'Pergamon' (1980)

owen
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

'Pergamon' (1980)

Post by owen »

There was an album between Force Majeure and Tangram that didn't see the light of day till much later, right? Called 'Pergamon' or something like that.

was it an album that was actually scrapped for some reason? (if so, why?) And how does it compare to other TD albums of the era?

was Exit the first digital-synths TD album?

(I'm all questions, amn't I? Have to learn somewhere...)
Erik

Post by Erik »

don't worry about it, i've asked numerous question here.

i'd believe that Exit was the first, but someone would have to confirm that. i don't know anything about technical stuff. Quichotte actually came out after Tangram. i think it was only a german release. it was recorded at the Palast Der Republik (pretty sure anyway). it was changed to Pergamon when it was released on other labels later on
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Pergamon_PB

Post by Pergamon_PB »

Superb album, one of my favourites. Bought CD from Virgin Records years ago and it cost me £17.99!!!!
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

Hi Owen,

just in case you dont know that already, a plethora of information on the TD discography can be found here:
http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/voicesrc.htm

I bought Pergamon last year on ebay, nice record (Tangram is one of my fave TD albums, so I like the influences here)
Chris Monk

Re: 'Pergamon' (1980)

Post by Chris Monk »

owen wrote:was it an album that was actually scrapped for some reason? (if so, why?) And how does it compare to other TD albums of the era?.
Pergamon was a live album recorded at the Plast der Republik in East Berlin. It was the first concert by a Western rock band in East Germany and Johannes Schmoelling's first show with the band. It was originally only released in East Germany on the Amiga Label under the name of Quichotte but later found a release on Virgin as Pergamon.

The music is split into two long tracks and shares several themes with Tangram. There's an extended guitar solo by Edgar, a keyboard solo by Johannes and some great sequencer work. To my ears it's sublime, almost on a par with Logos.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
mikewp

Post by mikewp »

It is a fine concert recording, one of my favorite TD albums. But the CD COULD be reissued with a more complete version of the show. There was a boot ( I forget which one) that had decent sound and added about 30 extra minutes. Great stuff - with the endless compilations and reissues, this one really cries out for me.

Well, it cries out to me anyway :D
goozer

Post by goozer »

mikewp wrote:It is a fine concert recording, one of my favorite TD albums. But the CD COULD be reissued with a more complete version of the show. There was a boot ( I forget which one) that had decent sound and added about 30 extra minutes. Great stuff - with the endless compilations and reissues, this one really cries out for me.

Too bad it's not really a recording of actual concert. Part One has been 'sweetened' in the studio, while Part Two was totally created there.

It's still a great album, and is indeed a forerunner of what was to come just two years later...

goozer 8)
Those who believe that the world is made up of shades of grey have been staring at the line between black & white for so long that their vision has become blurred. - HG
http://soundcloud.com/dementia-ranger
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

goozer wrote:
mikewp wrote:It is a fine concert recording, one of my favorite TD albums. But the CD COULD be reissued with a more complete version of the show. There was a boot ( I forget which one) that had decent sound and added about 30 extra minutes. Great stuff - with the endless compilations and reissues, this one really cries out for me.

Too bad it's not really a recording of actual concert. Part One has been 'sweetened' in the studio, while Part Two was totally created there.

It's still a great album, and is indeed a forerunner of what was to come just two years later...

goozer 8)
Yep. I've read that quite a few times over the years. Doesn't bother me one little bit. It's still a great recording regardless of it's source.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I think this is covered by Tree 17
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
hansx

Post by hansx »

alipaul wrote:I think this is covered by Tree 17
Butnow weneed an official release of it. But that never won't seethe light, I fear. :cry:
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Hence the Tree release
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Pergamon part 2 is a favourite of mine, Edgar's guitar solo is colossal, the more you listen to the track, the more it pulls you into it, and I would like TD to do a complete remix of it 8)
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

Desert_Voyager wrote:Pergamon part 2 is a favourite of mine, Edgar's guitar solo is colossal, the more you listen to the track, the more it pulls you into it, and I would like TD to do a complete remix of it 8)
Damn fine track, D_V, damn fine 8)
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
Froesesque

Post by Froesesque »

Desert_Voyager wrote:Pergamon part 2 is a favourite of mine, Edgar's guitar solo is colossal, the more you listen to the track, the more it pulls you into it, and I would like TD to do a complete remix of it 8)
Yeah, I agree about the great guitar solo, but I always picture Chris and Johannes leaving the sequencers running and going for a cup of tea when Edgar starts the solo :o
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Great track. The transition from guitar solo to keyboard solo is just awesome.