TD albums we don't care for?

rattymouse
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by rattymouse »

rotwang wrote:I'm really of two minds when it comes to Mota Atma. I love the music, but it all sounds alike to me. There is little or no distinction between one track and another, with the exception of Prophet in Chains. The percussive element really makes this one stand out from the rest of the pack. It is a good album, just not a varied one IMHO.
Royal Way of Privacy is not only unique to Mota Atma, it is unique to the entire TD output!
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Lonely Cowboy wrote:
sparrow wrote:I've never much cared for Mota Atma either. About two good ideas on a 70 minute album. It seems to wander aimlessly and you keep expecting something to happen. Sadly it never does.
Mota Atma is a soundtrack composition! Most of us maybe didn't realize this. We don't know something of the visual side, pics from the film scenes which maybe fit perfectly to the music. I like this album quite a lot. It shows again another aspect of TD music for which I love the band. Always a surprise.
It could have come with the following info:

This album is a soundtrack and all of the tracks bar one are so very similar! Feel free to pay the price of an album for an EPs worth of music at the most, and that putting it mildly.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

rattymouse wrote:
rotwang wrote:I'm really of two minds when it comes to Mota Atma. I love the music, but it all sounds alike to me. There is little or no distinction between one track and another, with the exception of Prophet in Chains. The percussive element really makes this one stand out from the rest of the pack. It is a good album, just not a varied one IMHO.
Royal Way of Privacy is not only unique to Mota Atma, it is unique to the entire TD output!
Wow, this could be the most over-rated TD album by some, ever! :wink:
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

rattymouse wrote:
endorphin wrote:I have read the comments about Mota Atma with interest and it prompted me to listen to it on the way to work this morning. I personally really like the album and find the minimalistic and almost trancelike quality to the music quite uplifting and hypnotic.
What really makes Mota Atma are the syths used to create this album. Were they to use more boring, conventional sounds such as those found on Rockoon or Turn of the Tides, a recording like Mota Atma would be a disaster.
There are enough fans who feel it is a disaster as it is.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
endorphin wrote:I have read the comments about Mota Atma with interest and it prompted me to listen to it on the way to work this morning. I personally really like the album and find the minimalistic and almost trancelike quality to the music quite uplifting and hypnotic.
What really makes Mota Atma are the syths used to create this album. Were they to use more boring, conventional sounds such as those found on Rockoon or Turn of the Tides, a recording like Mota Atma would be a disaster.
There are enough fans who feel it is a disaster as it is.
The first review I read for Mota Atma before I bought it made sound like a real return to form. I would have bought it anyway but have only listened to it about 7 or 8 times and haven't played it in a long time. I remember it's first spin and I actually found myself wanting to put it off. I know it is a soundtrack but it just seems like it was knocked up in about one day. I can't for the life of me find anything on this CD of great merit.

Regarding the 90's as a whole I liked most of the output. Tyranny, TOTT, Great Wall.., Seven Letters.., Mars Polaris were IMO decent albums which took TD of on another tangent which I at least enjoyed.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

sparrow wrote: The first review I read for Mota Atma before I bought it made sound like a real return to form. I would have bought it anyway but have only listened to it about 7 or 8 times and haven't played it in a long time. I remember it's first spin and I actually found myself wanting to put it off. I know it is a soundtrack but it just seems like it was knocked up in about one day. I can't for the life of me find anything on this CD of great merit.

Regarding the 90's as a whole I liked most of the output. Tyranny, TOTT, Great Wall.., Seven Letters.., Mars Polaris were IMO decent albums which took TD of on another tangent which I at least enjoyed.
Never let anyone try to influence you to change your mind about what you like John, you know who I'm talking about.
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

I think every ... and I mean EVERY ... TD album has at least one or two standout compositions. Even the albums I rarely listen to have some tunes on them that make them worth buying.

I'm not a fan of the "Rockoon" album but I love "Big City Dwarves", "Touchwood" and the title track. My TD collection would just feel incomplete without this album and therefore I never regretted the purchase. 8)

Maybe "Mota Atma" would work better as an album with two or three tracks removed from the tracklist. But I must admit I couldn't say which tune would have to leave. It's just that a 70 minutes long soundtrack may be a bit much for some people. As I said I like the album. :wink:
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

I thought SIN was one of these records, for the first five listens, but as MrCox, there's always some music, that's worthwile. And it has grown on me, although the watery sounds makes me need to go to the bathroom.
I think the worst TD album is The Hollywood Years Vol.2
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
I really got into Mota Atma when it was first released, probably because it had been quite a while since they had done anything like that. My interest soon faded and now I think of it as a so-so album but not a real stinker, one or two good tracks.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I dug out Mota Atma earlier and listened all the way through. There are some reasonable moments and it does contain some new sounds on it. It's still too long though but maybe it's not in there with the worst TD albums.
hansx

Post by hansx »

Chris Monk wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
rattymouse wrote: Royal Way of Privacy is not only unique to Mota Atma, it is unique to the entire TD output!
I really got into Mota Atma when it was first released, probably because it had been quite a while since they had done anything like that. My interest soon faded and now I think of it as a so-so album but not a real stinker, one or two good tracks.
I like Mota, it was finally an album with some decent numbers on it after a lot of disappointing ones. But what do you expect after so many albums. Of course there are some disappointing titles in the huge collection.
Froesesque

Post by Froesesque »

Desert_Voyager wrote:Mota Atma is just the best album by TD at making me feel so bored with it's incredible level of monotony. It should have been an EP, not an album for goodness sake. I nearly deserted TD when I got to this album.... Jeanne D'Arc restored my faith.
Mmm, yes. If you listen very carefully to Mota Atma you will here that most of the tracks are a variation on maybee a handfull of ideas. But thats the last I'm going to say as I know a lot of people love this album
:roll:
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Froesesque wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:Mota Atma is just the best album by TD at making me feel so bored with it's incredible level of monotony. It should have been an EP, not an album for goodness sake. I nearly deserted TD when I got to this album.... Jeanne D'Arc restored my faith.
Mmm, yes. If you listen very carefully to Mota Atma you will here that most of the tracks are a variation on maybee a handfull of ideas. But thats the last I'm going to say as I know a lot of people love this album
:roll:
It shouldn't matter if the whole world loved Mota Atma, lol.... you are entitled to your say as much as you like about whether you like it or not. That is just what this topic is for. :roll: