too much saxaphone?

Marc M
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Marc M »

In the beginning, I disliked the idea of the sax, especially on Melrose, which is one of their albums I like the less. As if they wanted to become a smooth jazz/electro band actually, yes, I agree.
I've never been very fond of saxphone, I wonder why I don't bother in Pink Floyd ! It all depends on what is played and how it's played, and maybe which type of sax is used too.
I liked the Mel Collins sax parts in Alan Parsosns Project too, quite often...

Now, I quite like Linda Spa's parts. I think she did very good performances souding more like a classical clarinet on certains pieces like "Pictures at an Exhibition" on Turn of the Tides.
I also quite liked what she played on Jeanne d'Arc.

This said, I'd prefer more flute, yes.
24db

Post by 24db »

too much, too little...just enough?...one day there won't be anything at all :shock:
intercorni

Post by intercorni »

20 years sax - I think it is enough!
Red Morpho

Post by Red Morpho »

intercorni wrote:20 years sax - I think it is enough!
whether we like it or not it is part of the TD tapestry of sound
You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink...but if you get it to float's on it's back then you've got something...
24db

Post by 24db »

I agree...Volker Hombach is overated ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

too much saxophone? not enough saxophone?

what a load of old flügelhorn

:P :P :P :P :P
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:too much saxophone? not enough saxophone?

what a load of old flügelhorn

:P :P :P :P :P
I think the half a dozen of us who are interested should have a poll and decide TD's future
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

People get negative associations about instruments that are not usually used in their favorite music. That's why people "hate" certain instruments. Adolphe Sax invented saxophone. His intention was to create a good sounding instrument, of course.

What is played is more important than the instrument. Getting used to the sound and most importantly, unlearning the negative associations is the key to enjoy many music styles. Some effort and an open mind is all we need. I have learned that it is a good thing when your favorite band does something "strange" to you. It means learning opportunity.

I haven't even thought about saxophone in TD's music. It doesn't botter me at all. Maybe it is easy for me since I grew up in a home where my father played lots of jazz music.

Anyway, I prefer flute over sax but neither of them is a problem for me.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Not for me.

I like a bit of sax now and again. Adds a bit of colour to the live shows.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Erik

Post by Erik »

they need to invoke the harp
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Jon

Post by Jon »

Why? A handful of sax-tracks during 20 years of music? Why should that be a problem?

And, people here seem to think of "jazz" when they hear the sax. I don't think of jazz at all when TD play their sax. It's still TD-music, with the sax incorporated.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Jon wrote:
Why? A handful of sax-tracks during 20 years of music? Why should that be a problem?

And, people here seem to think of "jazz" when they hear the sax. I don't think of jazz at all when TD play their sax. It's still TD-music, with the sax incorporated.
it`s a bit too Kenny G for me, whenever I play TD with sax in it my wife is always quite surprised and enjoys it which isn`t really a good endorsement with someone with her tastes.

I have never seen anyone say its jazz, I quite like jazz music and I love the sax in two tone music and other styles but I just dont enjoy a lot of the music with sax in it that TD do.

But hey TD can do whatever they like, I quite like the fact there are other styles and sounds even if it isn`t to my taste...there is plenty which is to my taste 8)
Jon

Post by Jon »

Several posts in this thread call it jazz when the sax shows up.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

of course there are many permutations of thee saxophone so we must decide what we are discussing here.

* Sopranino saxophone
* Soprano saxophone
* Alto saxophone
* Tenor saxophone
* Baritone saxophone
* Bass saxophone
* Contrabass saxophone
* Subcontrabass saxophone

Orchestral family:

* C melody saxophone
* Mezzo-soprano
* C soprano saxophone

Other Saxophones:

* Sopranissimo saxophone ('Soprillo')
* Tubax

as for 'Jazz'...this musical form has improvisation, polyrhythms, syncopation, and the swung note...all of which TANGERINE DREAM are thee masters of: fact*

*yes fact :D

the Bigmoog :lol: :lol:
...The wise.....are silent.....
Erik

Post by Erik »

bigmoog wrote: * Bass saxophone
* Contrabass saxophone
* Subcontrabass saxophone
lol
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "