What if TD did an album of Christmas Carols?

Mars
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Mars »

Insvims wrote:Just the thought of it makes me sick. That is absolutely the last kind of album I want to hear from TD ever!

Agree with you on this. But one track maybe? Yello`s Jingle Bells and Marillions Christmas songs turned out to be pretty good!

One "Tangentified Dream-like song".....why not? But an album? Never!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Mars wrote:
Insvims wrote:Just the thought of it makes me sick. That is absolutely the last kind of album I want to hear from TD ever!

Agree with you on this. But one track maybe? Yello`s Jingle Bells and Marillions Christmas songs turned out to be pretty good!

I've always had a soft spot for Greg Lake's Do You Believe In Father Christmas? or Chris Squire/Alan White's Run With The Fox and Tull's Solstice Bells. So it can be done with taste.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Mars wrote:

I think Marillion's Christmas "songs" are just some funny c r a p. :-p But fortunately they are only released on fan club CD's, given away for free with the membership. An official album with such songs would have been catastrophic.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Just been listening to PPM's Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. So it can be done.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

Would there be a point of TD doing a Christmas carols album from an artistic point of view? I’m struggling to imagine what Edgar would say was the motivation for such a project. Surely, it would only be seen as a blatant commercial exercise and TD’s critics would have field day. I doubt whether Asda and Tesco would stock it unless there was a sizeable marketing campaign behind it ... TD would be in competition with everyone else bustling for a share of the Christmas market. Christmas albums not meant to be taken seriously? I doubt whether Cliff Richard and Val Doonican would agree.

However, I’d be perfectly happy for TD to create an album of original music that evoked a Christmas/winter atmosphere … and it can even have vocals (if it’s as good as ‘Tyger’), but easy on the sleigh bells!
Einstein's Barber (ADMIN)

Post by Einstein's Barber (ADMIN) »

Hi Guys,

Just a little message to limit your advice and discussion around "X-mas songs by TD" here:-):
Edgar loves - as you know - to work with vocals from time to time. Such excursions into the field of emotions shared with 99% of the 'normal' public is to be respected we guess.
But as far as Christmas songs are concerned Edgar would never ever spend just a minute to get into this field of music - whether it is with a singing voice or instrumental. You'll meet Edgar at Christmas in a desert, on icy mountains, in an Asian landscape, but never in a crowded crazy department store, on a Christmas market or sitting under a candle-illuminated X-mas tree. He always kept a distance to the raped and ruined ideal of the real Christmas, which has nothing to do with any of today's celebration including most church ceremonies. Of course, Edgar respects other people's opinion deciding for themselves completely different.
Maybe this helps clearing the fog a bit.....

Regards,
EB (ADMIN)
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. ALBERT EINSTEIN
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Einstein's Barber (ADMIN) wrote:Hi Guys,

Just a little message to limit your advice and discussion around "X-mas songs by TD" here:-):
Edgar loves - as you know - to work with vocals from time to time. Such excursions into the field of emotions shared with 99% of the 'normal' public is to be respected we guess.
But as far as Christmas songs are concerned Edgar would never ever spend just a minute to get into this field of music - whether it is with a singing voice or instrumental. You'll meet Edgar at Christmas in a desert, on icy mountains, in an Asian landscape, but never in a crowded crazy department store, on a Christmas market or sitting under a candle-illuminated X-mas tree. He always kept a distance to the raped and ruined ideal of the real Christmas, which has nothing to do with any of today's celebration including most church ceremonies. Of course, Edgar respects other people's opinion deciding for themselves completely different.
Maybe this helps clearing the fog a bit.....

Regards,
EB (ADMIN)
I am so happy to hear this! That is exactly my opinion on this too.
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

Pheeew! That's a relief to hear... 8)
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

Good for Edgar. I agree.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I liked that EB, thanks for the post. And I think Edgar is right xmas is a confused celebration now, supposed to be a christian celebration but full of pagan rituals. although a lot of people dont really celebrate it for any of these reasons....me included. I actually think I would prefer to be in an icy landscape instead of a crowded shopping centre listening to "frosty The Snowman" as well.

Merry Xmas to all at Eastgate :wink:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Well that settles that one then. :D

....and for what it's worth I tend to agree with Edgar.
redziller

Post by redziller »

hear! hear!
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game