Why 'Logos'?

owen
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Why 'Logos'?

Post by owen »

I've seen net reviews of Logos saying 'TD's best' and the like.

I presume it's very different to TD up to Tangram, and more like 'Exit'. I've heard bits of Logos on the net and it didn't grab me.

But if it's 'TD's best'...?

How does it compare to Poland? (I don't dislike Poland but I don't particularly like it either).

Is Logos more akin to a conventional 80s electronic-rock album (a bit like what Poland sounds to me) or does it have an experimental edge, like earlier TD?
Erik

Post by Erik »

they are easily comparable albums, but i wouldn't say it's ANYTHING experimental. With Logos you can kinda tell that Hyperborea is coming soon.
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
owen

Post by owen »

Ok, thanks. That gives me some rough idea...
rigel

Post by rigel »

I love Poland and other albums are right up there too, but there's something about Logos ... Everything is just so right on this live album. Expertly mixed by Franke and Schmoelling, one gets a feel for the live show at the Dominion Theatre in London. The melodies, rhythms and sequencers are so good. Some segments are even breathtaking - I mean that. There's a happy mixture of darker, atmospheric passages with evocative, weird droning sounds and samples going on, and then there are the beautiful, well crafted melodic passages. The production is excellent. Even the album cover is well designed. Do give Logos a chance.

Announcer: "Dominion London. Thank you for being patient."
Voice in the audience: "That's awright!"
Announcer: "Please welcome, Tangerine Dream!"
(big cheer from the crowd)
Then this fantastic music starts ...
owen

Post by owen »

Cool. That evokes a curiosity...
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

It's all down to personal opinion. I know Logos is a favourite for some fans.

I personally think it's a great album, I like how Logos flows from various parts into one long track (taken from recordings of the concert). I prefer Logos to Poland.

Logos also has one of the most beautiful TD melodies (around the 6 minute mark).
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I love Logos also, it was probably the album that really made a stamp on me when I first started listening to TD, it encouraged me to get more albums...
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Listen to Logos on LP, then you'll know, as it is sheer perfection, and that's the truth 8)
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Logos is a great TD album. It contains lots of really beautiful melodies that seem to blend from one into another. Lots of strange and eerie sounds. It's also a great reminder of what TD sounded like live back in the early 80s.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
ant

Post by ant »

:D Logos is one of my all time favourite TD albums and of course comes from one of my top TD periods with Mr Schmoelling. The album is obviously a cut down version of the actual gig (they left off all the music that had already been released/heard before) but it is so well done and is a great reminder of the night itself. I also seem to remember that it was released very quickly after the concert (somthing like one month later, if my memory serves me correctly). A TD collection without this release would not a TD collection be (IMHO). This is one I personally call a TD Classic. Others may not agree of course. :roll:
Biggus Dickus
rigel

Post by rigel »

Oh yes, yes yes. The melody around the 6 minute mark. So beautiful. And uplifting, don't you think?

I also remember noting that Logos was released very quickly after the concert in Nov(?) 1982. I mean the album was released in 1982, so it must have been a quickie release :wink:

I'm aware that it's heavily mixed and tracks are reorganised and whatnot, but holy smoke, what a good job they did of it.

By the way, I LOVE the eerie sequence at the beginning of side two. Might listen to it later and scare the neighbours LOL.
redziller

Post by redziller »

All true above!

What makes it rock for me is that on two sides of vinyl you have a great breadth of styles - melody, chord bashing, rock, powerful rhythms and sequencing and regards the beginning of side two as Rigel points out a great piece with sequences in three competing time signatures giving way to a banging section.

All damn fine cherry pie 8)
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
rigel

Post by rigel »

On your original question, yes, I think it's fair to say it's closer in spirit to Exit than Tangram. I think Logos perhaps has a more immediate appeal to Poland, but then what am I saying, I love Poland so much :) Perhaps because Poland is a double album, with longer ethereal passages, and perhaps because Logos, dare I say it, has a "brighter" production...maybe this is why Logos gets the nod (just) above Poland...IMHO. Others would argue that Poland is the more accomplished album. And let's not forget the two other great albums of the period, White Eagle and Hyperborea. I prefer Hyperborea. Hope I haven't confused the issue :lol:
rigel

Post by rigel »

redziller wrote:All true above!

What makes it rock for me is that on two sides of vinyl you have a great breadth of styles - melody, chord bashing, rock, powerful rhythms and sequencing and regards the beginning of side two as Rigel points out a great piece with sequences in three competing time signatures giving way to a banging section.

All damn fine cherry pie 8)
Redziller, you have put that much better than me. Chord bashing, have to remember that :wink: Someone who isn't a TD fan told me once that he heard Logos and was surprised and blown away by how good it was!
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Had a listen to Logos last night on Phones and it remains a mesmerising album. Beautiful, Mysterious and a masterpiece..My one and only mate who also enjoys TD doesn't like it at all... :? Says it's bland and lifeless. Can't for the life of me uderstand why. :roll: