Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:11 pm 
epsilon75 wrote:
Pertou wrote:
I'm listening to EIMP accompanied by the sound of rain, after a nice summer thunder... bliss... :D


Jacob

Enjoy :D 8) :D 8) :arrow:


I am. Although it's transfered from tape, the magic is not concealed.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:08 pm 
Epsilon In Malaysian Pale by Edgar Froese, 1975. 9/10

Image

Taken out of context, I add this review into the number of other releases, which refers to how my life seemed poorer without this album.
On diverse fan fora, there has been no lack of extravagant eulogies, but personally, I must appear a tad more unimpressed, now I finally hear Epsilon In Malaysian Pale. Although it stylistically leans toward Rubycon, my musical innocence is a little rough around the edges, after listening to remixed excerpts, a re-recording in its entirety, as well as a backwards version of Maroubra Bay.
Anyways, the album is a little different than the re-recording. I think the original has lesser nerve, and hearing the re-recording at first, and having it on cd, contrarily to this cassette, I guess I’ll return to the aforementioned re-recording more often.
In attempt to sum up, why the album has gained such a hearing, I can only guess.
The title track is a tropical, almost god-fearing mellotron parade, seeking a trance-like calmness, with undertones of the subconscious, with the disturbing timbres.
Tangerine Dream sought this style, if not more western sounding, when they in 1975 played a string of cathedral concerts in England.
My memory seems to fail after listening to the track to end. No trace of melodic hit potential here. Is this because the music is forgetable? Nah, actually not, it rather strives towards a metaphysical level.
The most odd about this album, is that the second side of the album almost feels backwards, after having listened the backwards version, on the compilation LP, Electronic Dreams
We’re talking about quite fast, sequencer based music, optimistically glittering in on the sunny hemisphere of the sinister Rubycon Part 1.
It’s genius, by all means. Even David Bowie used the album as an alibi to flee to Berlin, after a drug-ridden era in USA, around his ‘soul’ album, Young Americans, but I have, unfortunately, heard too much, before I heard the original, and Epsilon In Malaysian Pale from 2004 is my Epsilon In Malaysian Pale, I dare say.
(March 2007)


Last edited by Pertou on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 9:57 pm
Posts: 479
Location: Scotland
Pertou wrote:
Epsilon In Malaysian Pale by Edgar Froese, 1975. 9/10

Image

Taken out of context, I add this review into the number of other releases, which refers to how my life seemed poorer without this album.
On diverse fan fora, there has been no lack of extravagant eulogies, but personally, I must appear a tad more unimpressed, now I finally hear Epsilon In Malaysian Pale. Although it stylistically leans toward Rubycon, my musical innocence is a little rough around the edges, after listening to remixed excerpts, a re-recording in its entirety, as well as a backwards version of Maroubra Bay.
Anyways, the album is a little different than the re-recording. I think the original has lesser nerve, and hearing the re-recording at first, and having it on cd, contrarily to this cassette, I guess I’ll return to the aforementioned re-recording more often.
In attempt to sum up, why the album has gained such a hearing, I can only guess.
The title track is a tropical, almost god-fearing mellotron parade, seeking a trance-like calmness, with undertones of the subconscious, with the disturbing timbres.
Tangerine sought this style, if not more western sounding, when they in 1975 played a string of cathedral concerts in England.
My memory seems to fail after listening to the track to end. No trace of melodic hit potential here. Is this because the music is forgetable? Nah, actually not, it rather strives towards a metaphysical level.
The most odd about this album, is that the second side of the album almost feels backwards, after having listened the backwards version, on the compilation LP, Electronic Dreams
We’re talking about quite fast, sequencer based music, optimistically glittering in on the sunny hemisphere of the sinister Rubycon Part 1.
It’s genius, by all means. Even David Bowie used the album as an alibi to flee to Berlin, after a drug-ridden era in USA, around his ‘soul’ album, Young Americans, but I have, unfortunately, heard too much, before I heard the original, and Epsilon In Malaysian Pale from 2004 is my Epsilon In Malaysian Pale, I dare say.
(March 2007)


Nice review Jacob :D

I like both versions of this album.

_________________
Be at one with the sequencing.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
Good honest review Jacob..............But nothing will touch that original IMHO........Classic is a worthy title :wink:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
EIMP, for me, thee BM, is one of the greatest electronic music albums ever created....so why?....well, as with the vast majority of TD and EF work, the cover is a totem....signalling the music. The music itself is timeless, with a cinematic quality and a distant almost nocturnal ambiance....like listening to sounds outside the window.....invoking imagination. I know I bang on about how great EIMP and yes it is over rated........... but not by much.


Its gaudinian, in that it is sound sculpture par excellence and magically architectural. :D


the above is me opinion :wink:

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
And i totally agree with your opinion :D

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
bigmoog wrote:
EIMP, the cover is a totem....signalling the music.


I've always felt that this cover fitted the music perfectly. Both are quite beautiful!

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
Hobo wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
EIMP, the cover is a totem....signalling the music.


I've always felt that this cover fitted the music perfectly. Both are quite beautiful!


Yes very true Mick,im in the process of trying to get a T/Shirt made with the cover on the front and back :wink:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:20 pm
Posts: 86
Location: Arklow in Ireland or at next TD gig
Just want to keep this thread going !! :lol:

Best ever.................

_________________
David Fox


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
epsilon75 wrote:
Hobo wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
EIMP, the cover is a totem....signalling the music.


I've always felt that this cover fitted the music perfectly. Both are quite beautiful!


Yes very true Mick,im in the process of trying to get a T/Shirt made with the cover on the front and back :wink:


You'll be keeping that printers in business Colin. It would make a lovely shirt though.

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
agreed


eimp is so good its unreal, surreal, out there and in here, in my head as i type.....the mellotron, the distant sequencing.....sounding now and evocative, typically tropical......... :D

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
[quote="bigmoog] typically tropical......... :D[/quote]

Whoa!, I'm going to Barbados! :wink:

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
Hobo wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
Hobo wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
EIMP, the cover is a totem....signalling the music.


I've always felt that this cover fitted the music perfectly. Both are quite beautiful!


Yes very true Mick,im in the process of trying to get a T/Shirt made with the cover on the front and back :wink:


You'll be keeping that printers in business Colin. It would make a lovely shirt though.



Got to have one made Mick,there is nothing coming from the eastgate shop or Edgars store so i will again get my own done 8)

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
epsilon75 wrote:
Hobo wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
Hobo wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
EIMP, the cover is a totem....signalling the music.


I've always felt that this cover fitted the music perfectly. Both are quite beautiful!


Yes very true Mick,im in the process of trying to get a T/Shirt made with the cover on the front and back :wink:


You'll be keeping that printers in business Colin. It would make a lovely shirt though.



Got to have one made Mick,there is nothing coming from the eastgate shop or Edgars store so i will again get my own done 8)


I like the exclusivity of making your own Colin (not that the official merchandise ships by the lorry load).

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
If they just got Thirty of the most popular printed up at a time Mick,i doubt very much if they would be left with a lot hanging about :arrow:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6 [ 77 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage