Springtime in Nagasaki

Pertou
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Pertou »

Lonely Cowboy wrote:
tangmaster wrote:Well after some weeks i like this one more than at the first listening.
Springtime in Nagasaki is like a good wine - its rich bouquet evolves after a while...the compositions are complex and of sheer beauty, but you definitely need time and concentration to hear all the beauty sounds. This music (especially EFs Navel of Light) was not made for fast consumption...
Lonely Cowboy, you must agree with my review which I'll put on the site tonight! I like your avatar, btw...
Lonely Cowboy

Post by Lonely Cowboy »

Pertou wrote:
Lonely Cowboy wrote:
tangmaster wrote:Well after some weeks i like this one more than at the first listening.
Springtime in Nagasaki is like a good wine - its rich bouquet evolves after a while...the compositions are complex and of sheer beauty, but you definitely need time and concentration to hear all the beauty sounds. This music (especially EFs Navel of Light) was not made for fast consumption...
Lonely Cowboy, you must agree with my review which I'll put on the site tonight! I like your avatar, btw...
Thanks, Pertou! I'm anxious to read it soon.
Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience. OSCAR WILDE
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Lonely Cowboy wrote:
Pertou wrote:
Lonely Cowboy wrote: Springtime in Nagasaki is like a good wine - its rich bouquet evolves after a while...the compositions are complex and of sheer beauty, but you definitely need time and concentration to hear all the beauty sounds. This music (especially EFs Navel of Light) was not made for fast consumption...
Anxious? Don't be... :lol:

Again, Tangerine Dream can be bought for money, but undoubtedly under other legal circumstances, unlike, when they according to Klaus Schulze, prostituted their artistic integrity away to Hollywood in the mid eighties, to arm an insanely large arsenal of synthesizer equipment, which had to be rapidly renewed, time and time again. For some years, that was the agenda, and demanded its sacrifices: the talents known as Johannes Schmoelling and Christopher Franke.
The orchestration of newer TD has been stable for quite some time, but artistic disputes, has given Jerome second thoughts, as it looks now.
Springtime In Nagasaki is ordered by a Japanese business man, on his 82nd year, whom managed to stay both in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, in the time around the dropping of the bombs. Springtime In Nagasaki marks, as it is promised on the sequel, Summer In Nagasaki, the daily atmosphere in Nagasaki, with the omens, the civilization were not aware of, but were on the drawing board at the American air force.
The following season, autumn and winter, is set in the time, when our hero lived in Hiroshima, and perhaps they reveal themselves from a more violent side, music wise, that is? I mean, how can you stage, such a bestial crime, it really was, when the bombs fell upon the metropoles of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
A fifth instalment, which TD calls “the endless season”, is the time after the war, which I find very disturbing, as it is presented the press info.
No deal without conditions, hence the dogma of a 54 minutes restriction, for each album in the series. Why, we do not know, but it will please fans complaining over too long album, and they will probably also, be delighted with the way Springtime In Nagasaki is.
I personally think that TD works exquisitely from a firmly defined thematic, and as it emerges from the musical flow of the album, the 82 year old one, has not looked TD over their shoulders, as a tyrannical control freak
Apparently that is the case for Edgar Froese and Thorsten Quaeschning, who, individually, have given each other free hands to the project – so their approaches are very different, and not unimportant, they are pure.
Contrary to the residing tendency of a vital, young input, versus a rather superannuated mastermind, it must be pointed out that the only original member has the biggest ability to identify himself into the project.
Edgar’s Navel Of Light is cogent, and at worst, very clinical, but nevertheless, strong narrative synthesizer art in three parts, that despite of the “fact” that it reaches a musical deadlock, upon the first listens, in such a degree, it took me in a state, way beyond tedium, also contains the complete grotesque drama, I expect to hear more from, during the autumn and the winter.
The intro, Navel Of Light Part 1, is cinematic keyboard symphony orchestra, that theoretically can’t gain a single amount of applause, but in reality it really works. What makes my small hands clap, must be credited to the following atmosphere, and in the second part, illustrates a void – a calm before the storm, so to speak. Furthermore, Edgar’s fascination of Japanese culture shines through, very evidently.
In Navel Of Light Part 3, a storm is brewing, on the other side of the Pacific, in the USA, that is, where they have succeeded in exploiting the nuclear physical discoveries, care of Niels Bohr, to potential crimes against humanity, and as history proves, makes benefit of, on the 9th and the 16th of August 1945.
What we hear, is splendidly sequenced electronica, and a rocking, conclusive chord progression, which put a stop on Froese, this time. Navel Of Light is like written after the Hollywood template, but rather with a “to be continued” than a happy ending.
There is no space left for a rhetorical pause, when Thorsten Quaeschning gives his version of the whole wretched business.

The thing that makes Persistence Of Memory fail, compared to Navel Of Light, is most likely a kind of generation gap. My experience is that elderly people, who experienced the war and its repercussions, are more moved and solemn about it. Thorsten is much younger than Edgar, and in comparison, his music just seem to be an extension of his prog.rock fascination.
I prefer to see Persistence Of Memory as this, as it doesn’t bear witness to the presence of history, unlike Navel Of Light.
Persistance Of Memory Part IV is a weird amalgamation of Klaus Schulze’s and Pete Namlook’s Dark Side Of The Moog IV and Talk Talk’s final records, Spirit Of Eden and Laughing Stock. First mentioned in the exotic rhythms and last mentioned, in the jazzy paraphrases in the synthetic wind- and guitar arrangements.
Persistence Of Memory Part V is confused in its mix of dripping sounds, a fragment of Vivaldi’s Spring, and a general laidback ness, unfortunately only multiplied in such a calibre, it seems rather trying. Fortunately, it gets a lot better, when loud new age piano, and the aforementioned guitar sound returns.
Persistence Of Memory Part VI is a barefaced tribute to Genesis. The synth leads is Tony Banks in person, and the drum rhythms, particularly the hi-hat fills, is a Phil Collins robot. Cathartic, upon the previous dripping music.
Look forward to the four following albums, and do not despair upon Springtime In Nagasaki. It’s like a maladjusted teenager, but take your time to listen and understand. Everything will stand much clearer, if you listen on the right premises. (May 2007)

A somewhat grammatically corrected version will be found on my website !
Last edited by Pertou on Sun May 27, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Excellent JP :arrow: 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

epsilon75 wrote:Excellent JP :arrow: 8)
Cheers CJ! You can blame it on the music... :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:
that couldn't be the same Klaus Schulze who knocked off a note perfect copy of Vangelis's the Conquest of Paradise? ;) obviously he did it just for 'art' ;)
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

a quote from the "Angst" booklet:

Today it rarely happens that someone asks me to write film music, especially for American films. If I had wanted that I would have had to move to the States. In the 80's, Edgar [Froese of Tangerine Dream] had told me, "If you really want to get into this scene you have to come to Hollywood and have dinner with these people every evening even if nothing happens afterwards". And I said "You know what, buddy? You can do that but I have better things to do!" So we divided the world between us - Edgar got America, and I got Europe. But sometimes even Edgar gets tired of it because he feels like he has prostituted himself as a film composer. For me there would never be a possibility of going to to America and allowing people meddle in my music. When I did music scores, it was always on my terms, "Tell me what kind of music you would like to have. I'll play it in two or three different versions for you, and you get to choose one version. But I definitely don't wan't somebody sitting by my side telling me what to play, otherwise I won't do it".

[All quotations were taken from an interview conducted by music journalist Albrecht Piltz with Klaus Schulze in November 2005, exclusively for this edition]
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:a quote from the "Angst" booklet:

Today it rarely happens that someone asks me to write film music, especially for American films. If I had wanted that I would have had to move to the States. In the 80's, Edgar [Froese of Tangerine Dream] had told me, "If you really want to get into this scene you have to come to Hollywood and have dinner with these people every evening even if nothing happens afterwards". And I said "You know what, buddy? You can do that but I have better things to do!" So we divided the world between us - Edgar got America, and I got Europe. But sometimes even Edgar gets tired of it because he feels like he has prostituted himself as a film composer. For me there would never be a possibility of going to to America and allowing people meddle in my music. When I did music scores, it was always on my terms, "Tell me what kind of music you would like to have. I'll play it in two or three different versions for you, and you get to choose one version. But I definitely don't wan't somebody sitting by my side telling me what to play, otherwise I won't do it".

[All quotations were taken from an interview conducted by music journalist Albrecht Piltz with Klaus Schulze in November 2005, exclusively for this edition]
Yeah I've read it before...nice interview :)
Lonely Cowboy

Post by Lonely Cowboy »

Pertou wrote:
Lonely Cowboy wrote:
Pertou wrote: Lonely Cowboy, you must agree with my review which I'll put on the site tonight! I like your avatar, btw...
Anxious? Don't be... :lol:

Again, Tangerine Dream can be bought for money, but undoubtedly under other legal circumstances, unlike, when they according to Klaus Schulze, prostituted their artistic integrity away to Hollywood in the mid eighties, to arm an insanely large arsenal of synthesizer equipment, which had to be rapidly renewed, time and time again. For some years, that was the agenda, and demanded its sacrifices: the talents known as Johannes Schmoelling and Christopher Franke.
The orchestration of newer TD has been stable for quite some time, but artistic disputes, has given Jerome second thoughts, as it looks now.
Springtime In Nagasaki is ordered by a Japanese business man, on his 82nd year, whom managed to stay both in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, in the time around the dropping of the bombs. Springtime In Nagasaki marks, as it is promised on the sequel, Summer In Nagasaki, the daily atmosphere in Nagasaki, with the omens, the civilization were not aware of, but were on the drawing board at the American air force.
The following season, autumn and winter, is set in the time, when our hero lived in Hiroshima, and perhaps they reveal themselves from a more violent side, music wise, that is? I mean, how can you stage, such a bestial crime, it really was, when the bombs fell upon the metropoles of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
A fifth instalment, which TD calls “the endless season”, is the time after the war, which I find very disturbing, as it is presented the press info.
No deal without conditions, hence the dogma of a 54 minutes restriction, for each album in the series. Why, we do not know, but it will please fans complaining over too long album, and they will probably also, be delighted with the way Springtime In Nagasaki is.
I personally think that TD works exquisitely from a firmly defined thematic, and as it emerges from the musical flow of the album, the 82 year old one, has not looked TD over their shoulders, as a tyrannical control freak
Apparently that is the case for Edgar Froese and Thorsten Quaeschning, who, individually, have given each other free hands to the project – so their approaches are very different, and not unimportant, they are pure.
Contrary to the residing tendency of a vital, young input, versus a rather superannuated mastermind, it must be pointed out that the only original member has the biggest ability to identify himself into the project.
Edgar’s Navel Of Light is cogent, and at worst, very clinical, but nevertheless, strong narrative synthesizer art in three parts, that despite of the “fact” that it reaches a musical deadlock, upon the first listens, in such a degree, it took me in a state, way beyond tedium, also contains the complete grotesque drama, I expect to hear more from, during the autumn and the winter.
The intro, Navel Of Light Part 1, is cinematic keyboard symphony orchestra, that theoretically can’t gain a single amount of applause, but in reality it really works. What makes my small hands clap, must be credited to the following atmosphere, and in the second part, illustrates a void – a calm before the storm, so to speak. Furthermore, Edgar’s fascination of Japanese culture shines through, very evidently.
In Navel Of Light Part 3, a storm is brewing, on the other side of the Pacific, in the USA, that is, where they have succeeded in exploiting the nuclear physical discoveries, care of Niels Bohr, to potential crimes against humanity, and as history proves, makes benefit of, on the 9th and the 16th of August 1945.
What we hear, is splendidly sequenced electronica, and a rocking, conclusive chord progression, which put a stop on Froese, this time. Navel Of Light is like written after the Hollywood template, but rather with a “to be continued” than a happy ending.
There is no space left for a rhetorical pause, when Thorsten Quaeschning gives his version of the whole wretched business.

The thing that makes Persistence Of Memory fail, compared to Navel Of Light, is most likely a kind of generation gap. My experience is that elderly people, who experienced the war and its repercussions, are more moved and solemn about it. Thorsten is much younger than Edgar, and in comparison, his music just seem to be an extension of his prog.rock fascination.
I prefer to see Persistence Of Memory as this, as it doesn’t bear witness to the presence of history, unlike Navel Of Light.
Persistance Of Memory Part IV is a weird amalgamation of Klaus Schulze’s and Pete Namlook’s Dark Side Of The Moog IV and Talk Talk’s final records, Spirit Of Eden and Laughing Stock. First mentioned in the exotic rhythms and last mentioned, in the jazzy paraphrases in the synthetic wind- and guitar arrangements.
Persistence Of Memory Part V is confused in its mix of dripping sounds, a fragment of Vivaldi’s Spring, and a general laidback ness, unfortunately only multiplied in such a calibre, it seems rather trying. Fortunately, it gets a lot better, when loud new age piano, and the aforementioned guitar sound returns.
Persistence Of Memory Part VI is a barefaced tribute to Genesis. The synth leads is Tony Banks in person, and the drum rhythms, particularly the hi-hat fills, is a Phil Collins robot. Cathartic, upon the previous dripping music.
Look forward to the four following albums, and do not despair upon Springtime In Nagasaki. It’s like a maladjusted teenager, but take your time to listen and understand. Everything will stand much clearer, if you listen on the right premises. (May 2007)

A somewhat grammatically corrected version will be found on my website !
Very good review, Pertou! Very detailed and got to the point - my compliments! I agree with you in many aspects, especially concerning the generation "conflict" with respect to the given war topic...Let's see how the next part - Summer in Nagasaki - will be interpreted as it will be the most dramatic part thematically....I expect a rather unusual track by EF as continuation of the highly inspiring Springtime part.
Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience. OSCAR WILDE
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Jacob
Excellent Review :wink:

You are very good :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Very interesting review Jacob. I must admit, that although the album as a whole has an Eastern feel and there is a dark, brooding undercurrent, I don't feel a connection to the subject matter. It's all about individual interpretation and mine is obviously different to EF's and TQ's. Nonetheless, I find this album hugely rewarding and am eager to hear the next installment.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

24db wrote:
Pertou wrote:
that couldn't be the same Klaus Schulze who knocked off a note perfect copy of Vangelis's the Conquest of Paradise? ;) obviously he did it just for 'art' ;)
According to legend KS really did NOT want to do this project and so set his price VERY high thinking that the company requesting it would no longer be able to afford to engage his services. Apparently they were able to meet his terms and pay him what he wanted, and the vast amount of money he received made working on Conquest of Paradise a wee bit more bearable for Klaus :wink:
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

Hobo wrote:Very interesting review Jacob. I must admit, that although the album as a whole has an Eastern feel and there is a dark, brooding undercurrent, I don't feel a connection to the subject matter. It's all about individual interpretation and mine is obviously different to EF's and TQ's. Nonetheless, I find this album hugely rewarding and am eager to hear the next installment.
I would agree completely. Springtime in Nagasaki has really grown on me. I even got my partner who does not normally like Tangerine Dream to listen to it and she was impressed.

Looking forward to the next in the series :D
24db

Post by 24db »

Schulze wrote:
24db wrote:
Pertou wrote: Cheers CJ! You can blame it on the music... :wink:
According to legend KS really did NOT want to do this project and so set his price VERY high thinking that the company requesting it would no longer be able to afford to engage his services. Apparently they were able to meet his terms and pay him what he wanted, and the vast amount of money he received made working on Conquest of Paradise a wee bit more bearable for Klaus :wink:
every man has his price...etc etc etc ;)
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

Schulze wrote:
Hobo wrote:Very interesting review Jacob. I must admit, that although the album as a whole has an Eastern feel and there is a dark, brooding undercurrent, I don't feel a connection to the subject matter. It's all about individual interpretation and mine is obviously different to EF's and TQ's. Nonetheless, I find this album hugely rewarding and am eager to hear the next installment.
I would agree completely. Springtime in Nagasaki has really grown on me. I even got my partner who does not normally like Tangerine Dream to listen to it and she was impressed.

Looking forward to the next in the series :D
Springtime has grown on me as well. I knew I was in for a treat when I heard the opening fanfare. And while it did not "grab" me as instantly as did TD's works of the 1970s and 1980s, there are echoes of that period. I find I am picking up more and more to enjoy the more I listen to it.

Hobo wrote that he doesn't feel a connection to the subject matter, by which I assume he means the coming conflagration in Nagasaki. I think this merely underscores the idea that we all bring our own preconceived notions to music -- whether consciously or unconsciously. Think about it, if we had heard this music without having been given any title or any background information regarding why it was composed, I doubt if any of us would have thought of World War II Japan or nuclear warfare.

I think Edgar's intent was not so much to give a literal musical interpretation of Japanese culture and sentiment in the mid-1940s as much as he was trying to tap into the emotions that were probably felt during that period. By 1945, Japan had been fighting for several years, and the end -- and likely not a favorable one for the country -- was imminent, though no one could have foreseen the terrible way in which the war's end would come. The human "chanting" in the background could equally refer to the sorrow of the families of fallen Japanese soldiers during the course of the war as well as the portent of the A-bomb.

I think it is truly admirable of Edgar to agree to compose not just one but five albums that tie in to one of the singularly defining moments of the 20th century. If Springtime is merely the appetizer, I can hardly wait for the main course.
Last edited by rotwang on Thu May 31, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin