Springtime in Nagasaki

Hobo
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Hobo »

har wrote:
Hobo wrote:
har wrote:I've had this album, Spring, for about two weeks now.

It is magnificent. Realise you guys have done this, but I just wanted to say I am so glad to have found all this new TD music and especially this album.

Initially I preferred persistence of memory as it is probably more instantly accessible due to the guitar work (my instrument) but have to say that Navel of Light has grown exponentially this past week and basically the whole recording is superb!

In fact part 2 of persistence, especially when the guitar theme returns is one of the most beautiful pieces of Dream music I've heard. (Although there are approx. 46413 other beautiful bits of Dream music!)

Even my wife likes it :shock: and the two heavy metal teenage dudes have been complimentary :shock: :shock:

So hope you dont mind me dredging this thread back up, it is a wonderful discovery for me.
:)

PS I'm sure there will be a reason for just having the new TD releases for sale on here or perhaps other places I am not aware of. But surely this stuff should be on amazon and i tunes etc . Spread the Word and all that!
Nothing wrong with reminding us just how good this album is. TD are on a roll right now and I'm really looking forward to the new tracks in the offing!
Cheers hobo, likewise.

Between listening to the new downloads and comparing with my older classic Dream there aint much time for listening to anything else :D
TD have a vast catalogue and I've still to hear a sizeable part of it. I'm not complaining though. Every day is an adventure! :D
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
rockyrobin

Comments on Naval Of Light Pt. III

Post by rockyrobin »

After many hearings of this piece, i'm wondering if there's anyone who
has developed a similar appreciation for it, as I have. Listening to
this first time/s round, I couldn't visualise or imagine anything
particularly Spring-like,in the pastoral sense. This image of
Springtime got in the way of my appreciation of the music. Having got
that out of my mind, i'm intrigued by the seemingly 'other wordliness'
of the sounds, and what might be behind the idea, if anything. It
could almost be sound painting, in the surreal sense. And therefore
not belonging to anything too earthly as I tried to make it. Then
there are the pitter patter rythmns coming in, metallic-like
chords...could these be Froese's interpretation of the pitter patter
of Spring rain? If so it reminds me that this music has its own world,
and this Nagasaki we're hearing is on a plain all of its own.

Robin
"What is success? Glory? Honour? Blah blah... 'I'll never know how the elephant got into my pyjamas.' (Marx, Animal Crackers)
Goodnight, folks."
Edgar Froese on a day in the touring life of tangerine dream, UK program, 1981.
rotwang

Re: Comments on Naval Of Light Pt. III

Post by rotwang »

rockyrobin wrote:After many hearings of this piece, i'm wondering if there's anyone who
has developed a similar appreciation for it, as I have. Listening to
this first time/s round, I couldn't visualise or imagine anything
particularly Spring-like,in the pastoral sense. This image of
Springtime got in the way of my appreciation of the music. Having got
that out of my mind, i'm intrigued by the seemingly 'other wordliness'
of the sounds, and what might be behind the idea, if anything. It
could almost be sound painting, in the surreal sense. And therefore
not belonging to anything too earthly as I tried to make it. Then
there are the pitter patter rythmns coming in, metallic-like
chords...could these be Froese's interpretation of the pitter patter
of Spring rain? If so it reminds me that this music has its own world,
and this Nagasaki we're hearing is on a plain all of its own.

Robin
I wouldn't worry too much about finding any springtime references in the actual music, Rockyrobin. One can over-analyze a work, after all. In my case, I merely used the title as an introduction for whatever came out of the speakers without worrying about the details.

Since the work is the first of a series of five discs relating to a Japanese businessman's personal experiences during the tragic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, that is what primarily informed my own personal interpretations of the music. My overall interpretation is that Springtime in Nagasaki captures in music the mood of the people of Japan in spring 1945. The war was going badly for them, and some of the more somber musical cues (to me, at any rate) sounded like the emotions felt by many Japanese people who probably lost sons or husbands in battle. And, of course, one can also interpret some passages as foreshadowing of the inevitable tragedy that is dramatically realized in Summer in Nagasaki.

The beautiful thing about TD's music is that is open to so many interpretations.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
rockyrobin

Comments on Naval Of Light Pt. III

Post by rockyrobin »

Thnx for the reply.

Just continuing down my interpretation (the rain), its interesting that the following track has running water sounds. Aside from whether they may or may not be linked, Thorstens piece was always my first choice to listen to, for the music and atmospherics. But now, the representation of something like rain, is superior, as the piece then becomes a concept. Somehow a concept leaves room for interpretation and imaginings, as its not fixed, and very personal as you say.

The 'sleeve notes' say: "Spring & Summer will describe the normal atmosphere in a Japanese city with some of the rising premonitions of what will happen..."

I don't interpret it all as doom therefore. Part II of Naval of Light I find to be rather lazy, and the rythmn section very undiverse, though there's something in the relentlessness of the rythmn that seems very deliberately so, which I can get into!
"What is success? Glory? Honour? Blah blah... 'I'll never know how the elephant got into my pyjamas.' (Marx, Animal Crackers)
Goodnight, folks."
Edgar Froese on a day in the touring life of tangerine dream, UK program, 1981.
24db

Post by 24db »

Brilliant album, enough to make even the grumpiest of grizzlies have a whole day off
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

24db wrote:Brilliant album, enough to make even the grumpiest of grizzlies have a whole day off
It is Andy and shows just what a good Musicians EF & TQ are an although the few albums before were superb this was a kind of Rennaisance.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

24db wrote:Brilliant album, enough to make even the grumpiest of grizzlies have a whole day off

yes it is a wonderfull album as is summertime 8)
hansx

Post by hansx »

I am still not convinced of this cd. It is nice to hear, but that is all. Hope that the next one will be the one.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

cantosis wrote:

It's too bad part III is taking so long. Part II came really fast after the first disc. I guess that I expected that pace to continue.

No matter what, I think the entire project is a fantastic idea. One that is in fact, long over due. I think the concept of memorializing war crime victims in music is a phenomenal idea. TD is pulling it off with tremendous class and dignity. Having recently finished an incredible book (both in facts and it's ability to depress) on the subject, I cannot get my mind off of the victims of pure evil. TD's music is very helpful to meditate on the sorrows of these people. (Read Masters of Death, by Richard Rhodes if you want to alter your life forever).
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

It'd be interesting to read about Edgar's and Thorsten's emotional experience while composing and recording Springtime and Summer. I mean, how did it feel to compose a sound expressing nuclear destruction?
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Michael66 wrote:It'd be interesting to read about Edgar's and Thorsten's emotional experience while composing and recording Springtime and Summer. I mean, how did it feel to compose a sound expressing nuclear destruction?
Yep that would be interesting. It can't have been easy.
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

I would also be interested in reading about Mr. H.T.'s experiences -- not just in Japan in 1945 but with Edgar and Co. Since he is in his 80s, he hardly lies within the usual demographic of TD fans. I am very curious as to why, out of the myriad composers/songwriters/musicians in the world, he selected Edgar Froese/Tangerine Dream to create these musical memoirs of this pivotal time in his life.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

rattymouse wrote:
cantosis wrote:

It's too bad part III is taking so long. Part II came really fast after the first disc. I guess that I expected that pace to continue.

No matter what, I think the entire project is a fantastic idea. One that is in fact, long over due. I think the concept of memorializing war crime victims in music is a phenomenal idea. TD is pulling it off with tremendous class and dignity. Having recently finished an incredible book (both in facts and it's ability to depress) on the subject, I cannot get my mind off of the victims of pure evil. TD's music is very helpful to meditate on the sorrows of these people. (Read Masters of Death, by Richard Rhodes if you want to alter your life forever).
Great post, Rattymouse. I hope you find more time on this forum in the future.

NP. Summer In Nagasaki, writing the long overdue review.
har

Post by har »

I think Spring may be my favourite (possibly) of the new stuff I have downloaded.

It is a magnificent work.

I love the whole album but special mention to Persistence of Memory;

....... part2 from about 7min40>>>>>> for being one of the most beautiful pieces of music and guitar playing EVER.

and

.......part3 for being so uplifting, with much coolness of instrumentation and drum playing

Class album
24db

Post by 24db »

SIN is a really solid album, SUIN is a brilliant album, I hear that the new Hiroshima disc is 'promissing' so far..early days though