Best TD cd pressings/versions

grendel
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Best TD cd pressings/versions

Post by grendel »

Hi, I just have "discoverd" the wonderful music that is Tangerine Dream. As a cd collector, I would like to ask the audiophiles on this forum which TD cd releases are the ones to get. I was planning on grabbing the new japanese Phaedra boxset to get things started. What about the other albums? Please help!
timer

Post by timer »

Welcome to the Forum Grendel ! 8) always good to have new posters here.

As for suggestions : I think the Japanese box sets are a little pricey at the moment , not that Ive heard the quality !.

Recommending TD to others is always a task. And it may help to sya what you have already heard and liked / disliked 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

I have the first 4 Japanese re-issues (Electronic Meditation thru to Zeit) and although the packaging is fantastic the actual differences in sound quality are practically nil over the much cheaper Virgin and Sanctuary re-issues.
If you can get the Japanese discs cheap then, yes go for it, but otherwise I'd save your money and invest in a turntable and some good vintage vinyl
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

timer wrote:Welcome to the Forum Grendel ! 8) always good to have new posters here.

As for suggestions : I think the Japanese box sets are a little pricey at the moment , not that Ive heard the quality !.

Recommending TD to others is always a task. And it may help to sya what you have already heard and liked / disliked 8)
Very good advice Tim. TD's music convers such a broad selection of styles it's probably a good idea to know what style most appeals.
jacob

Post by jacob »

Grendel, you should get OCEAN WAVES COLLECTION and TANGINES SCALES. They sound really good, and is a good introduction to the newer stuff.
grendel

Post by grendel »

Thanx guys for the help.
Just let me explain a little more. When I listened to Phaedra I was blown away. You know, I got the feeling that this is what I always wanted to hear, but didn't know that it excisted. There is a West Germany cd pressing of the album, a japanese pressing, and a definitive edition pressing. Maybe there are more but these are the ones I could find browsing the net. Since I am a cd collector, I wanted to know which pressing is the best to get in your opinions.

Hope this helps a little bit.

And thanx Jacob for pointing these out to me.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

A warm welcome to the forum Grendel,hope you enjoy it here :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

Welcome to the forum Grendel. My first TD album experience was the soundtrack "Thief". I've always liked Pink Floyd, ELP, Yes, etc. Anything with keyboards or electronics/synth. After hearing Thief, I immediatley went out and purchased the first album I saw in the record store, "Ricochet", my favorite to this day. Phaedra, Rubycon, etc. followed. Too many to name. I would say it would be safe to say that if you enjoyed Phaedra, Ricochet and Rubycon would be your next choice. Thats for their older albums. Now for their newer albums, check out the download section for some mp3 excerpts. Hope this helps. :) :) :)

Maybe we'll see you at the Rocking out the Bats concert in Berlin. Seeing TD live is an experience you wont forget. Take care and welcome.
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
grendel

Post by grendel »

WOW, thanx for the warm welcome, guys! Next to TD, I am also a big fan of Pink Floyd and Camel, so tdream4ever, I definately need to check out the Thief soundtrack album. Thanx for pointing that one out to me. I also have my eyes on the Sorcerer soundtrack album, which I read great reviews of.
Joining this forum was an awesome thing to do, judging by the help I get on my first post. I am very proud to be a member already.
24db

Post by 24db »

I'd recommend Logos, just for the shear Power of TD on that tour, followed by Ricochet and Force Majeure...I don't think you could go wrong with any one of them. Welcome to the forum
timer

Post by timer »

Id second Andy's choices ! on the Virgin 'Definative Version' Series.

From your liking of Phaedra, id put forward Rubycon , Ricochet & Encore as possibilitus as well. 8)

But do , as some one else has stated , take a listen to the music from the last couple of years absolutely fabulous IMO ! 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:Id second Andy's choices ! on the Virgin 'Definative Version' Series.

From your liking of Phaedra, id put forward Rubycon , Ricochet & Encore as possibilitus as well. 8)

But do , as some one else has stated , take a listen to the music from the last couple of years absolutely fabulous IMO ! 8)
couldn't go wrong with the Booster I compilation, but of course if it wasn't your container of brown beverage then you've saved yourself some money. Simple economics...can I have my £653,000 a year pension now? ;)