Underwater Sunlight planned for September on Esoteric label

rubycon67
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Underwater Sunlight planned for September on Esoteric label

Post by rubycon67 »

Underwater Sunlight will be released on Esoteric on September 2011. Remastered and surely expanded edition ! !
Flashpoint

Re: Underwater Sunlight planned for September on Esoteric l

Post by Flashpoint »

rubycon67 wrote:Underwater Sunlight will be released on Esoteric on September 2011. Remastered and surely expanded edition ! !
Yawn old news :) :arrow: http://tangerinedream-music.com/forum/v ... 0042453f51

To be Franke :), since it likely will feature what I term as Esoteric's house sound, I may avoid unless bonus tracks are something special.
rigel

Re: Underwater Sunlight planned for September on Esoteric l

Post by rigel »

Flashpoint wrote:
rubycon67 wrote:Underwater Sunlight will be released on Esoteric on September 2011. Remastered and surely expanded edition ! !
Yawn old news :) :arrow: http://tangerinedream-music.com/forum/v ... 0042453f51

To be Franke :), since it likely will feature what I term as Esoteric's house sound, I may avoid unless bonus tracks are something special.
I bought this in HMV yesterday. I can confirm it contains "Dolphin Smile" as a bonus track. :D
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

This is my all time fave TD album....The sound quality on this reissue is good but feel the original Jive issue has a much warmer sound and the vinyl is even better.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Yep. Nice to have Dolphin Smile on an official release at last.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
hansx

Post by hansx »

Chris Monk wrote:Yep. Nice to have Dolphin Smile on an official release at last.
That is true, but have to admit that is not very much as bonus. Could have been some more.
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

sparrow wrote:This is my all time fave TD album....The sound quality on this reissue is good but feel the original Jive issue has a much warmer sound and the vinyl is even better.

Yes, the original Jive is really good sounding CD. So is the Relativity. The coldness or sterility of Esoteric release's is due to Noise Reduction. Something that I thought went out in the 90's. No self respecting engineer still uses it. The reason is no matter how they use it music is lost and a harsher cold/sterile sound results. This seems to be Esoteric "trademark" on their CD releases, a bit amateurish of them if you ask me.
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

My copy of Underwater Sunlight is a 2003 Sanctuary (06076-81297-2) release. Don't know about the hardness of sound since I haven't heard any other version. Sounds good imo.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Just been listening to the Jive version versus the Esoteric version and have to say that there is a little more warmth to the old Jive version. Can't say anything about the Sanctuary or Relativity versions because I don't have copies of those.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

71 dB wrote:My copy of Underwater Sunlight is a 2003 Sanctuary (06076-81297-2) release. Don't know about the hardness of sound since I haven't heard any other version. Sounds good imo.

I think the 2003 Sanctuary is better than the Esoteric but inferior to the original Jive and Relativity and of course the vinyl. Underwater Sunlight has a somewhat of a "cold" sound to begin with, Esoteric's use of Noise Reduction exasperates the situation. Did they bother to listen to the recording before they added the Noise Reduction or do they just do it blindly on all their CD issues? I really do not understand Esoteric's "policy" Noise Reduction went out in the mid 90's and for good reason IMHO. A sad situation I feel.

The following pertains to many TD albums not just Underwater Sunlight; the main short coming of the Virgin, Jive and Relativity CD's was the liner notes not the sound. Vinyl is still the overall best for most TD albums.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I have quite a few of the Esoteric remasters..can't see a problem with most but I admit I'm no audiophile..their PFM reissues are superb IMO..
hansx

Post by hansx »

I don't have it yet. I have Poland, Atem and Zeit now, but not listened to it. No time.
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

Flashpoint wrote:Vinyl is still the overall best for most TD albums.
Perhaps so but I don't own a turntable. I am an electric engineer and I have been educated in university that CD is technically superior to vinyl. People like vinyl because they have a "nostalgic" bond to it's distortions but from technical point of view distortions are always wrong in medium. All that sounds good should be in the music itself, that is in the "studio tapes" and distributed in "transparent media". CD is very transparent compared to vinyl.

I also hate crackles and pops of vinyl. Thank god CDs exist!

However, I don't have a problem with people liking vinyl, I understand their nostalgy. But CD/SACDs are my thing.
hansx

Post by hansx »

71 dB wrote:
Flashpoint wrote:Vinyl is still the overall best for most TD albums.
Perhaps so but I don't own a turntable. I am an electric engineer and I have been educated in university that CD is technically superior to vinyl. People like vinyl because they have a "nostalgic" bond to it's distortions but from technical point of view distortions are always wrong in medium. All that sounds good should be in the music itself, that is in the "studio tapes" and distributed in "transparent media". CD is very transparent compared to vinyl.

I also hate crackles and pops of vinyl. Thank god CDs exist!

However, I don't have a problem with people liking vinyl, I understand their nostalgy. But CD/SACDs are my thing.
I have the same feeling, but I admit a friend of mine also has a player and a fantastic installation, he sometimes let me hear the differnce between the cd and the vinyl. In a lot of occasions the vinyl wins. :)
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

hansx wrote: In a lot of occasions the vinyl wins. :)
Wins in what? Covering up the sonic problems of the studio tapes?

The better the original source material is, the better CD does compared to vinyl. Modern classical music recordings are often very good in sound quality. No wonder vinyl is not that popular among fans of classical music.

There is one things vinyl clearly wins: Larger, more impressive cover art!