too much saxaphone?

manticore
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

too much saxaphone?

Post by manticore »

i've gotten the 3 most recent live releases within the last month and there seems to me to be too much sax on them.it sounds like every second track has the saxaphone on it and it really sounds out of place. i dont really like the saxaphone and the amount its on these cds has slightly spoiled them. i like linda spa and would prefer if she stuck to flute(which i do like)and keyboards. it makes the music sound too comercial and american,if you get what i mean. tangerine dream are a band who dont need it. anybody agree?
dont get your trossachs caught in your sporran
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

On London Eye there is IMO a bit too much sax..but...on Zeitgeist & Izu theres a lot less sax. I agree to an extent but although I like sax London Eye has far too much as you say on almost every track.
pb2rdf

Post by pb2rdf »

Not too much s(a)(e)x for me :D
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

In my opinion, a thing like "too much Linda's sax" is just an impossibility... :P
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Nearly every track with Linda's sax is a favourites of mine. The London Eye Concert was superb. I wish I'd been there. There was not enough sax at the RAH 2010 concert although Long Island Sunset was a dream come true 8)
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
Jon

Post by Jon »

I don't think TD uses too much sax. Some of the sax-tracks are among my favorites from the band, like Long Island Sunset, The Back Of Beyond (with two saxes?!), Melrose, Longing For Cashba, some of the Rockoon tracks and so on. Especially the energetic tracks are great with sax. I agree that some of the ballads with sax are a bit boring though.

I have to check out the London DVD for more sax. :-D
Erik

Post by Erik »

i agree with the previous post. some of my favourite stuff in their newer albums.

but if you don't like the sax, then of course there would be too much for ya. Image
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Leave the sax for live sets
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Erik

Post by Erik »

i enjoy the ballad-ey stuff like Sally's Garden, blue bridge, etc. there was one on the hollywood years too i think that was really good. can't remember the name. it's an emotive instrument and i really like it, so maybe i'm more lenient. it could be my favourite instrument. i'm glad that TD gets jazzy.

it doesn't get better than back of beyond imo. that just peels the paint off the walls
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
burningbrain

Post by burningbrain »

I always hate Sax. "Out Of Place" is the right word for it, and too high in the Mix.
But I love the Flute, Linda plays, but is always too low in the Mix
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

Well I love the sax and I can't get enough of Linda's sax. The sax is about right, it's the elecric guitar that is often much too low in the mix.
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
Red Morpho

Post by Red Morpho »

Not a great sax lover, however TD did mostly get the balance right - particularly at the RAH
You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink...but if you get it to float's on it's back then you've got something...
rigel

Post by rigel »

Personally I never felt there was too much saxophone on any of the band's releases. I mean, it's not like that instrument is all over every track. There were certain albums in the 1990s and into the 2000s that I was not keen on, but that was more to do with just not liking the compositions, as opposed to which instruments were used. I agree that some TD pieces with saxophone are not very good, but then again, like others have noted, some of my favourite tracks feature saxophone: Long Island Sunset, Lifted Veil, The Blue Bridge, Red Roadster ... a few others I forget just now!
RemoteViewing81

Post by RemoteViewing81 »

I agree on the flute ideas, but too much sax and TD starts sounding
like a smooth Jazz band.
"The aim of the music [of Tangerine Dream] is to paint surreal pictures with musical instruments."

http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/voiceshm.htm
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think that sax is o.k. in it's place and in moderation, thoough I'm not keen.

Agree with the start of this thread, that there is too much sax in TD music.