New TD album - UNDER COVER - chapter 1

Chris Monk
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Chris Monk »

My missus thinks all the track sounded the same when I played them to her, having already told her it was by Tangerine Dream. :evil:

Later it was "Who's this? It's really good". :roll:

I swear I'll never understand the fairer music....

...or if I do, I'll know I've finally lost it. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

It's one the reasons i'm not too keen ........................my missus likes it
never liked any other TD stuff
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Steve

Post by Steve »

The highlight by far, for me on this album is 'The Model'. It's exactly what a good cover version should be, i.e. a new arrangement. Absolutely fabulous. I also really like 'Wicked Game', 'Everybody Hurts', and 'Precious'. These are my top tracks.

I hope to see Chapter 2 or Chapter 3, but this really is just an interesting diversion and shouldn't detract too much from the core TD recordings.

Well done though, and thank you. Even my wife has enjoyed this album!!!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Chris Monk wrote:I swear I'll never understand the fairer music...
Doh!!!

Forgot about the auto-censor. Can you guess what it should have said? :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
timer

Post by timer »

Stunning, didn't think I'd go much on this release, but the quality of the arrangements and production are (as usual) top notch !

I think the band should commended for yet another diverse release.

Chapter II - I wish it was here already !
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

timer wrote:Stunning, didn't think I'd go much on this release, but the quality of the arrangements and production are (as usual) top notch !

I think the band should commended for yet another diverse release.

Chapter II - I wish it was here already !
I must agree...." we could be heroes" :D
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

Got to disagree with most people here on this release I'm afraid.

In my opinion a really dull and inspid selection of songs performed in the blandest possible fashion.

The only tracks that stand out are the Model for being laughably bad and the first one and that's only 'cos I've never heard it before so don't have the almost certainly far superior original to compare it to.

I actually don't even hate this - it's so bland and boring it's impossible to get that worked up about.

I respect EF's wish to have some fun and do something different, but why put it out under the TD moniker and tarnish the name. would have been better in my opinion to do it under a pseudonym like the REM members did with the Hindu Love Gods.
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

Six By Nine wrote:Got to disagree with most people here on this release I'm afraid.

In my opinion a really dull and inspid selection of songs performed in the blandest possible fashion.

The only tracks that stand out are the Model for being laughably bad and the first one and that's only 'cos I've never heard it before so don't have the almost certainly far superior original to compare it to.

I actually don't even hate this - it's so bland and boring it's impossible to get that worked up about.

I respect EF's wish to have some fun and do something different, but why put it out under the TD moniker and tarnish the name. would have been better in my opinion to do it under a pseudonym like the REM members did with the Hindu Love Gods.
I disagree with your disagreement... :lol:
Bland and boring ? Don't think so... IMHO only two or three tracks are really boring, the other ones are interesting.
I don't understand how you can find The Model "laughably bad", but that's your opinion and I respect it.
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
Erik

Post by Erik »

i've always been fond of the idea of TD having an alias for some releases.
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
ant

Post by ant »

:( BLAND!! - Never. I love this album. The Model is a great reinvention of the original and even my Brother-In-Law thought it was good. Yes, all the tracks are of the slow variety (as I think I said in an earlier post) but that doesn't matter to me. Remember, this was done in fun and is not meant to be a 'serious' TD release. It certainly does not 'Tarnish' the TD name. IMHO it just shows how versatile Edgar and Co. are and that they don't mind having a bit of fun too. Lighten up I say. Roll on Chapter 2. :)
Biggus Dickus
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

Sorry this album is the epitome of bland, apart from the Model all of the tracks are done in exactly the same slow, soft focus style stripping all the life and vitality out of the originals

If it didn't say Tangerine Dream on the cover it could have been anybody.

As I said I know it was done for fun (!) and shouldn't be taken too seriously but in my opinion it's a very low quality release and is frankly an embarassment alongside the vast majority of their (his?) back catalogue.

If it had been released a cheap download or under a different name - fair play, but as a TD release - no thanks.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I can sort of understand where your coming by saying bland on some of them as they are pretty much 1dentical to the originals by that I am thinking of Everybody Hurts,Wish You Were Here and Precious, but then the one track that is completely stripped down and rebuilt "The Model" cannot be classed as bland and it sounds like you dont like it because its so different to the original.

So can they really win with an album like this? stick to the original feel of a track and be classed as boring and bland completely rework a track and get slated for ruining a track.

I think Cry Little Sister and The Model are actually more enjoyable than the originals so just for those two I am happy with this album
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

Fair points and perhaps that's why I'd have felt more comfortable with it under a different name.

For me Any Tangerine Dream album has to stand comparison with the likes of Rubycon, Tangram, Logos etc, even Tyger and in my opinion this just doesn't cut the mustard.

I don't like everything TD does but have always seen some merit in it but sadly not on this occasion.

But hey ho that's just me, at least I'll save some pennies on Pt 2!
ant

Post by ant »

:) I love it and have lost count of how many times I have played it. It is the fact that they, apart from 'The Model', are so close to the originals that I like it so much. If they had all been so different to the originals as The Model is I probably wouldn't have liked it so much. If they are that far removed from the originals then they are not so much 'cover versions' as complete reworkings, IMHO. To me it is a very worthy TD release and another string to their bow. Roll On Chapter 2 I say!! :D
Biggus Dickus
Taximan431

Post by Taximan431 »

Have played it on & off but really not as much as other TD albums I still can't really get into this one maybe because the originals play in my head .. some tracks work but it wouldn't be my fav TD album .

Geoff (Electrocelt) :wink: :!: