The Virgin Defintiive editions

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by bigmoog »

Vinyl rules

you know me right

:P
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I will check the original and DE editions of Encore & Tangram again tomorrow.. Not done it for a while :arrow:
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

bigmoog wrote:Vinyl rules

you know me right

For once Jok..I know you ARE right. :wink: :D :lol:
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

sparrow wrote:

you know me right

how many bleeding forums do ye post on John? :P :P :twisted:
...The wise.....are silent.....
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

bigmoog wrote:
sparrow wrote:

you know me right

how many bleeding forums do ye post on John? :P :P :twisted:
6 Jok only 6.
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

I have never been too happy with the Definitive Edition - that goes both to the quality of sound and not to mention the liner notes and typos :arrow:

I will ALWAYS stick to the original LPs :P

NP: Madrigal Meridian - Virgin LP :D
"The streets are full of admirable craftsmen, but so few practical dreamers" - Man Rey
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

bergen-dreamer wrote:I have never been too happy with the Definitive Edition - that goes both to the quality of sound and not to mention the liner notes and typos :arrow:

Those inner booklets are awful.. some nice new editions with enhanced booklets on every album would be most welcome. Certainly got no complaints about the music on the discs :D :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
bergen-dreamer wrote:I have never been too happy with the Definitive Edition - that goes both to the quality of sound and not to mention the liner notes and typos :arrow:

Those inner booklets are awful.. some nice new editions with enhanced booklets on every album would be most welcome. Certainly got no complaints about the music on the discs :D :)
The Sanctuary notes are much better. They should (IMHO) have got a real writer to do the job, somebody who knows how to do the hard work of research, do it thoroughly and then be skilled enough to turn it into a readable sentence, without trotting out the same rubbish you and I have read a million times before. Stephen Iliffe for example would have done a fantastic job, he's recently written some sleeve notes for the Neu! boxset, plus he knows his stuff, having written a well received book on Roedelius as well as sleeve notes for the CD 'Human Being-Live at the Zodiak'.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

The Sanctuary notes are much better. They should (IMHO) have got a real writer to do the job, somebody who knows how to do the hard work of research, do it thoroughly and then be skilled enough to turn it into a readable sentence, without trotting out the same rubbish you and I have read a million times before. Stephen Iliffe for example would have done a fantastic job, he's recently written some sleeve notes for the Neu! boxset, plus he knows his stuff, having written a well received book on Roedelius as well as sleeve notes for the CD 'Human Being-Live at the Zodiak'.
Sanctuary did a decent job with the inner booklets,they were all pretty much informative IMO. :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: Those inner booklets are awful.. some nice new editions with enhanced booklets on every album would be most welcome. Certainly got no complaints about the music on the discs :D :)
Sanctuary did a decent job with the inner booklets,they were all pretty much informative IMO. :D
Yeah, at least Sanctuary bothered to have info on the album, recording session and include some photos from the era, so all interesting and relevant stuff.

For the Virgin definitive CDs they have a generic short text about TD for each CD and a CD catalogue. Only relevant info is credits for the album of which they have mistakes anyway (especially the back of the CD case).

So it's a nice 'experience' taking Alpha Centauri for example, reading the notes and listening to the music. It feels like a complete package. But Phaedra for example unfortunately only has some instruments credits and that's pretty much it. Nothing about the recording, no photos. It feels like it's lacking something...
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

I have most of the Definitive editions. In every case I felt they were inferior to the first Virgin CD's and of course the vinyl. I should have stopped buying them after the first 2 or 3 but I guess "hope dies last".
Erik

Post by Erik »

Flashpoint wrote:
I have most of the Definitive editions. In every case I felt they were inferior to the first Virgin CD's and of course the vinyl. I should have stopped buying them after the first 2 or 3 but I guess "hope dies last".
it's also a shame that the original CD releases had not so attractive album covers. Force Majeure for example.
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
owen

Post by owen »

Curious to read this. I wonder if the Definitive Edition cds have a bit more compressed sound?
owen

Post by owen »

I'd agree that the sleeve art for the Virgin 'definitive' cds isn't the best. The same essay in each booklet, and then the pics of the album sleeves...that's virtually it. It's like each album doesn't have its own sleeve at all, except the front pic.

Two of my TD Virgin albums aren't 'definitive' ones--I actually picked them up 2nd hand (Force Majeure & Exit). I noticed some difference. My Exit cd has an essay inside it in slightly broken English & Force Majeure has a couple of pics on it.

The definitive ones sounded like some of the high frequencies might have been cut because the bass is so heavy. However, my old Exit CD sounds like it has a cassette master with worn heads or something! A slightly 'muffled', distant sound.

Hearing 'Exit' (actually Pilots of Purple Twilight) on Electronic Journey was interesting for me, because the sound quality (even though it was a re-recorded version) was SO much better. Made it much more enjoyable tune. For some music, crsytal clear sound isn't essential but for electronic...well, it was almost made to sound that way, right?

Tangram sounds like it was probably remastered very well because it sounds so sharp. I've yet to get to really like that album--the music is good, but the tunes sound disjointed. Maybe the two tracks should have been 6 or 7?
Erik

Post by Erik »

maybe you'd prefer Tangram 2008?
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "