R-A-H 2010 3 CD set

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:Hours upon hours in a studio, is just as tiring as hours and hours in an office IMO.

A musician can be a full time job,and in respect of EF and TD,i think they have put in more hours as regard to music than most bands ever have or will.

Being an able musician is a gift,and it involves a lot of work both within and outside a studio,i applaud ALL musicians for their skills and their dedication to their art.

Keep them tunes a rolling TD,music is a major part and enjoyment of a music lover's life.
I am sure a large percentage of people using this board have done some downloading at some point or given copies of CD`s to friends(not necessarily TD music) but no one can really take the moral high ground

just my opinion and I am not trying to start any war or anything.
you are of course dead right mate, however when was the last time you did copies for 900 people? have a look on those torrent sites and see how many times they've been dowloaded. Anyway, respect, it's your opinion
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

cantosis wrote:
billythefish wrote:There are thousands upon thousands of musicians out there who, if they could make even a small income from their work, would be putting out world class albums.

It shocks me that people like Ulrich Schnauss are only just able to make ends meet, even with his reputation and following.... and this IS down to illegal downloading.

The sooner people are banged up for it, the better IMO, (and it may just spur me on to producing some tracks too).

I dont think illegal downloading has stopped Ulrich making big money Stephen, he probably would be struggling anyway for two reasons the music he is making is never going to get millions of people buying the albums and also a lot of people are struggling at the moment and probably not buying much music.

Maybe he would be a bit better off if torrents didnt exist but I have doubts of the impact. Its all very well people putting them on download sites but how many people actually download them who would have brought the music if the downlaod option wasn`t there?

This subject actually has more questions then answers
I have heard it from the horse's mouth re. Ulrich Matt. Piracy has massively hurt his income and he has made public his views.
He has started doing work for soundtracks, and toured as much as he can, but this is all depriving us of his new album as these things take time away from the creative process. There have been endless complaints about ex TD members resorting to film scores to make ends meet.

As for the enjoyment factor of making music, the initial creative process can certainly be fun, but the editing, mixing and mastering process can take months and frustrate you to tears. Then there's the minefield of publishing, distributing and selling the product. It's like most careers - there are fun aspects, and then there's loads of boring baggage to go with it.

I have dreamt of recording albums and releasing something since I was a schoolboy, but I couldn't even begin to spare the time at the moment. It would be different if I thought I could get something back at the end.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Just another point we assume that say 100 people have downloaded an album illegally that is money lost to the artist but in reality if torrents did not exist how many of those people would have actually brought the album? I would guess not many.

I have always and willl always buy the albums of the artists I like and I would like to think that is the same for most fans but I do use torrents and its usually for music I am unsure about, the thing I like about illegal downloading is now I can use the "try before I buy" method which for someone on a budget is great.

I would never have got into FAX if it wasnt for this and other music as well.

the whole industry has changed for good now and there is no point moaning about it as it will never go back to the old days where if you wnated to get something for free you would have to sit next to the radio with your tape recorder and try and pause after your track finished and before the DJ started talking again or getting a mate to tape something to a C90

And one final point I have heard a lot of artists say that the income from album and single sales is very small anyway, ok this maybe the bigger artists but I often wonder what sort of perccentage soemone would get from a 7-99 ituens download

I would love to hear a view from Edgar or someone in TD. If I am ever lucky enough to win one of the raffles I will certainly bring up the subject as I am very interested in it.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

24db wrote:
cantosis wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:e.
sadly...even if they were 99p each most people would sooner pay ****-all for them and illegally download them. We've discussed this before mate, I seem to remember mentioning to you that Pete (for example) hasn't had a holiday for 3 years...if we think he's an island and it only effects him, then we're mistaken

As for Pete Namlook I have a lot of respect for Pete and have myself discussed it with him and while I do have a lot of sympathy with him he also isn`t doing himself any favours by releasing his music in 2 CD sets. and making his fans pay for a CD that in reality most people wont use.

It`s all very well saying that FAX music is made for DTS systems but in reality most of the people(if you go by the posts on forums) dont use these.

He told me in 20 years I will be thanking him for making these two CD sets but I have my doubts.

but yeh I do feel sorry for him in a way that he has sold of some of his equipment and his now selling his personal collection of CDs.

But I dont want people to think I am the bad guy, I just dont see as such a problem as a lot of people, I wish someone could change my mind but I just see it differently.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I as a rule don't like downloads..legal or illegal..if it's out there on CD I would rather have the CD..my brother -in law hasn't bought a CD in 20 years but his whole music collection is worthless. He simply refuses to pay money for something he can get for nought..which is sad and a bit ignorant IMO.
Steve Robinson

Post by Steve Robinson »

I just wrote a long and passionate reply about home taping, copying c.d.s and downloads.

My internet connection crashed and I lost the lot!!!

Suffice to say, I've never downloaded any music, legal or otherwise.

I used to tape vinyl l.ps, and had tapes from friends. This enabled me to enjoy and learn about TD and other forms of music. This way broadens the musical knowlegde and you then either investigate further or disregard. Up to 'White Eagle' I had all TD albums on tape, but have subsequently replaced them by the buying vinyl albums as and when money has allowed, and later again on c.d. (so the artist has benefitted twice in many cases). I use rip and burn in the same way, and still create my own compilations or give music to friends. 'Home taping IS NOT killing music'

Downloads on the world wide web are a different kettle of fish. This is BIG BUSINESS and should be stopped.

Also, I love the tactile nature of owning a vinyl album or a professionally produced compact disc. Being able to hold the product in your hands, see the artwork and read the liner notes/booklet and learn the songs if lyrics are included, just makes owning a record/c.d. the most enjoyable experience. I think that anyone who downloads will not get the tactile part of this and consequently will be losing a great part of what enjoying music is about.

My (greatly curtailed) rant over......
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

cantosis wrote:
24db wrote:
cantosis wrote:
sadly...even if they were 99p each most people would sooner pay ****-all for them and illegally download them. We've discussed this before mate, I seem to remember mentioning to you that Pete (for example) hasn't had a holiday for 3 years...if we think he's an island and it only effects him, then we're mistaken

As for Pete Namlook I have a lot of respect for Pete and have myself discussed it with him and while I do have a lot of sympathy with him he also isn`t doing himself any favours by releasing his music in 2 CD sets. and making his fans pay for a CD that in reality most people wont use.

It`s all very well saying that FAX music is made for DTS systems but in reality most of the people(if you go by the posts on forums) dont use these.

He told me in 20 years I will be thanking him for making these two CD sets but I have my doubts.

but yeh I do feel sorry for him in a way that he has sold of some of his equipment and his now selling his personal collection of CDs.

But I dont want people to think I am the bad guy, I just dont see as such a problem as a lot of people, I wish someone could change my mind but I just see it differently.

i have never heart of pete namlook before but this post got me interested since i am a HUGE surround fan. any recommendations, can anyone comment on the quality of the surround mixes? Personally, I think, offering hi-res or surround recordings is the way to go for artists especially in niche markets but it is kind of disheartening to hear that even among TD fans there is not much support for that format, although the music would lend itself to it extremely well
24db

Post by 24db »

multivit72 wrote:
cantosis wrote:
24db wrote: sadly...even if they were 99p each most people would sooner pay ****-all for them and illegally download them. We've discussed this before mate, I seem to remember mentioning to you that Pete (for example) hasn't had a holiday for 3 years...if we think he's an island and it only effects him, then we're mistaken

i have never heart of pete namlook before but this post got me interested since i am a HUGE surround fan. any recommendations, can anyone comment on the quality of the surround mixes? Personally, I think, offering hi-res or surround recordings is the way to go for artists especially in niche markets but it is kind of disheartening to hear that even among TD fans there is not much support for that format, although the music would lend itself to it extremely well
I'll answer this over the namlook thread
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

cantosis wrote:As for Pete Namlook I have a lot of respect for Pete and have myself discussed it with him and while I do have a lot of sympathy with him he also isn`t doing himself any favours by releasing his music in 2 CD sets. and making his fans pay for a CD that in reality most people wont use.

These two CD-sets are amongs the most unreasonable marketing I have ever seen. Of course very uninteresting to buy two CD's, when you can only play one of them.
For Pete Namlook I am satisfied with digital versions only.
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

24db wrote:
multivit72 wrote:
cantosis wrote:

I'll answer this over the namlook thread
thanks. havent really ventured in the "portfolio" section yet.. ;)

to be more on topic, I wonder why releases like RAH are not immediately available through amazon for example. while it is good to support the artist directly, several people would probably prefer to order it through their regular mailorder store and save on postage. no excuse for downloading, of course...
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Another way that an artist's revenue is diluted is the poularity of web-sites selling second hand CDs such as eBay, U-bid and others. The amount of money that an artist receives from these sales is exactly the same amount as they get for an illegal download - £ 0.00/zip/zilch.
But of course sites like piratebay are totally different because of the sheer volume of downloads. For example, Iron Maiden's new album currently has almost 3500 people seeding it (through various links) so someting like that has gotta be bad for revenue. Not everyone who downloads it will buy a physical CD/vinyl version (and would certainly not buy an official download version - what would be the point ?)

I got an mp3 version of the album 5 days before it was officially released in shops, BUT I'd already got the double vinyl AND the CD versions on order from Amazon - I was just too impatient :oops:

I have official download stuff as well - Picture Palace Music, Arcane, the TD download stuff also (like the Haussmann concert). I would, however, rather have a CD than a download, for bands I really like. But for investigation purposes I have downloaded albums to listen to to see if I like them. Those I don't like I put in the recycle bin on the PC and delete. (It's not done any damage to the artist because I wouldn't have bought it anyway so there's no lost sale)
hansx

Post by hansx »

uhhh, interesting discussion. But is this not something for the illegal download thread or something like that in another category? :) :?:
24db

Post by 24db »

Steve wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote: very good cover - I think I would even buy this on vinyl, just to get a large-scale version......
Got mine last week. Fabulous live recording, and really love the cover and packaging too. Please can this be released in vinyl as well. I would also buy a copy, partly because I can see myself on the back cover, and one of the booklet photo's.

This is the ultimate live performance by TD, and this release looks to me like 'one for the fans'. We just need a vinyl version to complete the ultimate souvenir of a fabulous concert.

Please Edgar, what do you think?
I guess this depends on how well the last 3 TD albums (that are on vinyl) sell.
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Did no one here have a dual cassette tape deck back in the '80s? Back then me and my friends would exchange tapes and dupe them into our collection. I had a thousand cassettes of music. Radio used to play entire albums every week and again, I had a cassette tape ready.

With the exception of new TD releases, I bought virtually all my CD's from the many used CD stores that were around my house. The savings are enormous. $5 vs $18. Real hard decision.
hansx

Post by hansx »

TheMan wrote:Did no one here have a dual cassette tape deck back in the '80s? Back then me and my friends would exchange tapes and dupe them into our collection. I had a thousand cassettes of music. Radio used to play entire albums every week and again, I had a cassette tape ready.

With the exception of new TD releases, I bought virtually all my CD's from the many used CD stores that were around my house. The savings are enormous. $5 vs $18. Real hard decision.
yep, I had one. Even worse, I still have it. :)