vegetable People(?)
1970 - Tribes
1978 - Game Over
1980 - Under Lock and Key
1981 - Im Regan Nacht Amerika
1982 - Tempo
1991 - Highway to Hell

i'd like to throw in some praise for Mandala. i discovered it not too long ago, and that is some quality music. the first track is some of the best soundtrack work i've heard from them since Vampira.
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Jon

Post by Jon »

Erik wrote:
pb2rdf wrote: Which unreleased soundtracks are known ??
here's what i know of:

1968 - Der Meteor (not to be confused with the "Der Meteor" from the 90's)
1969 - Auf Scheißer schießt man nicht
1969 - Never shoot the bathroom man
1971 - Vampira
1972 - Geradeaus bis zum Morgen
1973 - Ein für allemal
1978 - Kneuss
1979 - Jahreszeiten der Liebe
1979 - certain episodes of Das verbotene Spiel
1980 - Daniel
1981 - Strange Behavior
... aka Dead Kids
... aka Human Experiments
... aka Small Town Massacre
1982 - Solomon's Nightmare: A Study in Gray
1982 - The Soldier
... aka Codename: The Soldier
1982 - Rainer Werner Fassbinder - Letzte Arbeiten
1983 - Brandmale
1983 - Spasms
... aka Death Bite
1984 - Forbidden
1985 - Street Hawk
1985 - Vision Quest
...aka Crazy For You
1985 - Fright Night
1985 - Red Heat
1986 - City of Shadows
... aka Nightmare City
1986 - Legend unreleased tracks
- Jack Versus Darkness
- Once Long Ago
- Apocalypse
- Forgiveness
- The Fairy Weapons
- Legend Leftover
1987 - Canyon Dreams unreleased tracks
- Sunrise on an Eagle's Flight
- A Matter of Time (Colorado Mix)
- Purple Nightfall (Extended)
- Shadow Flyer (Extended)
- A Wild Shore
- Sunset's Power
1987 - sound cues for Shy People
1987 - City of Shadows
1987 - Tonight's the Night
... aka The Game of Love
1989 - Red Nights
1990 - Mandala (can be heard on the TD rarities hour broadcast)
1990 - Rainbow Drive
1982 - 1991 - certain episodes of Tatort contained unreleased music
1991 - Metropole Berlin
1993 - The Switch
1996 - Memphis PD: War on the Streets

unknown info:
- Heisser Schnee(?)
- Mechanic Thunder(?)
- Good Morning Manhatten
- Strange Days
- Volcano Dancing
- Vegetable People(?)
1970 - Tribes
1978 - Game Over
1980 - Under Lock and Key
1981 - Im Regan Nacht Amerika
1982 - Tempo
1991 - Highway to Hell

i'd like to throw in some praise for Mandala. i discovered it not too long ago, and that is some quality music. the first track is some of the best soundtrack work i've heard from them since Vampira.
I have the Dead Kids VHS. Only seen it once.

The Soldier may not be released, but there are no original music in it, right?

I also have the Vision Quest and City Of Shadows VHS-tapes. Very little music in VQ, but I guess they wrote more music for the film that didn't get used. City Of Shadows could make a nice sountrack-release though.

I don't think TD had anything to do with Fright Night, which is scored by Brad Fiedel.

I saw Red Heat, some nice themes there.

I have bootlegs from Rainbow Drive and The Switch, nice scores, especially RD.

I don't think TD wrote anything for Highway To Hell and Memphis PD, it was old material.
Erik

Post by Erik »

yes, a lot of info was unknown to me. unless TD was uncredited for something, you are definitely right about Fright Night. and the soldier i wasn't sure about. i knew it was unreleased, but i was thinking there was original material. could easily be my mistake. thanks for the info on Highway To Hell and Memphis PD

you can find much more Vision Quest music than what appeared i the film. some surprisingly weak music from what i remember. i do recall a track from it called "Cyberspace". don't know if that title is official or not, but it's pretty nice.

the Rainbow Drive music really sticks out! i like the suite of that score. same with Kneuss. i was kinda wanting a suite for Forbidden actually, i think those fan made mixes work well. might make my own sometime. i made a 15 minute mix of Streethawk music and i quite like it

and wow, i just realised i've heard music from 23 of these! 25 if you count the Canyon Dreams and Legend extras. i've heard more unreleased than officially released scores of theirs. for official i've only heard Legend, Wavelength, Sorcerer, Canyon Dreams, Risky business, Thief (i didn't realise i liked this soundtrack until i noticed the tracklist on it), and Oasis (first OST i heard by TD). i've heard that The Keep and Firestarter are a great next step. Flashpoint too i'd assume. their soundtracks are wonderful to explore
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Thomas Mc Nulty

Post by Thomas Mc Nulty »

Would like to hear Shy People, Flashpoint and (especially) Near Dark again on CD. Bought them on cassette when they were first released, but fell by the wayside when I started buying CDs. While I liked the music, they also hold a lot of sentimental memories of mid to late eighties. Perhaps a download is available, or I could talk nicely to someone at the Lowry.......