The Virgin Defintiive editions

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

Of course the ironic bit is that Aqua and Ages are still being produced.
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

24db wrote:Of course the ironic bit is that Aqua and Ages are still being produced.
Really ? But I've never seen "Ages" complete like the double LP.... NOt only the CD was rare here but they also cut one track.
I really enjoy that record and I wish I could have the comlete album with a goo dsound?. Once more, I had to buy a second-hand LP of this... it was already rare when I started searchnig for Edgar's solo albums. And it had some scratching noises.
I bought "Aqua" many years ago. Some tape hiss... It would need a serious remaster, but I doubt this will ever happen. It is maybe better than my poor second-hand LP full of scratching noises, yet.
Unfortunately, I am not to happy with what Edgar does with his own versions of his albums, although I don't know what he's done on "Epsilon"...
I don't mind that he does other versions but I want to have at least the original recordings. He could add the modified versions as a bonus on the same CD !
I bought his reworked version of "Pinnacles" and I was appalled by the eidting of the title track.. Not only it's scandalous to have only 29 mn of music for that price but in my opinion, he cut the best part !
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

To add a different opinion:

- I can only compare Tangram with the original CD but I think the sound has significantly improved. The other "definitive" cds all sound good to me as well, the Sony SBM process usually produced good results

- the numerous mistakes are embarassing, of course, but isn't that somewhat in line with the screw-ups on the later releases on the band's own label? ;)
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

there was a rumour going round that Peter Bauman's solo stuff was going to be reissued. I got the Phase By Phase cd which covers the best bits but would be nice to have some reissues of the full albums. :idea:
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

multivit72 wrote:To add a different opinion:

- the numerous mistakes are embarassing, of course, but isn't that somewhat in line with the screw-ups on the later releases on the band's own label? ;)
Brutal.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Just listened to "Rubycon", sounds as awesome as ever :D
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

epsilon75 wrote:Just listened to "Rubycon", sounds as awesome as ever :D
A timeless album CJ...I never tire of it. 8)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

sparrow wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:Just listened to "Rubycon", sounds as awesome as ever :D
A timeless album CJ...I never tire of it. 8)
Nothing apart from EIMP has ever touched me quite like this album John,and probably never will. :)
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I think Theif is the only one I have from these versions.
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

Is it a given that all the definitive editions sound better than the originals?

I have remasters for a few titles and wonder if I should replace ALL of my originals.
24db

Post by 24db »

Beaubourg wrote:Is it a given that all the definitive editions sound better than the originals?

I have remasters for a few titles and wonder if I should replace ALL of my originals.
Encore (the DE version) sounds worse
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

Beaubourg wrote:Is it a given that all the definitive editions sound better than the originals?

I don't know which ones you have already as remasters but for me, as regards the Virgin years, it's much better on the Definitive Editions, definitely, and I have them all.
I think it's especially obvious on Rubycon and Stratosfear.
After I heard how bad the CD's of those two sounded anyway, I think I stopped buying the old albums on CD. I preferred my LP's, even with some surface noise.

As for Encore well, I am not sure I owned the original CD... I had the LP, it was copied on a good tape, and I treasured it.
What do you reproach to the remaster ?

I am not sure 100% as for certain releases out of the Virgin years yet.
As I said somewhere else, I had the double CD of Zeit and the remaster sounds way better to me, it has got much less hiss, and a bit more depth. They didn't do any miracle yet....
I do know that when they remove some tape hiss, sometimes, we lose some other frequencies, that were on the original... Then, it is a matter of taste. I can't stand the noise of a tape hiss on a CD, by the way.
For instance, I know Sanctuary/Castle released several versions, I think some dated back to 96, some a bit later... the back looks slightly different but maybe it's the same remasters.
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

Thank you both for the info.

Current DE's owned are White Eagle, Thief, Hyperborea and Logos.
Looks like I'll hang onto my original Encore and buy the remasters of Rubycon and Stratosfear, to start.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I bought he original Emcore CD a few weeks ago and it is much better than the so called remaster. I have an original Tangram & remasterd version and they sound exactly the same..anyone else notice this?
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

sparrow wrote:I bought he original Emcore CD a few weeks ago and it is much better than the so called remaster. I have an original Tangram & remasterd version and they sound exactly the same..anyone else notice this?
Ah, you make me feel like buying the original CD of Encore....
As for "Tangram"... that seems strange.... The SBM gives more depth. For me, it seemed obvious each time I bought a remaster with that system... I have some Journey albums with that too, and I could compare with the older versions in some cases.
Who knows ? They still sell some editions featuring those awful squared sleeves with the name and title around while the DE have existed for at least 14 years now ! Who knows if they didn't pressed more CD's with the new master but old CD sleeve ?! :shock: