First experience of TD

Hobo
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Hobo »

redziller wrote:
Hobo wrote:
redziller wrote:1978 - I was listening to the evening metal slot on Capital Radio ("You're Mother Wouldn't Like It") and Nicky Horne played Cloud Burst Flight.

Need I say more

If that track were ever played live I think I would spontaneously combust.
Me too. Are you thinking, what I'm thinking? Always thought this would be a great encore!
Dare we hope :twisted:
I am. It would be worth the admission alone.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Barbakane

Post by Barbakane »

Well, I wasn't born until 1973, so I missed out on those golden years, as my musical tastes at age 2 in '75 weren't quite developed enough yet for Rubycon. :)

I had always been a fan of electronic music going back to seeing the scientist Carl Sagan's TV series "Cosmos," which featured some Vangelis and Synergy music, although I didn't actually start adding any of it to my collection until I was about 13 or so. I mentioned some musical interests to a fellow about 15 years older than me, and he said I needed to listen to, and I can remember his exact recommendations, "Brian Eno and Tangerine Dream." So I dutifully went to my local record shop and found several TD albums in the bin. I chose Exit and Tyger, for whatever reason, and because it had a more recent release ('87, and this experience was in early '88 ), I chose to listen to Tyger first. I wasn't expecting vocals, I can say that, but I still liked what I heard. Exit really got me going, though, especially "Choronzon."

Whenever Optical Race came out, I snatched it up, registered with the fan club, and found out 10 days too late that they were on tour in Washington, DC, the closest place to me. By that point they were long gone. :cry: I did manage to catch them four times on the '92 tour (New York, Philadelphia, Washington, and Baltimore). But it's been almost 15 long years since I've seen them live.
Pardon me, I have nothing to say.
hansx

Re: First experience of TD

Post by hansx »

HarryPotter No7 wrote:Maybe this has already been covered in the past...............

Back in 1985 I remember hearing them for the very first time on the short lived but excellent TV series Streethawk and had to get my hands on the music (as a niave kid of 13 I thought it would be readily available!)

I can remember asking my mum to get me a copy from our local library and she came back with an album depicting 3 chaps playing synthersizers in front of a giant orange sphere with the words Logos - live at the Dominion London 1982 plastered on the front.

And the rest for me is history.........

All my mates were playing Duran Duran, Howard Jones, etc and I was playing Logos - a kid of 13??? needless to say they took the p@@s! but I'm sure most liked it deep down.
My first experience was a lp in the secondhand corner of a warehouse called Ricochet. After that it took a two years or so beofre I bought a lot of others.
jimi

Post by jimi »

I was at a party in '75, stayed overnight on the ol sofa, just before going to sleep my friend put on Phaedra; I didnt sleep until the very last note was played :D
Greeting from Ireland

Jimi
Lucan

Post by Lucan »

March 1990. I was 15, and had been getting into Jean Michel Jarre quite a bit. I didn't know of any other people doing electronic instrumental music until I was in the library one day, and came upon an album called "Zeit" by Tangerine Dream. I liked the cover painting, and looked through the credits...four pieces, featuring analogue synthesizers, all more than 15 minutes long, no mention of any vocals. And, intriguingly, this thing came out before "Oxygene"! So, I had to check it out. I got the record out, took it home, put it on...and I was blown away!

17 years on, "Zeit" is still my favourite album ever released by anyone in the whole world EVER!

Oh my God...17 years! Ouch!
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I think I first got into TD about 1992. I had just started to get into Electronic music, I must say a rather late starter as I was 20 in 1992, I did not know anything about TD but I saw that movie Risky Business and I just got hooked on them, the movie would probably have been just a run of the mill 80s movie but for some reason the way the music was used in that film got me hooked. Love On A Real Train is my alltime fave TD song, that is the track that got me hooked on them.

My only regrret is I have never seen it peformed live by them, I think they played it at a recent concert?? but I saw them 3 times during the late 90s and never got to hear it unfortunately ;(
24db

Post by 24db »

um....the Hammersmith Odeon 1981, Dominion theatre (evening concert) 1982 and I was off and running
Seeker_UK

Post by Seeker_UK »

Cyclone. Blew my socks right orf.

I've cobbled together a few TD reminiscences here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stuart.jud ... Frames.htm
24db

Post by 24db »

Seeker_UK wrote:Cyclone. Blew my socks right orf.

excellent stuff! :)
Seeker_UK

Post by Seeker_UK »

24db wrote:

You read fast! :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

Seeker_UK wrote:
24db wrote:

You read fast! :wink:
I meant it was excellent ...so far and I've book marked it to read completely later :D
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

My interest in TD has been a bit back and forth. My initial interest started when I was 14 (1983!). My best friend's Dad had a top range Hi-Fi system and loved music. He used to play us Genesis, Vangelis, Jean-Michel Jarre and Tangerine Dream. My first memory was being blown away by Tangram, which became my favourite album.

I remember recording some albums from vinyl to cassette and pretty much made do with what I had.

Streethawk came out, and I loved the incidental music. (at the time I never realised that some of the soundtrack existed elsewhere, like the Thief album). I was very disappointed in the 12" single and the fact that no soundtrack was released. The ropey mix of SH put me right off LeParc, and ironically meant that I missed the LeParc version of Streethawk, which is closer to the main theme as it is in the series, for many years!

1988 came and my imagination was caught by the premise and the promo art for Near Dark. On a warm Spring day, not unlike this one today, I bought the CD and rented the movie of Near Dark. I was captivated by both.

I would then buy TD albums sporadically until the 21st century. The last 7 years I have caught up with almost all of the TDI catalogue, bootlegs and other releases.
NicholasP

Post by NicholasP »

I read about Klaus Schulze and therefor heard of TD. I just didn't know which album was worth buying so I randomly bought Jeanne D'Arc and it was great. 8)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

NicholasP wrote:I read about Klaus Schulze and therefor heard of TD. I just didn't know which album was worth buying so I randomly bought Jeanne D'Arc and it was great. 8)
Welcome to the forum Nicholas :wink: Lots more TD goodies out there to collect mate 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

My first experience was listening to TD was in my uncles motorbike shed.

Saw Them live at the Rainbow theatre 1974
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache