Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

* FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:47 am 

Of all the ones I own there are only a few I don't really like.

Off the top of my head .. Deadly Care, Dead Solid Perfect, Alpha Centauri although I like Fly & Collision on that one.

I own most of their albums and the three I mentioned are maybe the only ones that haven't sun for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:53 am 

There are a few albums in my collection that haven't been played much, but that's mainly because I keep returning to the Virgin years. The ones I play least are from the 90's, but I've found at least one track I really like on just about every TD album I own. The latest TD offerings have me feeling like I did back in the 70's/80's and I eagerly await the next release!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:46 am 

I forgot to mention Ambient Monkeys. I agree Mick most TD albums contain something of interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:13 am 

sparrow wrote:
I forgot to mention Ambient Monkeys. I agree Mick most TD albums contain something of interest.

I love Ambient monkeys, because it reminds me of the build-up to concerts I went to in the late eighties / early nineties... although I conceed one perhaps should have been there to appreciate this.

My two stinkers are Rockoon and Destination Berlin, although either of these can surprise me when I listen to tracks in isolation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:05 am 

For me, the TD albums that get played the least are "Inferno" and "Phaedra 2005". Regarding the former, I've tried a few times to get into this but on the whole I find it quite inaccessible although there may be signs of progress there at last! As for the latter, I'm sure this argument must have been done to death already but I just don't think it adds anything to or improves the original. Even if, however, it's taken as a reinterpretation then IMO it's like passing off a rough scribble and a few splats of paint as a "reinterpretation" of Constable's "The Haywain".

In fairness though, I don't think I "hate" either of these particularly, I would instead label them as TD albums that "get played the least".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:24 am 

For me there are only some soundtrack albums I don't like although in most cases TD weren't responsible for the release: "Deadly Care" and "Catch Me If You Can" are the CDs I never play at all (although I'm glad I own the CDs as I don't like the impression of having missed something :wink: ). And "Zoning" is quite hard to like although there are some tracks on it that are interesting in isolation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:28 am 

sparrow wrote:
Off the top of my head .. Deadly Care, Dead Solid Perfect, Alpha Centauri although I like Fly & Collision on that one.

Those would be my choices and maybe Three O'clock High as well. To be fair to TD though they probably ddn't have much to do with the release of the soundtracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:36 am 

I don't suspect TD were involved in creating many of the soundtrack CDs. Sometimes these CDs work however, e.g. "Near Dark" or "The Park Is Mine", but sometimes they don't. "Three O' Clock High" is another CD that doesn't work for me either, I think I only listened to this one one or two times in total.
I must confess I like "Dead Solid Perfect", but the short pieces should have been edited differently into longer compositions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:44 am 

MrCox wrote:
I don't suspect TD were involved in creating many of the soundtrack CDs. Sometimes these CDs work however, e.g. "Near Dark" or "The Park Is Mine", but sometimes they don't. "Three O' Clock High" is another CD that doesn't work for me either, I think I only listened to this one one or two times in total.
I must confess I like "Dead Solid Perfect", but the short pieces should have been edited differently into longer compositions.

I find Dead Solid Perfect annoying. You're just getting into a great piece of music and it finishes. As you so rightly say it's a shame TD weren't allowed to work the material up into longer pieces.

I also love The Park is Mine despite the quality of the recording, there's some quite outrageous distortion in parts. It would be nice to have the recordings from the original master tapes released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:47 am 

You're right about "Dead Solid Perfect", but I like it nevertheless. :)
The distortion on "Park" IS annoying, but the music is so great I don't bother about that too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:50 am 

The only CD that I avoid consciously is Destination Berlin, which is a collection of muzak. Horrible. Otherwise, I normally find at least one track on any album that i like.

Catch Me If You Can, though is a poor soundtrack. I like Three O'Clock High but is an erratically constructed album. Being on Varese Sarabande, I'm not surprised. Being a collector of soundtracks, their output was odd in the eighties. The worst put together was the Road Warrior music by Brian "I wasn't in Queen" May.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:59 am 

Chris Monk wrote:
I find Dead Solid Perfect annoying. You're just getting into a great piece of music and it finishes. As you so rightly say it's a shame TD weren't allowed to work the material up into longer pieces.

I agree about DSP, but the title track is just SOOOO good, it more than makes up for it imho. Also, Blue Dawn went some way to develop some of the DSP themes, kind of hinting at what the album could have been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:27 am 

On the Silva Screen compilations if i remember rightly the DSP tracks have been put together as a suite about 14mins long.

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:37 am 

I don't like anything about from Rumplestiltskin & Deadly Care !!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:41 am 

I dont care for ZEIT any more :shock:

Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Page 1 of 10 [ 148 posts ] 

Jump to: