Too much money?

bergen-dreamer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Too much money?

Post by bergen-dreamer »

For those of you who have too much money Groove has got a bunch of new TD Japan imports (mini-LP cover) available at £ 30.99 each :shock: Not for me (at least for the moment) I'm afraid :(
"The streets are full of admirable craftsmen, but so few practical dreamers" - Man Rey
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

If they offered Japan pressings on 180g HQ vinyl, transferred from the original master tapes, that'd be interesting at that price, but the same CDs in just nice packaging, no ....
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

Michael66 wrote:If they offered Japan pressings on 180g HQ vinyl, transferred from the original master tapes, that'd be interesting at that price, but the same CDs in just nice packaging, no ....
Oh yes :!: - that would be a completely different matter :)
"The streets are full of admirable craftsmen, but so few practical dreamers" - Man Rey
hansx

Post by hansx »

bergen-dreamer wrote:
Michael66 wrote:If they offered Japan pressings on 180g HQ vinyl, transferred from the original master tapes, that'd be interesting at that price, but the same CDs in just nice packaging, no ....
But what should I do with vinyl. I even don' t have a player anymore. But remastered cd's with extra's should of course be bought. Don't understand why this hasn't been done yet. Probably the rights?
24db

Post by 24db »

hansx wrote:
bergen-dreamer wrote:
But what should I do with vinyl. I even don' t have a player anymore. But remastered cd's with extra's should of course be bought. Don't understand why this hasn't been done yet. Probably the rights?
anybody got Chris Franke's home number? ;)
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

hansx wrote:But what should I do with vinyl. I even don' t have a player anymore. But remastered cd's with extra's should of course be bought. Don't understand why this hasn't been done yet. Probably the rights?
So far I haven't encountered a remastered CD that actually sounded better, and not only louder than the non-remastered CD. I'm pretty much disillusioned about the whole "remaster" marketing scheme. Not talking about TD specifically, but also not excluding them. Read on here, here or here if you're interested in what is being done to music in CD mastering/remastering nowadays.

Regarding vinyl and TD, for example so far I haven't encountered a version of Alpha Centauri on CD that sounds as good as the original OHR or Virgin LPs. If there is one, or if there could be one, I'd be happy to buy it.
24db

Post by 24db »

everyone does it (Namlook fans are having a moan about it), however (and I'm a class of one here) to just worry about sound quality over content is a big big mistake...it's a first world problem, 4/5ths of the rest of the world just react to music directly and emotionally...sound quality is a luxury. It's an abstract concept that in a small way holds us back. It's like the old story of the Hi-Fi buff who just listens to the soundquality of his Hi-Fi and stops hearing music.

Having said that...remasters are mainly a waste of time...I know I bought them! :)

Vinyl is a flawed system as well, sorry I took my rose tinted glasses off!
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

24db wrote:Vinyl is a flawed system as well, sorry I took my rose tinted glasses off!
Sure it's flawed, vinyl crackles and has surface noises - but ohh the richness of sound of a well-manufactured and mastered vinyl record! :-)
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:
24db wrote:Vinyl is a flawed system as well, sorry I took my rose tinted glasses off!
Sure it's flawed, vinyl crackles and has surface noises - but ohh the richness of sound of a well-manufactured and mastered vinyl record! :-)
and yet you get some good as well as bad vinyl remastering, but we like to overlook it and just enjoy the music ;)
24db

Re: Too much money?

Post by 24db »

bergen-dreamer wrote:For those of you who have too much money Groove has got a bunch of new TD Japan imports (mini-LP cover) available at £ 30.99 each :shock: Not for me (at least for the moment) I'm afraid :(
All groove's stuff is massively overpriced anyway (well, to be fair to them...it sometimes is), so perhaps they're doing us a favour by putting us off it ;)