Looking Back at Goblins Club

epsilon75
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Looking Back at Goblins Club

Post by epsilon75 »

In my top 3 of the 90s TD and loved it when i first heard it.

A mixture of EF & JF compositions with the lovely "Elf June" track from LS and EF.

Really enjoyed TTES,RHIS & LWRE on the 97 tour and would like to hear "At Darwins Motel" & "On Cranes Passage" in concert. The re-issued" TDI edition and Australian pressing with "Forthworth Runway One" makes it even more appealling.

To me a better release altogether than TOB :arrow:
Last edited by epsilon75 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
timer

Post by timer »

Never really got into this one - may have to revisit I think !
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Nice album. Like the different album covers as well.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

A kind of favourite of mine. I Love Towards The Evening Star amongst others. The original album cover is one of my favourites also.
hansx

Post by hansx »

never was one of my favourits. Hardly play it. It has some nice songs on it. But overall it isn't a very good one.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

After TOB and TOTT I thought this album was a real return to form. For me it was TD returning to their EM roots after a brief dabble in American AOR. The sounds used on the album are more varied and the tracks a little less straight forward. Very good release IMO.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Chris Monk wrote:After TOB and TOTT I thought this album was a real return to form. For me it was TD returning to their EM roots after a brief dabble in American AOR. The sounds used on the album are more varied and the tracks a little less straight forward. Very good release IMO.
I agree with your description Chris,spot on :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..one of the worst from the 90's for me..at the time I thought it was OK..CDS said it was their best since Underwater Sunlight..not in my opinion by a long way.
j_pertou

Post by j_pertou »

Um-ba-yoh! :wink:
When it's dark enough, you can see the stars.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

sparrow wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..one of the worst from the 90's for me..at the time I thought it was OK..CDS said it was their best since Underwater Sunlight..not in my opinion by a long way.
Strange how different human beeings are, hehe. I am listening to this again now, and it must be one of my favourites ever. Can't find anything weak about Goblins Club. It might not be their best production, but what melodies, sounds, rythms, moods...:!:

:)
Jon

Post by Jon »

This is an uneven album. I really don't like At Darwin's Motel, United Goblins Parade and Sad Merlin's Sunday, typical meandering Edgar Froese stuff, but the remaining 5 tunes are really good.
Hyperboreauk

Post by Hyperboreauk »

Great album a definate return to form after some mediocre offerings.
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

j_pertou wrote:Um-ba-yoh! :wink:
Enough said!
PurpleTwilight

Post by PurpleTwilight »

Is it just me, or is the electric guitar on 'On Crane's Passage' poorly mixed? Many of the higher notes sound uncomfortably loud, as though the frequencies weren't properly balanced. Does anyone else hear this as well, or is it just my copy?
rigel

Post by rigel »

I remember buying this in HMV when it came out. Possibly the last ever TD album to be displayed in their "New Releases/Chart" section. :(

I too thought this generally well-produced album was an improvement on Turn of the Tides and Tyranny of Beauty. The highlights for me were "Towards the Evening Star", "At Darwin's Motel", "Rising Haul in Silence" (an otherwise fine piece let down by the guitar) and "Lamb With Radar Eyes" (I confess I prefer the live version Jerome put on his Pre-Cooked Munchies EP). The rest of Goblin's Club was patchy IMHO.