The Virgin Defintiive editions

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

The Virgin Defintiive editions

Post by 24db »

I found Martin K's comments about these today, interesting that TD weren't involved at all with the remastering of the discs, it being farmed out to a third party. No wonder the results weren't always the best.
epsilon75

Re: The Virgin Defintiive editions

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:I found Martin K's comments about these today, interesting that TD weren't involved at all with the remastering of the discs, it being farmed out to a third party. No wonder the results weren't always the best.
They have served me well but there are undoubted mistakes within the series.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I've got a few of them and they're OK. Could have been a whole lot better though. The best you can say about them is that they're workman-like. There's quite a few glaring mistakes which is unforgivable really. Shame they weren't given the loving care they deserve.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:I've got a few of them and they're OK. Could have been a whole lot better though. The best you can say about them is that they're workman-like. There's quite a few glaring mistakes which is unforgivable really. Shame they weren't given the loving care they deserve.
the sleeve typos are unbelievable...the cheapest thing...as in 'it would cost nothing' would be to get any TD fan to proof read them for glaring mistakes first.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:I've got a few of them and they're OK. Could have been a whole lot better though. The best you can say about them is that they're workman-like. There's quite a few glaring mistakes which is unforgivable really. Shame they weren't given the loving care they deserve.
the sleeve typos are unbelievable...the cheapest thing...as in 'it would cost nothing' would be to get any TD fan to proof read them for glaring mistakes first.
They are literally unbelievable. They would have made a better job of it if they'd just copied the data off of the original releases. I don't know if I've seen a worse set of typos.

....and I used to read The Grauniad.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

The 70-80 Box Set also had mistakes that could have been corrected if proof read (e.g. Tangram Part 1 instead of Tangram Set 1). A minor point perhaps, but one that illustrates the difference in care.

And why was Johannes listed only as a 'Studio Guest' for Tangram on the Box Set?
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

I browsed through the TD section in HMV, Oxford Street, London last week and noticed that the Virgin 'Definitive Editions' still have all the printing errors 15 years after release. Unbelievable! They either pressed an incredibly huge number, sales have been low or they've re-printed them without correcting the errors. Anyone know which?
24db

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:I browsed through the TD section in HMV, Oxford Street, London last week and noticed that the Virgin 'Definitive Editions' still have all the printing errors 15 years after release. Unbelievable! They either pressed an incredibly huge number, sales have been low or they've re-printed them without correcting the errors. Anyone know which?
It just underlines the sad decline of Virgin Records over the last 10 or 20 years, all about maximising the profit, but no interest in marketing anything.

No idea about the number pressed...but I'd imagine it was fairly big* (certainly going by the masses of discs Fopp were offering in the stores a few years back. Judging by their racks the Virgin (and TDI) discs were still selling).

*shame the advertsing for the DE's was so ****-poor, with VERY few adverts (I can only remember them begining mentioned in SOS, Future pish ;)...er Future Music and one article in NME?), infact unless you were actively looking for them you'd have no idea they'd be re-issued at all. Woeful.

Talking of re-issues I see that the Dream Sequence compilation is being re-released in July. How many issues is that now? 4?
Last edited by 24db on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

It's ridiculous how many mistakes there are in the Virgin Years (definitive editions).

It would be lovely if they could have proper booklets, with info on each album (i.e the recording and background), images from the recording sessions and era, etc), so it could do the albums justice. But I really doubt that would happen.

At least Sanctuary put (more) effort into their releases, with info and photos about the albums.
24db

Post by 24db »

btw before we all get too h.ot under collar about typos, TD's very first disc has some terrible ones! Rolf...what were you thinking of?
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:It's ridiculous how many mistakes there are in the Virgin Years (definitive editions).

It would be lovely if they could have proper booklets, with info on each album (i.e the recording and background), images from the recording sessions and era, etc), so it could do the albums justice. But I really doubt that would happen.

At least Sanctuary put (more) effort into their releases, with info and photos about the albums.
Virgin Records: "Were's the profit"?
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:
SequenceC wrote:It's ridiculous how many mistakes there are in the Virgin Years (definitive editions).

Virgin Records: "Were's the profit"?
They'd probably see it a financial burden :( Even though a few pages dedicated to the album would really help. With the exception of one page on instruments, recording date and location, the booklets are all nearly as good, with an extremely brief summary on TD's history...

I guess it could be worse, like some of my Kraftwerk albums (Capitol Records), all there is the front cover, and some generic note about CDs. It's pathetic...
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I'm still waiting on the Virgin 'reissues' as promised for the 40th Anniversary.
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:I'm still waiting on the Virgin 'reissues' as promised for the 40th Anniversary.
Have you turned blue yet?
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:btw before we all get too h.ot under collar about typos, TD's very first disc has some terrible ones! Rolf...what were you thinking of?
Like 'Claus Schultze' on EM?