Mars Polaris review

jacob

Post by jacob »

Glenn wrote:
Actually, what they did do was stop thinking in electronic terms, which is a requirement when making electronic music because electronic music is not simply pop music minus lyrics.

I'm more with what Edgar said in an interview:
It is not electronic music, just because we use instruments, which in the broadest sense, work electronically.

I just can't share the "EM for the sake of EM" view. Why must they live up to some people's definition of that genre? TD's has proved to be much more than that, during the last 41½ years.
24db

Post by 24db »

jacob wrote:Glenn wrote:
Actually, what they did do was stop thinking in electronic terms, which is a requirement when making electronic music because electronic music is not simply pop music minus lyrics.

It is not electronic music, just because we use instruments, which in the broadest sense, work electronically.

I just can't share the "EM for the sake of EM" view. Why must they live up to some people's definition of that genre? TD's has proved to be much more than that, during the last 41½ years.
couldn't agree more, where do these daft rules come from?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:

From daft dictators :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

jacob wrote:I just can't share the "EM for the sake of EM" view. Why must they live up to some people's definition of that genre? TD's has proved to be much more than that, during the last 41½ years.
Very well said JP :idea: :)
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:

D1ckh3ads more like
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I always classified TD as Electronic but some albums aren't like Turn of the Tides and 220 volt which are more rock than em... :roll:
TheMan

Re: Mars Polaris review

Post by TheMan »

Little late with his review isn't he?

"...electronic music is not simply pop music minus lyrics."

He got that part spot on.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:

Couldn't agree more. TD ought to continue to do what TD do, which is to ignore what people tell them to do and just do what they want to do.

....sorry, a lot of do's there but you get my drift.
24db

Post by 24db »

TheMan wrote:

You're right RM...however

POP MUSIC (care of Wiki)

The standard format of pop music is the song, customarily less than five minutes in duration (only 3 of the tracks are shorter than 5 minutes on MP), with instrumentation that can range from an orchestra to a lone singer. Pop songs are generally marked by a consistent and noticeable rhythmic element (check....one for Glen...but then again nearly every TD record has some rhythmic element so perhaps Wiki's terms are too generic?), a mainstream style and traditional structure (well, call it 50:50...mainstream? TD are hardly top 20). Common variants are the verse-chorus form and the thirty-two-bar form (Minus...Glen looses a point, although and being generous I can see what he's getting at), with a focus on melodies and catchy hooks , and a chorus that contrasts melodically, rhythmically and harmonically with the verse. Lyrics in pop music are frequently about love (Glen must a must be thinking of something else, however he does make the point in his statement), relationships and life experiences (don't think so...Glen's record version must be different to mine ;)). The primary objectives of the pop music genre are audience enjoyment and commercial success (huh? have TD ever thought about this?).

who's keeping score? I can't be bothered :D

So sadly Glen aint ticking all the boxes, and IMHO you'd be s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g it calling MP pop music.

Only ever liked about 2 or 3 tracks off MP myself, but IMHO those tracks are outstanding
Last edited by 24db on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Chris Monk wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote: couldn't agree more, where do these daft rules come from?
Couldn't agree more. TD ought to continue to do what TD do, which is to ignore what people tell them to do and just do what they want to do.

....sorry, a lot of do's there but you get my drift.
It's okay Chris we don't think you're talking a load of do do :shock:

sorry couldn't help myself :oops:
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

24db wrote:
TheMan wrote:

You're right RM...however

POP MUSIC (care of Wiki)

The standard format of pop music is the song, customarily less than five minutes in duration (only 3 of the tracks are shorter than 5 minutes on MP), with instrumentation that can range from an orchestra to a lone singer. Pop songs are generally marked by a consistent and noticeable rhythmic element (check....one for Glen...but then again nearly every TD record has some rhythmic element so perhaps Wiki's terms are too generic?), a mainstream style and traditional structure (well, call it 50:50...mainstream? TD are hardly top 20). Common variants are the verse-chorus form and the thirty-two-bar form (Minus...Glen looses a point, although and being generous I can see what he's getting at), with a focus on melodies and catchy hooks , and a chorus that contrasts melodically, rhythmically and harmonically with the verse. Lyrics in pop music are frequently about love (Glen must a must be thinking of something else, however he does make the point in his statement), relationships and life experiences (don't think so...Glen's record version must be different to mine ;)). The primary objectives of the pop music genre are audience enjoyment and commercial success (huh? have TD ever thought about this?).

who's keeping score? I can't be bothered :D

So sadly Glen aint ticking all the boxes, and IMHO you'd be s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g it calling MP pop music.

Only ever liked about 2 or 3 tracks off MP myself, but IMHO those tracks are outstanding
MP is certainly not pop music. It is outstanding music.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

A mate of mine who doesn't like hardly any of the ''new'' TD loves Mars Polaris..as I do. Pop music??? no, no, no,.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

"Electronic music" is just a constructed, meaningless word. At least nowadays. Up to the invention of the sampler in the early 80s it was probably ok to call music coming out of electronic tone generators/synthesizers "electronic music". However, even then it described just a way of generating tones - by electronic means - but not a style of music. There is no "classic, "pure" EM style, because a way of generating tones is not a musical style...

It is not impossible to emulate the typical sound of interwoven sequencer patterns (what the Mars Polaris reviewer probably calls "EM") with acoustic instruments. Steve Reich does it all the time ("Music for 18 Musicians", for example), or listen to the acoustic version of Manuel Göttsching's "E2-E4". So what would that be then...? "Acoustic EM"? It all makes no sense, because the word "electronic" in "electronic music" makes no sense.

Regarding TD, I don't care what instruments they use as long as it sounds cool and new. Can't wait for the TD symphony for 19 rubber bands and two banjos. 8)
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I've heard some people refer to the Cocteau Twins as electronic music... not a keyboard in sight. :roll:
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!